Where are you going to get your Apex Flex implanted?

it would be possible to use the custom needle, but you would probably need the professional to insert it to the mark, then use a forceps to grip the hollow and carefully advance it the rest of the way. Without a forceps there is a risk the needle could get pushed entirely under the skin and then you have a problem.

1 Like

No: you have an implant :slight_smile:

3 Likes

haha

wolverine-finger

4 Likes

Yeah that’s a bit long

No problem, I can fit that in my fingers… It is flexible right, because it is going to have to hinge in the middle for my knuckle. :unicorn_shock_surprise:

1 Like

It’s not that flexible… But I suspect that you already know that. :wink:

1 Like

Actually I could just fit it on the third metacarpal bone on some of my fingers but it would be a tight fit.

What is the rule again for back of the hand, do you want the flex to be placed over the metacarpal bone or in between the metacarpals, or does it not matter?

FWIW, one of my flex is in-between two metacarpals (where I wanted it) and the other is riding on top of the tendon and bone (where I didn’t want it, but my installer was a bit too full of ethanol when he did that one).

Both are fine, but the misplaced one sticks out when the sinew gets tight. It’s both a blessing and a curse: it helps the implant get closer to the reader, but it also exposes it to shocks.

Anyway, my point is, you’ll be fine either way, most likely :slight_smile:

1 Like

how?

It would depend on how wide it is, but that is 60 mm (or 168 point) from joint to joint. 40 mm would fit on the non bending bit in the middle.

I realise that this actually shows the index metacarpal, but my third metacarpal is about as long, my fourth is probably also just long enough but the wedding ring would be an issue and the fifth metacarpal would be way too close for comfort (50mm joint to joint)… So 2nd or 3rd carpal could work… But I wouldn’t do that.

(Although flipping every reader off might make it worthwhile.)

1 Like

The problem isn’t bending the implant. Well it is… even the flexible part of any flex will fatigue-fail in a hurry near or over a joint.

The real problem is that the implant would be too long when the finger is extended: there are some ligaments or aponeurosis or something fibrous at the joints, and when you extend your finger, the dorsal part over the phalange gets shorter and the implant will get compressed and “bump” on that stuff. You’ll feel it real good with a 40 mm implant - if you can even extend your finger fully at all.

In my full-size finger, I reckon 28 mm is the maximum implant size I could fit before painful stuff starts happening.

2 Likes

Sounds kinda sketchy ngl

I still think 40 mm could fit, but it would be a tight squeeze. I also imagine that a 40 mm long flex would likely be too wide to fit comfortably.

I taped that steel ruler tightly to my finger and could still flex my finger easily enough. But I really wouldn’t do this. I still think that for me I would be best placing it just above the wrist.

No it couldn’t. You don’t understand: there’s something under the skin at the joints that the edges of the implant physically bump onto and the implant just can’t get past it - and you’ll be crying if you insist because it effing hurts. It will very definitely prevent you from extending your finger fully - or, if you get past the pain somehow, it will compress and bow out the implant. Because there isn’t any space for it to slide past.

If I force my flexNT forward or backward when my finger is extended, I can feel the hard stuff and it sends a jolt of electricity in my hand each and every time without fail.

1 Like

If I completely avoid any hint of joint there is at least 32mm with my fingers extended.

What you are talking about appears to be the collateral ligaments which are around the joints. Anatomical diagrams come in handy.

So, you are correct, and I didn’t know enough about the anatomy of my hand.

1 Like

Seems like your hands are bigger than mine :slight_smile:

Yeah I think that’s the structures you’re talking about. I’m not a doctor and I don’t know much anatomy. But I have enough Amal gizmos in enough places to know where it’s gonna hurt.

The same problem exists over the metacarpals in fact: the implant can’t slide past a sort of transverse ligament lying just behind the metacarpal heads. This stuff pushes the implant backwards when you extend your fingers, so much that the implant ends up way back, almost at the wrist, which seems counterintuitive considering how much room there seems to be on the back of a hand. So much so that my flexM1 was riding over the wrist bones and just short enough to avoid being bent when I bent my wrist - but only just.

The human body is full of strange stuff that isn’t readily apparent when you look at it from the outside. I’ve learned more about what’s inside me thanks to my Amal gizmos than from books, that’s for damn sure :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m going to get mine near my wrist one of these days when @amal remembers to ship. That vice reporter seems MIA, so I guess I’ll go forward without her. I’ll be using the needle install as usual with no pain management or stitches.

It will likely also be the first needle install with the bowed design, so I’ll report back.

3 Likes

I wish that was me… I hope that my chips get here Soon™.

I’m thinking about getting an Apex Flex on R3.5 but that’s a long term thing for now.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Microchiped or frequencies, mindreading, 24/7 followed or watched