Book recommendation thread

but basically no good books:-{|–<

Update: read 1st dark tower book, the mist, and cujo.

I got my implanted hands on The Rebel by Albert Camus. Should be core reading. :ok_hand:

Candide, or Optimism, by Voltaire. I read it once when I was younger, it felt good to read again - and the critique of Leibnizian optimism is just so biting yet still funny

Anything Haruki Murakami.

Currently re reading 1Q84 and loving every second of it.

1 Like

I just looked that one up and the Wikipedia entry instantly made me want to read it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

try a kindle, kobo, or basically, any waterproof e-reader that has an internal light, they are amazing and won’t fuck up your eyes like a book(why I have glasses).

I’ve been using a kindle since 2010. Doesn’t stop me from buying way more books than I need. Last time I was in London I left the tate bookshop with 15kg of books which I made up for by leaving half my stuff behind so I could fly with them.

2 Likes

fair enough, I myself had a shelf of about 500 books before I moved here.

On a similar note, you might enjoy Six Four by Hideo Yokoyama. It’s about a police detective struggling with an old, unsolved case, and his personal life. So many satisfying twists.

so, I just finished the stand by steohen king, and am reading rage and the second dark tower book. I would highly recommend the stand, especially considering that we are in a pandemic and summer is about to start. winter flu season for all you northerners I guess. fuure books I will read are the next daark tower books and from a buick 8. I will also be reading 1984 and animal farm by george orwell. I suppose I will update on which of those books to read in about a month or so.

Time to revive this thread :smiling_imp:

A few days ago I finished reading Project Hail Mary by Andy Wier, and I’d really recommend it.

I really liked his first book, The Martian. It was a super fun read, and one of the most re-readable books I’ve read. It’s definitely “junk food” reading, but I love that.

I enjoyed his second book, Artemis, but it wasn’t quite as good to me for various reasons (the writing of the female protagonist, the more abstract setting, etc.). It just felt a bit dull in comparison.

Project Hail Mary feels like a true successor to The Martian in terms of style.

The humor is excellent, but doesn’t occur as often as in The Martian. I’d say that’s a good thing. Project Hail Mary has a more somber tone to parts of it, and the protagonist feels more mature than Mark Watney did (although both are a bit similar). I guess it feels more appropriate, given the last ~year.

It does something really neat in that it takes the modern world, and our complete understanding of physics, and adds an “impossible” story element to it. However, the aforementioned element is given somewhat strict rules, and the rest of the story remains highly scientifically accurate. It also considers some really interesting concepts (would spoil the story if I singled any out).

Definitely recommended.

2 Likes

After reading your description I’m 100% picking this up. The Martian is up in my all time favorites for sci fy esche books and if it even gets close I’m sold

1 Like

You’ll absolutely love it then! I generally considered The Martian to be my favorite sci-fi novel (I really only like hard sci-fi), and Project Hail Mary took its spot at the top.

1 Like

The candle man by Alex Scarrow.

Year is 1912 Locked in an eerily quiet dining room on the Titanic, a mysterious man tells a young girl his life story as the ship begins to sink. It all starts in Whitechapel, London in 1888…

2 Likes

I just finished an audio recording of Neil Stephenson’s Snowcrash.

It was interesting. I don’t know that it’s aged particularly well in some areas, but I think that for a cyberpunk nerd, as I’m sure many of us here are, it is kind of a must-read.

That and the Gibson Sprawl trilogy (and Burning Chrome). Those are MUST READS for any implantee;)

That sounds really interesting!

I don’t know what it is about Gibson but every time I’ve tried to read Neuromancer I end up not finishing it.

I felt the same way at first. I think his barrier to entry is quite high, with the way he writes leaving the reader feeling pretty confused at times. I feel like Gibson writes like you should know things about the world already, even if it’s the first entry in a series. In a way though, I think it’s kind of neat. It’s almost like reading a piece of non-fiction from this universe, indented for people that are already familiar with the day-to-day life of Zaibatsus and black market Chiba-sourced wetware.

I’d say try to get a good portion through and it’ll likely end up gripping you hard. I know that’s how it was for me at least!

1 Like

“It was the day my grandmother exploded.”

Iain Banks - The Crow Road. That and Espedair Street are my favourite of his non sci-fi novels.