Would you like to learn super basic programming?

Cool, it seems like there’s enough interest.

Now the next question.
I’m trying to figure out how to set it up. It would be best if everyone had an arduino board and some light supplies like wire, and a few electrical parts. An arduino is 22.00 US on amazon. Would everyone be willing to spend a few dollars on this? I could put together a shopping list. The other small parts would be pretty cheap stuff.

Alternatively, there are arduino simulators we could use, but I really think everyone would learn much much more from having actual stuff to work with. Plus, as we go, you will likely end up building something you will want to use and or keep.

I’d take the opportunity! I definitely plan on tinkering a bit with programming once I have my FlexNExT, or even sooner.

In my trial-run of college (read: “before I dropped out”), I took a few computer science classes including Python, C++, and discrete structures math. I’ve got the basics down pretty well, but kind of miss coding. I wouldn’t mind a refresher and it might be fun to follow along. :+1:

Trying to figure a workable budget for most people who want to work with actual hardware.

For the following.
1 Arduino Uno
1 Breadboard kit (3 small breadboards with jumper wires)
1 RC522 RFID reader
2 10K breadboard friendly Potentiometers
2 5MM red LEDs
2 330 ohm resistors
2 small switches

Total $30.52

That should be enough parts to demonstrate most basic coding on this, plus the RC522 module will allow us to build a basic tag scanner. I haven’t messed with these units yet, but I think they will write also. If a person was interested in going farther it could be used to run just about anything like the xAC units, but more programmable.

Thoughts?

4 Likes

It might be worth swapping the Uno for a Pro Micro - more breadboard friendly and smaller for if people want to make it into a installed reader like @Chimpofm did

I am interested. I have a raspberry Pi3 starter kit I think it is. My fiance got it for me as I wanted to try and teach myself. Is this audrino equivalent? I have a lot of complexities to joining in depending on how you were going to teach. I am in Australia and perhaps a different time zone and it may be difficult to source items in an economical and timely fashion to keep up. I work away from home 7/7 roster, i am away atm so cannot confirm what version raspberry bits and pieces I have. I look forward to hearing if it is going to be feasable to s tag along.

I’m willing to spend that much for some beginner tutelage (:

@ODaily, may I suggest adding something like a little buzzer or a servo as an optional thing to it?
The buzzer can be used for a little extra feedback, which is always nice
And adding a Servo could be used to turn this exercise into an actual simple door lock with a little extra hardware.
Example: these few 3d printed part and a servo can be used for making a simple lock https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2784763
(requires a certain servo type though)
(I checked the internet and saw that those parts can be ordered printed for around $10

I honestly just prefer a little tutorial that results in something usable :stuck_out_tongue:

@Pris68, While I have no experience with the raspberrys i can offer you a guide I found that’s focused on running arduino code on a raspberry

1 Like

@ODaily got a better option

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085RH64YZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_22PIFbMF9DMHY

Sign me up too. I’m a professional embedded software programmer, but there’s always something new to learn. I just want to attend and watch the proceedings, not comment on anything.

1 Like

Make sure not to “like” too much stuff lol

Yeah, about the like thing… I don’t mean to be rude to nobody, but that’s totally alien to me. It never occurs to me to “like” something: if I really like it, I say so.

Also, I have no intention of helping some AI do profiling on me. So, no likes.

1 Like

It’s whatever,

I just really enjoy

22700 posts read, 1 like

1 Like

Maybe, due to the eclectic collection of requests if would be worth to start with a simulator and then to progress to specific projects.
I am interested in designing a reader.

Lots of good input.

We’ll have to stick with one specific hardware though. Basically have everyone doing the same thing or it’ll be pandemonium.

@Devilclarke I looked at those kits, but they were really expensive on U.S. amazon. Don’t know the conversion rate. I also saw they lacked a few things like a potentiometer. I’ll look at them again, maybe I can find something suitable. It would be nice to just get one thing and be done.

I figure we’ll have to run the option of hardware or simulator with the same stuff. I really think the experience will be much better on hardware, but not everyone can drop the cash. On the plus side, a person could always go back later and hardware up.

1 Like

I have been trying with the idea of wanting to make an NES emulator inside of an altoid mint tin.

I also k ow nothing about doing this, except I saw it once and really really want it. Or SNES. I just want one game on it.

I have to opt for the simulator atm, as my project would be rather specific in terms of layout, so I have to make a custom pcb and so. Also once I get the boards out I want to print a few photos on pcbs and I’d rather do it next year. However the simulator sounds absolutely lovely!
In terms of controller… you tell me. I used to have a handful somewhere… they gone. No preference.

O.K.,
@Devilclarke got me to go back and look at the kits again, and they do have some without all the crazy bells and whistles if you go looking.

I found THIS KIT on Amazon for 29.99 + free ship for prime customers. I think this may be the best deal going. It’s also a little less money and a lot more bang for the buck.

Could I get a couple of people not in the U.S. to check and see if they can find the exact same kit on their local Amazon? I want to keep this something everyone can do exactly the same.

Not shipping to the UK =(
But don’t worry about me, I’ll look at my local shop, they have kits on shelves.

Seems like a pretty good deal.

Edit: double checked… amazing deal!

it doesn’t have the rfid parts included though