xG3 trying to push out

Thank you! Yes I actually learned this pretty quick, I felt my heartbeat in it and it wasn’t a great experience the first day, but I’ve been trying to keep it above my head and I’m feeling really good about it now.

There’s just some bruising now, it needs to breathe but I work three seasons shooting guns and moving ammo. This means lots of work with my hands. Cuts are normal, dust and carbon is inevitable. So to keep all the dust out, I’ve had to keep it covered and the bandaid sealed. I also had a few boxes hit it, that wasn’t great but it didn’t seem to effect it much.

It’s the end of day two and it’s still clean, no signs of infection, it’s not really even sore. It just looks bruised. It’s not groundhogging as of right now either. The bottom is still just a blood blister that’s slowly healing, there’s nothing in there. (Not the other side of the implant or anything).

I plan on leaving it uncovered a few hours tomorrow now that it’s stopped bleeding and seems like it’s closing up.

Below is pictures as promised, if anyone’s got any more tips and advice I really appreciate it!

It looks a bit white/moist , keep it dry :wink: maybe cover each wound with a steristrips to let the rest dry. (Not a doctor)

1 Like

From what I know, that’s not really optimal… “playing” to much with a magnet while it’s trying to heal might lead to rejection, and carrying stuff made of metal might be pretty similar :wink:

1 Like

Some good first aid would be to splint it so you don’t use it accidentally. Just make sure your splint doesn’t push on the wound.
Not professional advice, just your friendly neighborhood Eagle Scout! Lol

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! Yeah I’m gonna let it dry a little tonight. It’s been real hard trying to keep it away from metal objects but the bright side is the next few days should be a lot less active with it. I unbandaged it again today and it looks a bit more bruised where the magnet is under the skin I’m hoping that’s just form the past day today and it’ll hopefully go away in a few days.

I’m gonna try the splint method and see if that helps me reduce its amount of accidental use!

I think I might actually try to use some of my saniderm that I use for tattoos and see how that goes…

1 Like

That will keep it moist. I would wash my hands with soap and water, and just put a piece of nonstick gauze there and put a piece of tape there. It would keep it covered from grime, but let it breath enough to dry out some.

Think it is harder to break through a wet piece of cardboard or a dry one?

Just my take.

3 Likes

That makes sense, I’ll give it a try!

Update: so today I tried @Backpackingvet ‘s recommendation and just let her dry with nothing on it after work. A few hours in and I think there’s a lot of progress.

I guess I underestimated the bruising because it’s pretty bruised around where the implant is.

Bright side is it’s hardly sore at all and other than where the implant is, the finger is at normal color, it’s not really swollen much, I don’t feel my heartbeat in it or anything, and today the occasional bleeding had stopped all together when I let it dry.

Considering how well it’s sealed the past few hours, I’m thinking about leaving it uncovered overnight. Any suggestions against this idea? I don’t want to rush the healing process and risk infection.

(And of course, I’m just asking opinions, I know most of you guys aren’t doctors or anything, but I value y’all’s experience to a great extent and with the understanding that everyone’s body is different, I’m always looking forward to hearing new advice!)

Thanks!! :smile:

@HoneyBadger, any updates?

3 Likes

@HoneyBadger, I am also curious how your finger is!

1 Like

Hey everybody! I do have some updates!

So we are about a week and a couple days in now. The swelling and bruising has gone down, the tissue isn’t sore unless I push on it and even then it’s just a little sore deep behind the implant.

I know it’s probably got a good bit more healing to do than it normally would because when it originally groundhogged when I removed the needle, I pushed it in and I’m pretty sure I made a new canal for it but so far it looks pretty good.

The bottom scab is under the skin, it’s just dried blood at this point and the implant isn’t behind it. As far as the top one goes, it’s well closed up and seems to be getting smaller by the day.

About 5 days ago I was able to pretty much resume normal day to day activities, I can shoot guns, move boxes (if I’m careful), type letters and all that. As far as lifting any furniture or working out, it’s still a little sore so I don’t see myself even considering that for at least a few weeks.

As far as the magnet goes, it kind of caught me off guard. I use power step downs and other electrical converters and definitely felt a buzzing when my hand got near one the other day. Also while cleaning a junk drawer, a couple tacks stuck to the wall of the container I was holding. All in all it was pretty cool but from what I’ve read on other threads, I’m trying to avoid interaction between metal and the magnet until at least 3 weeks of healing to ensure proper healing and prevent rejection.

Now I’m just waiting for a little of the redness surrounding the implant to disappear and for the incision point to heal. Below I attached a couple photos.

3 Likes

@ttenneb @Backpackingvet

2 Likes

Just makes me want one more then ever… thanks for the update!

So the Xg3 is great. The magnet is strong, the packaging was great, precautions of sterilization were well made with the product.

I was doing great on healing. I had some issues initially because I came too close to the surface at one point but then decided to run with it. Then it ground-hogged and I jammed it in trying to save it.

Long story short the healing was going good and I was watching it. Then I had a period of time which I had to hold an all metal rifle all day (I was thinking might’ve influenced a rejection), and then while packing some stuff I got my finger caught on a spiral notebook and it felt like the implant got shifted. (Pulled in a downward motion and the skin got caught between the spirals and pulled).

24 hours later, she’s red, swollen like twice the normal size of my finger, tender to the touch. I figured maybe I ripped the capillaries inside and it was looking blood and it’ll be okay. Ice and ibuprofen.

Next day, equally sore and red. I considered removing it, I considered draining the blood. To start I poked a little hole into my finger and gave her a little squeeze. Sure enough, I learned it had become infected. A 20 second diy surgery later I popped it out, drained it, cleaned it up and soaked it in betadine. Then a little bandage with some neosporin, I feel I’ve been removed from the community.

Honestly a lil sad, it was a great experience but damn it needed to come out. I’d like to try again in the future, on my other hand and now, with significantly more experience. Until then, I’ll be lurking around the forums, reading and watching. Maybe find a smaller easier implant. The Xg3 was definitely not something for beginners.

I’m not leaving, I’m just saying see y’all later. :pensive:

7 Likes

You made the right decision! Noone ever like it when it goes south but health is so much more important than anything else.

4 Likes

proud of you for having the wits to admit it needs to come out. take a lot of courage to admit that to yourself, heres to a future of different implants!

1 Like

Not at all, and also your shared experience will benefit others in the future.
Think of it as a failed experiment.

Keep lurking, buy yourself a NExT, keep an eye on M31 revival? Not yet, just letting you know though
although it is not

Thanks again for sharing, and heal well :adhesive_bandage:

6 Likes

Think of it as education for other people to use as a resource.

I have never installed a magnet before, and have been trying ti figure out the best way to install the xG3. I now know from you, that I am going to insert it from below my joint. (If the ufo isn’t released soonish)

1 Like

Thank y’all so much for the support. And I really hope that my thread gets utilized as a reference for when things go bad as well as tips for the first day of healing and expectations for what you’ll feel.

I like how it was mentioned as a failed experiment. I will look at it like that. There’s always a possible future and this attempt was just a failure is all. And I’m happy to have learned from it and experienced it.

Already in about 8 hours, My finger feels much better. The pressure from the pooling of fluid is gone, the discoloration is already disappearing, it’s nowhere near as tender. I’m happy that I made the decision I made.

Now looking at the perspective of a new reader. I do not recommend a first time self installation unless you have some sort of a medical or piercing experience. I had enough to have the confidence and even I made a mistake by being too close to the surface. I can imagine what could happen with someone who is new and randomly poking themselves. So please find someone who knows the importance of sterilization, piercing and some sort of knowledge of human biology and the reactions to certain things. (For example, blood flow and knowing to tie a tourniquet and squeezing blood out of the finger prior to injection of the implant).

Also, the removal. So I’m currently at a place with no hospital or reliable medical resource. But I have a bit of a medical background and was confident in opening my body up to remove a foreign object. If you don’t know what you’re doing this can be very very dangerous so please take advantage of your local overnight surgery or E.R.

Thanks again y’all for the support. I genuinely appreciate it and all of your time reading my first dangerous things adventure. It really was a great couple weeks and I can’t wait until my next project. And hopefully the next one will be better. Again, I feel much more confident for the next one now that I have an idea what I’m doing and what to expect.

Quick review on the xG3, it’s a really awesome magnet. Again, the packaging was great, Amal did a great job creating these kits. Also the PMK kit is awesome. Make sure you know what you’re doing before using it, if you know how to properly use it, it’s a lifesaver. And may the gods bless y’all who don’t use lidocaine. You’ve got my respect. The magnet (for the duration I had it) was really cool. There were a few instances I had some cool world problems that most people don’t have, like paper lips and tacks sticking to my hand when cleaning a drawer out. Also, I felt power in my “step down” systems (they change voltage from 220 to 110) as well as my alarm clock. It’s like a 6th sense and it’s absolutely wild. It was worth the attempt to install the magnet and I highly recommend it to anyone interested and looking into it. If my word has any influence on you, I say go for it, try it out and hope it works out. If it doesn’t, it’s still an experience you’re unlikely to regret. If it doesn’t work, you can always get it removed.

Thanks for your time,
See y’all on the other threads!
-Badger

2 Likes

Something subliminal in there, but I can’t quite put my finger on it [pun not intended]

2 Likes