Could a stun gun be implanted?

Have biohack.me approved your application yet.

If so, have they given you any feedback / suggestions yet?

WARNING: Contains graphic images!
Oh boy, I missed out on this gemstone :pleading_face:
@Perpetuapolyphemus, let me join to the conversation please! :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

INTRO

For the sake of some brain exercise please let me join the conversation! I will ignore ethical, philosophical or any moral background of the project. It seems to be well-discussed =)

Iā€™ll pretend like there was a cyborg movie, where some has stunning implant, literally, and we have to reverse-engineer the story:

:clapper:
Our hero, who I will call Arnie, :male_detective:has 2 gold studs implanted
at position 1 and 3 on both hands. :fist_left: :fist_right:
Arnie is a body guard, :business_suit_levitating: so he wants to knock out enemies. :boxing_glove:

(Łˆ ā€¢Ģ€ į“—ā€¢Ģ )Łˆ

He knows from experience :face_with_monocle:that 10 000uF is plenty of capacity to be scared of :scream:,
so he has 2 solid state capacitors encapsulated and implanted in his forearms,
because the skin is rather loose there.

Arnie experimented before :microscope: :lab_coat: with different stuff,
101707137 (1)
however his piercer recommended him a 450V upgrade. Now he is not only stunning, but also shocking =)

The capacitorā€™s pins are connected to the surface studs via mesh conductors, those are encapsulated in polymer.

The shocker is charged by an external device, by placing the studs against a high voltage output. :fist_left: :zap: :full_moon_with_face:
Arnie is very careful when charging his implant, :electric_plug: he remembers little Billy :crazy_face:
having his capacitors exploded :boom: :mushroom: :cloud: when those implanst got over charged.

It wasnā€™t fun mopping up that mess little :crazy_face:Billys arm left that dayā€¦
unnamed (1)

Later Arnie :male_detective:realises that this amount of stuff restricts him in using his hand,
KQNUh
admits it was silly :crazy_face: :bulb: idea getting those implants ĀÆ\ (惄)/ĀÆ ļøµ ā”»ā”ā”»
and opting for the exo-skeleton :mechanical_arm:, that was suggested by @Pilgrimsmaster
He drops it off at the hack space around the corner to be equipped with thermal grill (do your research!) conductors for further fun.

:heart_decoration:The End :heart_decoration:
PS.: He became religious, like Jules in Pulp Fiction, made friends with and eel, who lives in his pocket since then, shocking people around the globe. They lived happily ever afterā€¦ :heart_eyes:

To summerise: possible in theory, but not recommended.

1 Like

Jesus fuck man that image is brutal. I very much do not like Mr Spaghetti arm there.
Anyways, after reading through this I tend to agree with @Eyeux @Coma and @Eriequiet on the moral side of fighting and I think most of us here have similar views on weaponized implants, probably not super great, but pretty much inevitable. I did really want to chime in on the technical side because I think this is very doable and not that hard.

The basic idea is to pretty much reform the hand to make this happen. Pretty invasive, yes but doable on a grinders budget. Firstly, you need to deal with power. Batteries are bad, same with caps. Iā€™m pretty dead set against any internal batteries or caps save super super small ones with advanced polymers, I forget the name but itā€™s made for medical use, Iā€™ll edit later. The only workaround out there is entirely encasing the implant in something capable of withstanding the potential explosion. That leaves titanium. So youā€™d need to design a case that encases the implant, save ~ 4 wires. Laser sintered would work. You could then fairly safely use capacitors.
Secondly youā€™d need solid connection mounting points for the spikes. Thankfully thereā€™s tons of resources on regrowing ( or growing!) bones. So youā€™d be using these osteoblast scaffolds to incorporate the third part.
Over at biohack.me there was some awesome work at transdermal ports. Chironex and Zwytech actually succeeded in replacing a circle of a mouseā€™s skin with I believe polycarbonate? With a thicker ring of a similarly insinuating material integrated into the skin with the spike in the center you could have the spike in the bone and not have a gaping wolverine wound. I think thats all I came up with, sorry for the ramble!

Itā€™s almost like this whole thread would have been better suited over on their forum :wink:

2 Likes

Partially agree, but Iā€™ll invite @Eyeux and co- to a conversation about morality:
Should a transhumanist church postulate about the peaceful application of body mods?
I draw parallel between this topic and the Article IV of the Outer Space Treaty / Militarising Space

I would also like to know what is up with Mr Spaghetti Arm. Thats pretty gory.

Iā€™d like to take the opportunity to kick the dead horse, the ā€œspikesā€ would need to be extended significantly out of the hand, Wolverine style, or else it will just happily arc to your hand and complete the circuit shocking you in the process

Ok, letā€™s talk technicals! :yum:

That is not a workaround at all.
Okā€¦ you encase a battery pack in titanium, so when it explodes, the titanium wonā€™t allow any fragments to shatter inside of you. Great!

Butā€¦

What happens to all that kinectic energy released by the explosion? :thinking:

It will accumulate and be applied internally, with a decentralised origin pointā€¦ thus effectively turning the whole implant into a projectile, originating inside of your body.

Soā€¦ instead of a spaghetti hand, you end up with an ā€œ1-use-only missile-handā€! yay! :expressionless:

All that considering that the necessary thickness of the titanium encasing wouldnā€™t make the implant too big to be doable, and also assuming it would work at containing the explosion.

Here the issue isā€¦ it might work in the middle of the forehead, where the ā€œskin-to-boneā€ location correlation remains constantā€¦
But once you try to do that in a region where the skin skewers or rotates too much in relation to the bone anchoring point beneath it, then you will either seriously limit your movements or end up with a shear on your skin.

As an experiment, keep your hand flat and make a dot with a pen over your knuckle. Now imagine it goes all the way to your bone, in an obviously straight line. Now clench your fist.
You can see the dot moved forward, but the bone where it should have been connected is still in the same place it were before.

The way bone articulation is ā€œbuiltā€ makes it very hard (not to say impossible) to afixate anything transdermal there.

The problem here is that despite the fact that we have all the tech necessary for each individual component in this alleged implant, we are still lacking the tech necessary to make it safe (batteries), small enough (encasing and battery again), and most importantly, to make all those pieces come together in a seamless integration with the way human bodies are connected.

For this we would need a material which is strong, lightweight, non-conductive, a-magnetic, flexible, and both porous and smooth. Also would need to be biocompatible.
And that material just does not exist. :pensive:

It would be much easier to accomplish this by chopping oneā€™s hands off and replacing with a prostethic one.
If only prostethic hands were actually good enoughā€¦ :grimacing:

On the other handā€¦ what one could actually do is to grow horns (use teflon subdermal implants, then replace them with reef coral ones to make your skull incorporate itā€¦ etcā€¦). And those horns could be made long enough to become an actual stun gun, with an implant on top of your head.

Would be dead-on obvious, and most likely to get you shot on sight by the first gun-wielding satan-fearing nutjob that you cross paths with, thoughā€¦ :sweat_smile:

Shame no one said that, right? :rofl:

2 Likes

Sounds like a neat topic for a new thread!

Although maybe my views on ā€œmoralityā€ would surprise you! :yum:

Just like in this thread, my arguments are seldom based in morals.
Every ā€œmoralā€ conclusion I got in this thread was purely a rational conclusion of the best path for the individual, without any moral consideration.

Whatā€™s funny is that if you are able to foresee the outcome for enough ā€œsteps aheadā€ of the current situation, then the most egocentric self-beneficial course of action will also be, almost always, the most ethical one.

Supersimpliffed example:
The best rationale for not carrying a weapon is not because ā€œit could hurt peopleā€. But because carrying it increases the odds of hurting yourself way more than would help you.

Sure you can, itā€™s called "Pacemaker"

pacemaker

Thank you for your replies, especially to those who gave helpful advice.

I have been extremely busy with homework, so have not had time to work on any of my personal ideas or projects.

When I have finished school I may have more time to tool around and will read what youā€™ve written then.

Are you doing a late degree or are you just a professional student? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Out of interest, did you get your invite to Biohack.me ?
Did you get any responses over there also?