Xsiid wont read or write

Have never attampted to write ndef but theoreticaaly is that easily fixable for a newbie?

It was scanning just fine just a couple of hours ago and the led is as bright as can get when i posted originally

You used “add record” right?

That’s NDEF
On tag writer they’re called datasets

Yes I used Add record, then whatever i wanted (i usually put a yt link to rick roll people) then write, approach nfc tag, and it would write.

1 Like

Sounds good, I don’t think you can brick it by doing that. I think the best thing you can do is to avoid disturbing the implant location too muche and wait a week or so for any inflammation to go away. Btw how deep is it? Can you see it’s shape through the skin?

Yes i can see it somewhat easily in my skin.

1 Like

You really can’t brick the xSIID unless you authenticate first, then change some of the config data in the last pages of the first sector (first 1kb). What you can do is mess up the NDEF record in certain ways that make it hard for iPhone and in some cases also Android to read or so anything with it… but you can fix these types of issues, generally speaking. For more info on this, check out;

When it comes to the xSIID lighting up but not reading, the bare minimum I can tell you is that the chip and antenna are receiving power from the phone. The LED gets power from the chip’s power harvesting outputs, so there is no functional problem with the chip or antenna. This is a coupling / performance issue, or a fixable issue with memory configuration.

I would try using the Dangerous Things Support Tool to try to write a blank NDEF record to the xSIID;

1 Like

Ah hell, i guess s22 ultra is too new for the support tool. I get the “this app was made for an older version of android” message.

You should still be able to open it though after seeing the message right?

Download button isnt even appearing. This is in play store

Still no response from tag or phone

This feels like a coupling issue. The LED will consume power from the field before the chip has enough power to communicate.

Is there a case on your phone? Do you have any other readers you could experiment with?

I dont have any other readers on me. I do have a case on my phone but its very minimalistic and thin, i even tried taking it off.

Hmm ok. Have you tested the absolute best orientation on your phone using a field detector keychain?

Anyone else have a different model of phone that could be tested with?

I soft bricked mine doing just that, Android really really didn’t like the tag. Had to use some random 3rd party(non the usual) NFC app to get it to work. If I had a proxmark, I likely would’ve been able to fix it easier

1 Like

I wonder if it has to do with write errors or being disconnected at the wrong time. You’d think an nfc tag is designed to handle being disconnected at any time. At least I thought so.

I think this is key, that a good coupling was made, but for whatever reason the user moved just enough to lose it and have only half data written to the tag, leaving android clueless as to whats in front of it. Especially with these x series tags, I feel like if I breathe wrong it will lose that coupling

1 Like

You’re probably right there’s just one thing bothering me. Even if you have half an ndef writen the first “header” blocks are still unchanged. Sure android would be confused but apps like tag info which just dump the entire content should at least be able to read the first blocks and even dump the rest wether it makes sense or not. :thinking: I might look into that, since I’m coding an nfc tool I’d like it to handle these edge cases

2 Likes

Ive got a proxmark easy on order dirct from DT I’ll have to learn it and try scanning again

Also, just for a quick fMi ( like a fyi but for me) what is meant when you say “coupling error” in newbie terms?

Loosing the connection with the implant. Ie. Not providing it enough power because the reader is too weak or moved during the process.