Flipper Zero - Kickstarter RFID/RF/BLE/USB/IR

The latest update

2 points of concern for me

First being, the rfid side is obviously important to us so to see problems with the antennas is concerning since it’s the heart of what we want

Also it only says it can READ nfc, no writing… which is weird and slightly useless

I’ve made a video with reading and writing the T5577 half of my NExT :slight_smile:

6 Likes

It’s looking awesome @koteeq

1 Like

does it actually check the chip when it says “success!” … so it’s doing verification?

also… any thoughts on adding ID stacking for the T5577 to the flipper firmware?

Yep.
It works in a loop:

1. Write
  2. Read
  3. ID equals? Success. Not equals? Go to 1.

We have plans on improving this process to get better coupling with weak tags by adding a read step and a timer before writing. This will help to find the sweet spot.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update @koteeq
as you can tell there are a few of us that are excited to get ours, but the personalized updates on here are really appreciated ( aka Don’t be a stranger, Everytime you use your Flipper with an implant we would love to hear about it)

also please pass onto your team, The Flipper Kickstarter has be amazing with their very thorough and honest updates.
I don’t just say this as a throw away comment, but it has by far and away been THE best Kickstarter / indegogo project I have ever backed.

4 Likes

Thank you so much for your kind words! This is especially very important for us in these tough days.

2 Likes

I’ve never been that relaxed about not getting a product in time :wink:
Through all those constant and transparent updates, I just know what’s happening, and I know I will finally get my Flipper, so I can easily stay patient.
But yes, that missing “writing to blank cards” in the NFC section has surprised me a bit as well… @koteeq , is it possible for you to shed some light on that?

2 Likes

I’ve updated the blog post.

We will implement writing to normal blank Mifare 1k tags and to those with Chinese backdoor.

I’m pretty sure it will support gen2 backdoor (which is basically a rewritable 0 sector) and I’m not sure about gen1 backdoor (which has custom command to rewrite the UID).

After all, it’s just software. It is open-source and officially supported by us for 2 years minimum. Someday all types of cards will be supported.

4 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up!
So the device itself is technically capable of writing to our implants, that’s some good news :slight_smile:

I got this newsletter email from Flipper today:

4 Likes

I thought that was a pretty good primer write up.

Quite a good update, it looks like alot has been done / fixed / added

7 Likes

Just read it, really, really awesome update. The UART support is fantastic, I need a USB to UART bridge pretty often, and this means one less thing to carry with me. I hope it’s a feature down the line (or maybe something I can add) to give a simple read out on the screen. For just printing out log messages, it’d be neat to have in a portable form factor.

I could not be more excited for it, but admittedly a little disappointed that it’s running a little behind schedule. I’d rather get it later though if it means it’ll be more ironed out, and it seems that they’re definitely working around the clock to get this thing near perfect. They can’t help the chip shortage either, every project like this is suffering.

“We have 60000 screens, enough for all the devices backed on Kickstarter and for some part of the pre-orders made on our website.”

Hoping I’m one of those pre-orders :wink:

4 Likes

ive been keeping an eye on this for a bit … they are over 6 month behind wih $4.88M funding …
Im gonna wait a few rev. before getting one … hopefully they can iron out some of the issues that will arise …

While technically accurate, the chip shortage has slowed down even massive companies let alone startups. I’m impressed that having to pay 6 months more wages and pay for multiple redesigns hasn’t killed them.

They’ve been clear on their communication, shown evidence they will redesign to make it happen instead of waiting years for the parts, and enough photos to convince me the money has actually been spent on these units.

Maybe I’m too trusting, and it’s disappointing to be delayed, but I don’t see how this could have been done any better.

6 Likes

I agree

1 Like

You make a good point … I’m always weary about Kickstarter, the only 2 or 3 I was about to fund went belly up (3D printers) … Thankfully I didn’t lost anything (didn’t fund them) but I know a few people who lost quite a bit …

I’m looking forward to read some first hand, real world writeup.