Custom 5mm flex installation needle now available

Just the thought of it makes me feel off. I feel it would work.

This is a good point. I have been thinking of this all day. A needle cuts you as it goes in. A metal spike would tear you open. If anyone is about to say, “Flatten the metal spike” I introduce you to the Scalpel. I would say you would need to cut your insertion site if you are using a solid spike to dilatate the tissue. If you don’t cut it, it will tear.

I think the need for these things would be so rare, it would cost a ton to get these made.

There’s a company with a patented bevel that does have an asymmetrical ‘scalpel’ edge instead of a traditional point which is interesting. Apparently reduces the angle of deflection - whether or not it works, I have no idea.

EDIT: found it;

I was typing up a lengthy reply earlier today to @anon3825968’s comment about ‘why not use a centre-point needle’ but then I remembered there are some needles that are like this, though their application is extremely different: steerable needles. Some have beveled edges, but there are also some with a single centre-point tip. Granted, their use is different to implanting a flex or for surface piercings and are usually rotated as they’re inserted… but they do exist.

Still, I think the way beveled needles work to separate tissue would still work the best!

Sorry if contributing to off-the-rails … @amal your new needles are beautiful and I can’t wait to use one so I can mount it on the wall like a trophy along with an install photo.

3 Likes

Coming back to say I saw someone call this the BFN Big Fucking Needle on the youtube video, and now that is all I’m gonna be able to think of when hearing about this needle.

2 Likes

My body mod artist happened to have one of these needles handy and we used it to install a purewrist conversion flex on the back of my hand today. Went really well, and best of all I didn’t need stitches.

8 Likes

You are sooo right! I have implanted two flex DT products with the custom needle by DT…and no lube.
To say that it took minimal to medium pressure would just be lying…it took quite a bit of pressure.
Just last night I had another flex DT product implanted…using the custom needle by DT…this time with sterile needle jelly. And WOW can I tell you what a HUGE difference there is!
Without the needle jelly the force required to move that sucker along is up there!
With the needle jelly, the point at which the last of the bevel of the implant passes the skin layer is the point which required the most pressure…from there on it was like a hot knife through butter!

And yes it (custom DT needle) does create the perfect cavity for the DT flex wedge implants. The implants slide in with little to zero effort.

3 Likes

I ordered the needle, but did not see the lube. Was that a separate purchase?

I ordered the sterile needle lube/jelly on Amazon.

1 Like

After some feedback, Amal as usual, listened (how good is DT as a company???)
Low and behold

• Unsterilized 5mm needle in protective tube
  • Made of rolled 316L surgical steel
  • 3g sachet of sterile needle lubricant included!
  • Laser etched depth mark for easy flex installs
5 Likes

Honestly, this is so true - I never found a company that was that close to its customers, though many claim to be :wink:

6 Likes

That’s because he’s got us dialed in right where he wants us :wink:

4 Likes

Indeed. it is by far the closest company to it’s niche I’ve ever seen, by far!
And that relationship goes both ways!

1 Like

I never even checked. I got home and the Whiskey was too much of a distraction to be honest.

It really isn’t a big deal. I am pretty sure it is just a general sterile water based lube.

Can vouch for that! :wink:
This one just arrived! (less than 48 hours after shipping, across an ocean. quite impressive)

Needle, lube sachet, etched mark, and a neat label on the other side with a good “this is not sterile” sign on it :white_check_mark:

8 Likes

What was the consensus on pain with the 5g needle?

Trying to figure out if I need to get the PMK and then how to have a discreet conversation about it with my installer… if needed

I don’t think there ever could be a consensus.
Pain tolerance is an individual thing, plus location will affect this also.

Personally, I didnt use it, want it or need it.
I felt it, but I wouldn’t even consider saying it “hurt”

Your experience may differ.
You know yourself better than anybody.
If you think you MAY need it, then get it.
If not, then don’t.

1 Like

Remember there is also the numbing gel - that could be an easier in-between, and often piercers are happy to advise on the best way to use it (plus follow what Amal / others have previously said).

Where did you get yours installed / was is with numbing gel? I presume the needle was lubricated?

It wasn’t an issue for me in position L3. I guess it depends on where you’re going to get it installed.

Professional install
No numbing gel
No lube (I think my install video may have helped Amal decide to include lube)

The pain on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being max pain ever experienced, I would say it is a 2 or 3 pain level. That is without using numbing gel or a PMK.

I remember doing a few installs with the 5g needle prior to the needle lube and man, I had to push pretty darn hard to get the needle up to the laser engraved line. Now with the needle lube, as soon as you get past the bevel of the 5g needle it slides in like a hot knife through butter. Works MUCH better!..requires minimal effort to push the 5g needle up to the laser engraved line, once you pass the bevel of the needle that is.

Here’s a past install video using the 5g needle…and no lube…done on 5/23/2020. The entire surface and all tools and equipment were properly sterilized prior to this video. Obviously this was not done in a “medical” environment. Have fun viewing my video, see the link below. It’s a rather large file…approx 600MB but well worth the provided entertainment of me convincing the lady friend that things are going very well and not to pass out…regardless of the massive needle sticking out of my left arm.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RzwXTrsO5li7bgqfb8GaKJpjHV4KTdo8/view?usp=sharing

3 Likes

Clean installation, good job on that. Although, I’m not sure how you’re lady friend felt throughout all of the procedure. :stuck_out_tongue: What would you say the pain compares to?