Safe alternative to xGLO?

So this is about an hour later…

but… the above picture was taken using “Night Sight” on Android, which skews reality a bit… so the following picture more closely resembles how it looks to the naked eye… so basically it’s super dark compared to the tritium.

CONCLUSION

• Project seems viable as a product

• 5 seconds of charging is a good balance between the annoyance of holding a phone or reader to the implant, and light output.

• The device will need a chip as well as an LED to ensure the LED remains solidly lit when being charged by smartphone.

• Effective light output greater than tritium lasts about 30 seconds, with comparable output up to 120 seconds.

5 Likes

I look forward to see what you come up with!

Glad it worked out. Do you think you will make a flex one like your test sample? That would be epic!

1 Like

Yeah this would be the idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well in that case I have a bright idea!

I think I will get a light bulb outline tattoo and put the implant under it :smiley:

5 Likes

I would be willing to buy this,

If you want to experiment with these also, I will buy them and have it shipped to you.

The Aqua color is appealing to me. It is also the second brightest.

The other colors could be used if you want to trial them also, like a light up rainbow.

3 Likes

I have those from Nuclear Scientific and already offered them to him. He didn’t want to bother with the other colors cause there’s very little chance they’ll be bright enough to make it through the skin, and I agree. I’ve done extensive testing.

3 Likes

Perfect, I must have missed it. I just wasn’t sure, so I figured I would look.

I came across an old thread about using that IN tattoos and it made me think it this.

1 Like

What if we take an implant and use its coil to heat up the powder. Like an electric cooker. Tell me if this has some kind of flaw.

1 Like

That’s an epic comeback! Nice :laughing:

2 Likes

I’d say purposely heating up an implant is itself a flaw… controlling temperature to ensure it doesn’t overheat or cause burns would probably be impossible or extremely impractical. Also, I’m pretty sure the amount of heat required would be much higher than that which damaged or destroys tissue, so really not a good idea overall.

2 Likes

working on viscosity issues with the resin. voids reduce light transmission and output.

2 Likes

Could you stick em in a pressure pot?

3 Likes

2 Likes

Vacuum pot? Like silicon casting

1 Like

For resin casting it is common to use a high pressure vessel instead of a vacuum process.

This is because by pressurising the environment while the resin is setting the voids get compressed to the point they are not visible.

1 Like

I wounder why, something to do with the viscosity of the moulding medium? I suppose with silicone its much easier to pull bubbles out where as with resins it would be easier to compress the resin and in turn squish (technical term).

I have seen vacuum pots used on resin but only in the raw state prior to the “pour”

1 Like

I would avoid this because by definition it would “seal in” compressed air inside an implant… not something I’d want to ever see fail.

I do have experience with pulling a slight vacuum on things like elastomers and resins to pull out bubbles… but none of this will be necessary… I simply needed to ultrasound bath my mixed resin before applying. Mixing in the LIT powder introduced bubbles into the resin and placing the mix tube into an ultrasound bath for 60 seconds degasses the resin sufficiently. I have solid samples now.

3 Likes

So now the long wait begins…

This project needs to go into a project bin while I switch gears. The leap that is necessary to go from bench test to product is always bigger than expected… so while this project is set aside I will search for NFC nails with proper chip + LED and I will also begin to narrow in on which LED colors work best to charge this particular glow powder.

11 Likes

I have a question not related to this implant directly, but would you be willing to sell, or know anyone willing to sell 2 of the blue “vials”? (Not gonna call them implants for this purpose. )

I am not interested in implanting them, I would like to make a set of chopsticks with them. I figure if I source them from here, they would be sealed better than if I have to try to salvage them from a keychain from eBay. I would also be open to having 2 longer ones made, depending on the price.

Just an FYI you can get the vials like without having to salvage them from a keychain. Just search for tritium vial on your search engine of choice.

Like here is some blue 25mm long ones on Amazon.

1 Like