LED/glowing microchip?

Sweet :smiley:

1 Like

Any plans to for a wider run of these in the future?

2 Likes

How well do they show up under the skin? Is there any images of one thatā€™s been implanted?

1 Like

@amal are these essentially the same as the firefly? If not, how are they different. Iā€™m quite disappointed in my firefly which is currently in my left hand between the third and fourth metacarpal. It does glow somewhat brightly but only in the near absence of ambient light or only if my eyes are fully dark adjusted.

If these are more luminous Iā€™m all in.

1 Like

not well. this is why we didnā€™t bother for so longā€¦ but the people demanded it, and we canā€™t leave the people wanting now can we?

there are photos of the competitionā€™s ā€œfireflyā€ implant that should be comparable out there on the internet, including further up in this thread (@Satur9).

the firefly is made with double walled, flame sealed, super long borosilicate glass with a melted knob on the endā€¦ the xGLO is the same Schott bioglass we use for our other x-series implants, itā€™s shorter, and itā€™s laser sealed for maximum elegance and safety :slight_smile:

Unfortunately physics is physics and Iā€™m pretty sure they pack as much tritium gas into those ampoules as is practical. Weā€™ve even got ourselves a light meter to test tritium ampoules from different suppliers, and even the ones that claim ā€œmax brightnessā€ or ā€œsuper maxā€ put out the same intensity of light that any other one does for the color spectrum being emitted. Green is the most intense output, but it also has a very low tissue penetration (or high tissue absorption rate, depending on how you want to look at it). We could try other colors, but I feel like itā€™s really not going to result in anything any more impressive.

1 Like

How about Strontium Aluminate-filled vials? Yeah they have to be ā€œchargedā€ with an external light source but they glow much brighter initially and tend to last longer than the half life of Tritium as well as lend themselves to present better color selection. Is this a possibility?

1 Like

I feel like its probably pretty hard to ā€œchargeā€ them when theyā€™re under the skin. Iā€™m not positive, but it might end up either needing to be in direct sunlight for a long time, or need to literally have a flashlight held up to your skin for it to work.

1 Like

Yepā€¦ my bet is a modern smartphone LED flash / flashlight is bright enoughā€¦ hold for a minute and get quite a glow for at least 10 mins is imagineā€¦ probably all that most people care aboutā€¦

My question is, can they be charged with IR lightā€¦ basically converting the IR band to visible light. What if you were in a space flooded by IR flood lightsā€¦ would you have indefinite glow power?

Amal

2 Likes

Or just put an xLED in it and you can charge it directly. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The brightest phosphorescent powders Iā€™ve ever seen are Strontium Silicate + Aluminate Oxide doped with Europium (I happen to have a bunch). Phosphorescent ā€œglowā€ powders like this absorb UV light (higher energy) and re-emit it as visible light (lower energy). I tried it with Infrared light and it doesnā€™t work. Unfortunately, UV does not transmit through the skin well. Nevermind the glass capsule it would be contained within. It might work for a tattoo, but probably not an implant.

A biohacker that uses the handle Helyx just got 2 prototypes of what you described implanted at Grindfest this year, so I might be totally wrong. Still waiting on feedback from him.

3 Likes

Honestly anything visible in less than perfect dark, however brief is all Iā€™m interested in. Even in a dark theater I can barely make out my tritium vile. Plus, if phosphorescent powders make for a much brighter light I could see red and blue as being a viable option.

1 Like

White - Aqua - Blue - Coarse Green - Green - Orange

4 Likes

Just got our xGLO in the mail today. (Well yesterday, it sat overnight in the mailbox. :confused:)

Iā€™m thinking we want to install it where the skin is thin and pale, so it has the best chance of shining through. So probably, inside of our wrist or inside forearm.

Weā€™ll try to get some pics when its done.

2 Likes

Fair warning, the xGLO is insanely hard to get good pictures of! For it to be particularly visible it has to be darker than most cameras are able to take pictures. Like this is the best picture Iā€™ve managed to mine that I implanted on Monday.

5 Likes

We got the xGLO in ok last night, pretty much exactly where we wanted. Worried though that it might be a bit too deep. Or maybe itā€™s just because thereā€™s still swelling etc, its only been 11 hours lol.

We were able to see it, faintly, in a completely dark room. But with even faint ambient light around, canā€™t see anything at all. :frowning:

2 Likes

Things should improve around the 4-6 week markā€¦ but yes it is very faintā€¦ this has been the issue with tritium vials Iā€™m general. The vial itself does not visibly glow in any normal amount of room lighting, and this is why we never really botheredā€¦ but there was interest here so we made a handful.

3 Likes

Hey thanks @amal!
So yeah its visible ok when weā€™re in like a really dark room or whatever, which is cool. :slight_smile: It looks kinda neat actually, when you notice it.
Still kinda think we got it a bit too deep but we can see it so thats cool. We were worried for a bit if it was too deep weā€™d have to try to pull it back out and redo it. :smile:

1 Like

Oh Iā€™d rock a tritium vial in my hand for sure. As long it were really, really thick glass.

2 Likes

You MIGHT still be in luck, Only 15 originally available!
UPDATE I just checked for you, xGLO still availableā€¦for now

Thread
Hidden limited product

Hidden Store link
xGLO

3 Likes

Managed to get some pics of our xGLO! :smiley:

Thereā€™s still some bruising and swelling around it, and it looks like thereā€™s something ā€˜ontopā€™ of it in the pics but like we canā€™t feel anything overtop of it? I dunno what that is but its not like a vein or tendon or anything?

Anyways, its hard getting pics of these things lol. Its easier to see with the eyes than what the camera can pick up. So we had to be a bit artsy with the lighting and stuff. :wink:

6 Likes