Come on down to crazy Amal's flex-o-ramma-ramma!

now switch it for a secure tag something like the DF! i really want one now lol but thats alot of real estate on my hand :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I was going to overlap them so it was super dense. 2 rows of LEDs with the glow resin to diffuse. Implant it across the back of my wrist…

2 Likes

Is the sticker basically boosting the field for the led? Mine won’t light through my hand…

I can also overlap them a bit, but yes overall performance is about half of that with the NFC tag surrounding it… I’ll explain why in a minute…

2 Likes

See now I’m drooling… Could you use a flexible binder for the glow powder to maintain the flexibility and still have glow powder on it :thinking:.

Well, sorta… basically it’s reshaping the magnetic field a bit and making it go where we want it. The larger size of the NTAG216 antenna is causing the field to reshape around it, forcing flux lines through the center at a much greater density (if you can think of it that way) than without the larger antenna being there.

If you had an NFC nail (flat plane spiral antenna) inside your hand, and you placed a larger antenna around it from an Bullseye tag (cut out the metal foil NFC logo from the center first), then you would see the same effect.

2 Likes

yes i have a bioresin… but what i’m finding is that the real effective range the light can penetrate into the binder with glow powder is only a couple mm at best, so basically putting anything more than a drop of resin with glow powder overtop the LED is a waste… unless you wanted to try charging it in the sun or with a very bright light through the skin for a few minutes… see what that does… maybe then you’d get 30 seconds of decent light out of it… dunno.

1 Like

Much better explained but exactly what I was picturing in my head.

That’s a shame. Maybe not blocking the led would work. Like coat the outside but don’t block the led. I assume there’s enough diffusion in the flesh that the light would charge it and be visible?

Either way, I want that bar of LEDs :sweat_smile: maybe even more? 5x2 prehapse :thinking: I love the BLINKY :heart:

2 Likes

how many segments do you want? i assume glow resin as well… I have 10 of these light blue LEDs… I can quote you out a custom job… but I’ve run out of time for playing around today.

The total width would be 14mm and length would depend on the segment count… each are 9mm… but overlapped they are 15mm for 2 segments… but with double overlapping I can get 3 into 18mm… 4 into 25mm… plus add 2mm for safety margin… just to give you an idea of the possible size we’re talking about.

2 Likes

How wide do you think would be safe across the width of the wrist?
I reckon 5 would fit (32mm + margin) and be great. Do you think adding a normal flexNT to it would cause issues? Seems like the right size and would make the implant at least a tiny bit practical.

Resin would be great if it’s not going to make the whole thing super dim. I’d rather spectacular effects when lit up than mediocre all around. So yeah maybe “a drop of resin”

Either way, I’m very interested, I’ll DM you tonight and you can get to it when you have time (not exactly in a rush ATM with the lack of access to piercers)

1 Like

:rofl:

That ended up a lot stiffer than I expected. You were right, no backing needed.

Yep, that’s a much better idea. Maybe have the FlexEM overlap a “dead” part of the antenna, or the HF tag’s chip itself (which I assume is the large area above the “+”) so that it’s stiffer and less prone to failing if the HF tag flexes under the skin?

I definitely would implant something that lets the skin reattach in the middle.

Damn. My clever attempt at fooling people is foiled :slight_smile:

1 Like
Off topic, so I am hiding my reply to @Rosco

I thought you did a good job of matching the art style of his head to the body, I initially thought It was an avatar you rendered in a videogame that I wasn’t familiar with, especially after seeing @Aemun follow up post

Well thanks. But actually it’s all kinds of wrong: the light comes from the wrong direction, the color is wrong, the shades are wrong, the grain is wrong, the neck mucles don’t blend in. But hey, it’s a 5 minute job.

And yeah, off-topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah I think 5 makes the most sense if you want it across your wrist. What is the thickness of your wrist at that point out of curiosity?

No not at all… the resin settles out so the area above the LED can be made super thin… but it does add a lot of rigidity which I don’t like. I can look into using low durometer silicone to ensure it remains flexible, but I don’t have any at the lab so I’d have to order it in… would extend the ETA a bit.

1 Like

As you’ve identified, that little black dot is the chip. It’s flip chipped to the substrate and fragile. I wouldn’t want to put something directly over it, but exactly next to it, that might make good sense.

Hard to say… since it is rounded. About 38mm of space without curve. On the hand side of the tape measure.

As I said, not in a rush with COVID, flexibility sounds better.

This thread has me like

5 Likes

Weird theoretical question - could the same coil be used for LF and HF to optimise space?

As in, a coil wound for 125kHz with a ‘centre tap’ (since it’s basically a transformer winding) at the point for 13.56MHz?

Manufacturing could be difficult, but would allow a very small dual-frequency flex if you could pull it off

Yes. Just like a dual tapped inductor, it’s possible. Difficult, but possible. In fact, the Toorcamp version of the RFID diagnostic card does this…

It’s already hard enough to get a single wound screens sized and tuned properly… I can’t imagine doing this.

2 Likes