Hi everyone! I’m a new, but very enthusiastic member of the community, and I’d like to ask some questions to the more experienced people here. I’ve been interested in biohacking, especially in implants and prosthetics, for many years and I finally have the means to properly get into it.
I’m looking to get started with the Ultimate Implant Bundle and the LF xLED, but before I pull the trigger I need to clear some things up.
First of all, I want to put both the NExT v2 and the LF xLED side by side (with appropriate spacing) in the P0 position of my left hand, so that I can check what frequencies the reader supports with one hand (green LED from the NExT for HF, and red LED from the LF xLED). Is that a good idea, or will the implants interfere with each other? And is getting all the implants (xMagic and Spark 2 in the right hand, the rest in the left) in in one session too much?
The second thing is the installation. As a Eurobro I feel a bit more limited in my choices. I live in Poland not that far from the German border (Poznan area), and the closest 2 locations on the installer map are in Warsaw and Berlin, but the last update for them was over 500 days ago and I’m not sure how to approach contacting them and arranging for an install, since it’s not an insignificant trip for me to go in person either way. If anyone has had any experience with these studios (especially if by some chance someone from Poland comes across this post), or studios around this area that are not listed on the map, I’d love to hear how it went for you.
Lastly, for the “ill-advised” self-installers, how did you get started? I looked around if there are some body modification courses, but from what I saw you basically have to get someone to take you on as an apprentice to get the skills, but that’s not really in the cards for me at this point. Did you have any experience beforehand, attend some courses, or did you just YOLO it and got to stabbing your hand right away? I’d like to be able to work on myself (or maybe others) in the future, at least in case of emergency, but I don’t know how to get into it properly.
I believe I have heard of similar things being done. This shouldn’t cause a major issue, as long as (as you said) some space is left between them.
To verify, I would not put the spark2 and xMagic both in P0, but same hand should be fine generally. P0 and P1 no problem.
For healing / bathing / dishes purposes, be careful with doing both hands, and know your pain limits, but there should not be a huge issue with 4 installs at once in theory.
Thanks for the heads up. The idea is to put xMagic in P0 and Spark 2 in P1 as you said + the xG3 in P4 on the outside of my hand to hold loose screws when fiddling with electronics or other projects.
Regarding the pain, I don’t mind the actual procedure that much, especially since we have EMLA patches over the counter here, but how is the pain after the install while healing? And how long does it usually last? I heard it takes a few weeks to fully heal, but I imagine the pain goes away a bit quicker, right?
I’m also thinking about what precautions I should take with my motorcycle gloves. When it’s not too cold I ride gloveless, but winter is in fact coming…
My experience getting injectables it doesn’t hurt afterwards so much as feel weird; like wearing a watch on the wrong wrist. This goes away after a few weeks.
P4 should be fine (my xMagic is R4, my xG3 was L1), but be aware that P5 (very close) has two downsides:
1- Resting your hand on a desk sometimes naturally rests P5 on the desk. This can be uncomfortable if you have more “lean” hands.
2- That location is more prone to bumps, and by extension, higher risk of damage to the implant, again, especially with leaner hands. P4 has given me no real problems after healing though.
First hour has always been pretty rough for me, but not unbearable. Next 48 hours usually only when doing certain movements. 1 week might have contact pain, but just avoid direct pressure. I’ve personally had phantom-like pains and small sharp spikes for up to a few months. This is related to the healing process and isn’t anything to care much about imo.
^^ and this is an example of “Everybody experiences things a bit differently, sometimes install-to-install”.
Personally I’d avoid gloves that have the potential to hold bacteria for 24 hours, but past that there should be minimal issue. If they are tight gloves, they may be uncomfy for a bit. Gloves have never caused me any real issues.
Most of this boils down to “Be conscious that they are there, let them heal, and enjoy them.”
Also, for the magnet, don’t mess with it at all for the first week or so. Viewing film is not a problem, but I would suggest not even sticking a screw to it for at LEAST a week or two. Avoid purposeful sensing for a while too. Sensing means magnet movement, means moving healing tissue.
The only thing I’ll add is, Do you have specific use cases fro the implants you are getting?
You mentioned HOW you are foing to use them, and all valid.
Not really the WHY.
Your reasoning all sounds great, and the only reason I ask is, have you looked at all the options?
I have most of what you are taking about, and I love them all and use them all, but what I use more frequently is my Apex / FlexSecure (and a FlexM1)
xSeries are great, but I tend to use a Flex where avaliable.
Im not trying to convince you to change you plan, like I said, it sounds great, and you can jump into that end of the pool and you’ll have fun, or you can dive into the deep end, and grab yourself a Flex in the mix.
It wont be a sink or swim, we’ll throw you a life ring…okay, enough of the pool analogy, anyway.
Did you consider a Flex?
It’s a long Trek to Cologne, but whenever somebody mentions Germany, I think of Arnulf at Stigmata (Thanks @Coma)
although, he would be a guaranteed great option, I’m sure you can find somebody closer to home
Let me grab you a link that will help answer that your self install questions
I just took a snippet, but should give you some more info
“HOW DO I GET IT IMPLANTED”
AT THE BOTTOM IS THE LINK TO APPROACH INSTALLERS.
DO THIS BEFORE ATTEMPTING A SELF INSTALL
Here is a VERY informative FAQ about x-Series implants, some of which is covered below. But it is recommend you read these FAQs.
There are piercing partners but if there is none near you any body piercer should be able to implant this for you.
A doctor, nurse or medic would be able to but they will likely take more convincing…
A self or assisted install is possible,
The following links that will make this very clear that it is easy to do
As long as you have used good aseptic techniques during the installation process, the healing should take care of its self with minimal maintenance. x-Series a simple hydrocolloid plaster for the first 48hrs or so, then leave it open to heal naturally; adhering to standard hygiene practices
Flex Should be very similar to the x-Series, if using the Dangerous Things 4G piercing needle and steristrips however, the plaster should be left on longer, and further considerations if stitches/ sutures were used.
Post installation, the body will begin to encapsulate the tag with fibrous collagen tissue. To help this process along, you can take pre-natal vitamins, which has collagen and keratin boosting properties helping build collagen and connective tissues.
Also a little common sense wouldn’t go astray…
no weight lifting /rock climbing /shooting /superhero-ing
Thanks for the warm welcome and the recommendation, I’ll keep it in mind.
I thought about flex implants and I’m considering a flexDF and a flexUG4 in my future, and an Apex Ring conversion would be great if I save up enough money, but I’m working on a budget and I wanted to start with the most approachable and bang-for-my-buck set that I can get, so I think the bundle + LF xLED would suit my needs well.
As to why, then a few reasons.
I work in building automation and work with access control a fair bit, so having some additional tools on hand would be nice. I also go on work trips abroad to training sessions, seminars, and expos, so having a convenient and intriguing way to exchange contact info would be fun and useful.
I want to reduce the keys in my life to a minimum. I already get into my appartement with a fingerprint scanner, my builiding has an entry system with 125kHz RFID scanners and I have the tags for it. My company’s office opens with NFC tags, so I can just ask our guys to add me in. I also have a pretty neat design idea in mind for an NFC scanner ignition for my bike, and having the key to my bike being my literal hand would be great.
I’ve been a fan of biohacking, prosthetics, and augmentation for a long time, and I find the general cyberpunk aesthetic really appealing. I already rock smart glasses with a HUD daily, I’m a big fan of wearable tech, I’m a homelabber, so I think diving into implantables would be right up my alley.
Most importantly, I just think they’re neat
Still, my main obstacle at this point is actually being able to install them, since I don’t exactly have any good contacts, nor do I really want to YOLO a self intall as my first implant experience tbh.
I will note that a flexDF + flexEM would be only $249 compared to the ultimate bundle, and could do everything mentioned above with better range. An xG3 is $130 iirc , so you’d still be spending less.
(No pressure, just showing price comparison for better performance)
You do loose on the spark2 and magic mifare though.
EDIT: Once again, at this moment I have only had 3 xSeries and no flex. I cannot judge, and my NExT, xMagic, and xG3v2 all made me smile.
If you have a specific need, that’s great, if you just want more storage than most, then there are other /“better” options.
You’ll not regret this one.
On top of payment you get all the other APEX functions
Approachable, I understand the ease of xSeries install, in reality its very very similar to 4g Needle insatlls for Flexies
“Bang for buck”, well you get MORE implants for your money, with flex you get better performance and more capability for the Apex ?flexSecure and FlexUG4.
Airplane mode time…
You plan is great
I just want you to make an informed decision not one from gut and excitement.
Fair, but I do care about having a chip with a changeable UID quite a bit + having 2 programmable LF RFID chips would be great for my needs.
I also have a few ideas for the spark, and all the bonus goodies that come with the bundle would be much appreciated as well.
I may have created this account recently, but I’ve been lurking around the block for quite a bit now. I already made my list, checked it twice, each implant with its own purpose; I’m just going step by step. I don’t claim to have it all figured out, but I’d like to think that I have a decent idea of what I’m looking for.
Sincerely, I do appreciate all the pointers and second opinions, all in the name of finding the best outcome.
Just as a matter of Ps & Qs and Ts & Is.. Dangerous Things does not recommend or support self-installation of any of our products by anyone. We only recommend going to a partner or otherwise trained and licensed body piercer, body modification artist, or medical professional.
All very fair, I’m aware of the advantages of flex, that’s why all the implants I’m getting in this batch will be all the injectables I’m getting (except for a second xG3 in the future).
In my case, more is better in the beginning, since I want a) a set of unchangeable UIDs for my personal access control needs (the NExTv2 is a great fit), and b) a changeable UID HF+LF set for working in the field, and the xMagic is a very convenient package for that.
And lastly I couldn’t find a better way to do the HF/LF LED field detector combo other than with x-Series (NExTv2 for HF detection and a dedicated LF xLED for LF detection).
I think that about covers my reasoning for this approach, but if you have anything I might have missed, I’ll be happy to hear it.
Be careful for the first couple days post X-series install. One thing my installer warned me about was before the wound closes, pressure can pop it out. He was mentioning putting hands into a pants pocket, but motorcycle gloves can be tight and might do the same.