ZINC :zinc: Android NFC cyborg multitool development

Time for an update in case anyone reads my biomagnet fanatic dev ramblings anymore :joy::

The spherical rendering of “magnetic field worlds” works now. From the phone orientation tracking to the sampling of data from a 360 image that encodes the “world” to the actual rendering through the audio usb c output.
I call it Bubble Worlds now :man_shrugging:
Maps are encoded in the rgb channels of a 360 image. Each channel can be assigned a different type of haptic feedback rendering.
I can base the feedback on the intensity of the channel or the direction of the channel’s gradient.
The whole thing can work in stereo too, assuming there are separate stimulation devices and magnets for L and R. This could give a higher spatial awareness but for now let’s stick to mono.

Maps, as I said are basically images so anyone can make one and drop it in the designated folder. I found a great tool for making them that I will be linking to.

On the NFC front I have written down the read patterns for all type 2 NTAGs so they can be scanned thoroughly
but fast :fast_forward: and also provide sintaxic colorization of the read results.
I do have plans for nfc based games and experiences too but not until I have the ndef writing working. I will focus on type 2 NTAGs for now and will expand later to all types of android compatible tags.
In fact I have bought a Flipper to emulate most of them for testing.

I think I will be making more videos and screen caps in the future as they are much more explanatory.

5 Likes

Every single time, i look forward to them and enjoy them .
Thanks

Keep 'em coming

:flipperzero_white:

giphy (28)

Side note
when looking for that “welcome to the club” .gif

Ive seen this one pop up, I almost sent it once before seeing the end, but that might not give off the vibe i’m implying

welcome-to-the-club-buddy

200w (5)

2 Likes

I just stumbled on this one the other day, I thought it may be another option for your game development
A free
colour palette generator

1 Like

Thanks! I’m slowly getting a hamg of colors and I’m starting to have fun with color pixel art. With this multi tool I went for something simpler with two simple gradients :black_circle::orange_circle:

1 Like

Love this project. Read through everything and then explored your git in hopes of finding a prerelease of the toolkit and was sad. Excited to see what you come up with

1 Like

Thanks! I plan on releasing a beta on Android in the end of June or July.
There is no public repo yet for the app but in the meantime you can check out the Lodestone Pico a little gadget I make that will be used in multiple biomagnet related tools in the app.

Are you more interested in the NFC stuff or magnets?
NFC functionality will be very basic in the early releases and will be improved progressively.
The magnets features will mostly work in tandem with the lodestones. They are based on previous work so you can expect some fun stuff in the early releases too.

1 Like

I’ve been going through the NFC sub menu options and I don’t see a continuous read option.

Unless it’s the Listen NfcV option which doesn’t seem to react.

The NFC functions. I haven’t gone the magnet route, just the NFC. I have an xsiid and xEm and am about to pick up the new Magic

But I like the idea of a continuous read that can power the xsiid.

My use case that triggered my interest is you mentioned triggering more frequent NFC scanning. Right now with my phone in it’s case I can occasionally read or write. But if I take the case off it works fine. Was hoping with your app if it can trigger a longer cycle to the reader I wouldn’t have to take the case off to trigger.

Anyways love the work you’re doing

1 Like

That works already and will be in there

That’s a bit more complicated and relies on your phone’s antenna, android’s nfc implementation and more but I will be doing my best to get the best performance.

1 Like

So I want users on my app to be able to submit their biomagnet test results (optionally and anonymously) and collect them online to be publicly available for study.
I was going to upload the results as files (json or csv or whatever) to some repo or cloud but obviously a database would be smarter and more scalable long term. Also more efficient when someone decides to do some analysis…
That said my database knowledge is kinda limited to very basic sql and I’m already too deep in many rabbit holes. Can someone setup something quickly and easily? I can query an online database from Unity pretty easily.
If not I will stick to the files option and see how it goes!

3 Likes

Whatdya need? MySQL, PostgeSQL, MongoDB? I can spin up something on my homelab server for you to use if you want.

4 Likes

I need to:

• Be able to add data to it with a php request from the app. Mostly lists of numbers linked to a set of info on the implant.
  • Have it be publicly readable/downloadable online (maybe have a basic front end for users who want to query something manually?).
  • Ideally free? I doubt it will get big anytime soon given the expected amount of users.

That’s about it.
I think I can write down what tables are needed if that helps. I have some memories of my db classes in uni :sweat_smile:
I believe I’ve used MySQL in the past but given the project scale I think you can use whatever works for you.

2 Likes

Don’t stone me with bricks, but what about a Google doc spreadsheet? Don’t they have APIs and isn’t that easily shared online for public download?

1 Like

I thought of that but the data is a bit too complex and numerous for it to be usable. Also it’s not super scalable.

And also :brick:

4 Likes

Something can be setup in the cloud, I guess. An Azure PaaS DB for instance.

3 Likes

@StarGazer1258 has a MariaDD server setup :ok_hand:I will try it today

3 Likes

Yesterday I got tired of manually testing out colors for the UI so I made a simple theme system and I can now swap the colors and gradients in an instant.

Sneak peek

3 Likes

@amal or anyone with a collection of unimplanted implants any chance have or can take high res photos of each of them on a solid background?
The ones I was able to collect and edit from the internet are at best pixelated. They don’t look super good :neutral_face:

Also everyone, let me know of all the discontinued implants you can think of, DT or not (made in batches and that have a name, not custom stuff). I might not know some of them.
I can think of:
FlexNext
Spark
m31
xGLO
Sense52
Firefly
North Star

3 Likes

I only have a picture of the flexMT, not sure if it’s any better since it’s a light blue background.

Nah, I need them out of the pouch with an easy-to-detour background and possibly a macro lens. The problem is we don’t tend to keep them out in the open :man_shrugging:
In fact if someone could do that with the 2/4 sides I could map that on a 3D model…

2 Likes