xEM Access Controller + Kwikset Powerbolt 2

I was reading the RFID Toys book by Amal and was interested in adding RFID to my front door. It seems the info is a bit dated for the front door project. I am unable to locate the Powerbolt 1000 to buy but I found that the Powerbolt 2 is available. Is it possible to combine the xEM Access Controller and Kwikset Powerbolt 2 to build out this project?

I don’t know anything about circuit boards but plan to use this project to learn how it all works.

Ebay is selling the Powerbolt 2 PCB and has a pretty good image of what the internal circuitry looks like.

Any help would be great, thank you.

2 Likes

Not likely because the inside box has no lock/unlock button. That’s what you would be manipulating with the xEM access controller relay.

Toy could explore the Samsung Ezon line of deadbolts… those have readers on the outside for mifare (xM1) but also a lock/unlock button on the inside.

1 Like

I live in an apartment and can’t remove the key hole as the landlord will still need access. My main idea was to not install the keypad side and only use the backside of the Kwikset Powerbolt for the servo. Do you know of another product that would have the lock/unlock solder points?

1 Like

I did some searching and found a remote deadbolt. With the help of this community I should be able to wire up the remote to the xEM Access Controller to lock/unlock the deadbolt. Does this sound feasible? Am I heading in the right direction?

1 Like

There are other suggestions on the open source lock thread, gimdow and danalock. Neither is quite what I am looking for. I want more of a component solution, but it doesn’t look like there is one yet.