Any other young people?

Thought I would chime in now that I actually have my implants. I’m 19, living in a different city due to college (same state though). My college town recently got a DT partner added to the map (only partner in the state), so it seemed like the perfect opportunity to do something I’ve wanted to do since I was about 16. Don’t know how I’m gonna break it to my parents next time I go home lmao.

2 Likes

Crazy how it’s been nearly 2 years since I got my xNT

1 Like

Best part about being an adult is that you don’t have to. :+1:t2:

3 Likes

Yeah haha, I’m not worried about it, IDGAF what they think. My main concern is when I go home in November I’m going to start my car conversion project. Since I’m working on it at their house, I’m guessing they’ll want to know why, and my dad occasionally drives my car. I brought up the idea of converting my car to use RFID cards, but it’s a pretty lame reason without bringing up my implants. Not worried about the consequences of bringing it up, but I think it’s still better that I do mention it at some point.

4 Likes

Telling them because of the car is probably better, coz they immediately see the practicality of it.

1 Like

Do you parents have any particular reason to get mad because you got implants? Are they religious nutjobs, conspiracy theorists or luddites or something? Because if they’re reasonably sane, maybe your mom will slightly sad that her pristine baby isn’t in the state she brought you into this world anymore - they all get a bit emotional when their offsprings get their first tattoo, piercing or whatever - but they shouldn’t have any cause to get really upset.

Nope, thankfully they’re pretty “normal” overall. I already came out to them as gay a year ago or so, that probably cushioned the blow for any future shit I could possibly tell them. I’ll probably take the whole “it’s like a piercing but not even visible” approach. I’ll then try and play it off as a good thing for my future career as well (CS major hoping to go into either pentesting or embedded device development).

4 Likes

You pulled that off and you’re concerned about what they might say about a couple implants? :slight_smile:

Don’t you worry about nothing. My mom isn’t exactly the most open-minded person when it comes to “them sideshow freak things youngsters do nowadays” and she accepted mine without a hitch, because they’re totally invisible.

2 Likes

I haven’t done that on this forum yet.

2 Likes

Well now you have

3 Likes

Can confirm this does make telling parents anything else really easy.

I did this too, and I really believe it tbh, I have stopped looking at piercings and tattoos I want and started saving for implants instead XD

All in all, it sounds like you already are confident in your decision (seeing as you have already gotten the implant) and you know your parents will not throw you out over it. But I get the nerves of it, even when you know they will be chill its still scary not knowing Exactly how they will respond.

3 Likes

I came to this thread to say I’m young, and then it slowly occurred to me that over 30 really isn’t young anymore

Excuse me while I start drinking

7 Likes

Only a 30-something would say that :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s called denial ok?

1 Like

I just came across this and starting to feel old :sweat_smile: … I turned 18 on September 20th and still waiting for my first implant. Being fascinated about everything what has to do with magnets, I always wanted a magnet to be my first implant. I still hope that I get the money together for a Titan… If this doesn’t work out I will place a order for the xG3 soon. :magnet: :grinning:

6 Likes

In a similar situation, how did you buy it? I’m looking into getting one in a couple months(I need to wait for my hands to grow enough for me to feel safe)

1 Like

In a similar situation, please update so that I can do it too:)

Self install is highly unadvised. But there is nothing stopping you from buying it on DT

Self install is a last resort. I am looking around my area though, and all the places willing to do it are 18+. I think it is what will happen, however I will be doing it in at least a year when I can get a job.( I was fired due to pandemic)

1 Like

Hi, unfortunately not much progress has been made since I last posted (a long time ago). However, my parents are now fine with me getting an Implant which is good. The one problem now is finding someone who will actually install the implant; this wasn’t easy before the pandemic and now I assume it is practically impossible. I will not resort to a self implant (for safety reasons) and I will probably just have to wait a little while until I can find an installer.

2 Likes