Modified - a thread for everything bodmod-related

Nah, you’re not :wink:
I never really saw it, but it obviously moved a tiny bit during healing (just like the rotating flexies), so it’s not really perfectly straight. Without such a design, nobody would notice, but now it’s a bit more visible^^

Are you giving it the pancake :pancakes: treatment?
and yeah it looks awesome.

Yep, of course - everything gets better with love, lemons and sugar :smile:
But only in seven days. By now it’s just cleaning with soap and re-applying petroleum jelly and the wrap twice a day.

1 Like

Ummm…But…you…ahhh…
:needle_custom: :eggplant:

4 Likes

Yeah but it only takes 10 seconds to stab a :eggplant:
Cutting away skin precisely for an hour or two seems really rough!

Two hours in this case, yep. And it’s very different, compared to a piercing - though not neccessarily “worse”… you can accomodate to the pain, and you can definitely use the endorphine rush to make it more pleasant, while with a piercing there is usually a brief moment of very intense pain (don’t know about your :eggplant: , but with my :oyster: - hell, what emoji is usually used for the female genitals?^^ - it was quite intense), and it’s over. So I’m pretty sure if you survived an Ampallang, you’d survive a scarification as well :wink: Oh, and just a little detail - in this case, no skin was “cut away”. It’s not a skin removal scarification, and to be honest I’d be afraid of that as well^^
Speaking of it, how was your night? Another crime scene? :drop_of_blood: :smile:

4 Likes

Haha, yeah intense is an understatement.

Oops my bad! I will do some reading on the subject :sweat_smile:

No “leakage” this time :smiley: Even managed an (indoor) bike ride this morning but I had to place things such that making it an outdoor ride would have resulted in an arrest for indecent exposure.

1 Like

Oh…also, I think :cat: is the one you were looking for haha :open_mouth:

I think it’s hard for me to really understand how that feels (simply because I don’t have an :eggplant: ^^), but since the Ampallang pierces the most sensitive part of your body… I think I can roughly imagine that it wasn’t really a pleasure :smile:

No problem!^^
There are scarifications where you basically cut the outlines and afterwards, you remove the skin between them - either by branding (with a laser, usually) or by simply “pulling it off”. I think I would not like that feeling…
But if you work with thin lines mostly, like in the scarifications Arnulf did on me, you don’t really need to remove skin at all - the cuts are deep enough to scar visibly.

:rofl:
I can imagine^^

1 Like

I‘m not sure if this is the right topic but i think it should fit.
I want to share some interesting Links about the scientific progress of dermal and subdermal implants.

The first one is about Madhu Bhaskaran. She is an award winning scientist who has been working on electronic skin for some time.
She made a lot of progress in developing an artificial skin that is able to feel touches and pain. It is supposed to be „unbreakable“ and only a thousandth of a hair thick.

The second and more interesting link is about different topics like flexible wireless sensors for monitoring babies in neonatal intensive care units, printed circuits onto skin and throat implants to discover covid infections. Bhaskaran is also mentioned in this article.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00739-z

I hope you enjoy it. Here is a bait to make you read :blush::
(picture of a printed and flexible circuit onto skin)

3 Likes

I wonder if I can brand myself with a Glowforge.

1 Like

FTFY.

A video and discussion on the glowforge community site.

2 Likes

You possibly can, in a way…
I know of people who heated up a coat hook to brand themselves with it - okay, lead to a massive infection, but it “kinda” worked. Take some higher quality metal parts and do some strike branding, and you’ll have “better” chances that it works. Kinda :wink:
I know lots of people who pierced themselves, sometimes with really good results.
And I have some history myself of doing funny stuff with razorblades.

So yeah, some DIY is definitely “possible” - but most of the time, the results are not even comparable to things done by a pro.
Since I’ve got no branding, I can only talk about scarification in this case… but Arnulf worked with such a precision and such an eye for details… I would not have been able to do that on myself. Might just be me, but the pain is great if I’m in the hands of someone I trust, but far less so if I do this myself. I can relax, I don’t have to care about being concentrated or focused, I can just drift away a bit - that’s all not a good idea if you’re cutting yourself, at least not if you want to produce something beautiful.
Plus, a professional artist has anatomical knowledge and routine (!). He knows how deep the cut can or should be, depending on the area of skin he’s working on. The longest line of my scarification is running directly above a big, visible vein - when doing that myself, I would either not dare to cut deep enough, or I’d risk involuntary suicide :wink:

So yeah, I’m a bit of a pansy considering DIY in bodmods, and I would definitely not recommend it. Piercings and tattoos might be kinda okay, as long as you’re happy with the results, but for the more intense stuff - visit a pro. And hey, they deserve to be paid for the art they produce :wink:

1 Like

If you go to the link I provided it is a video of a Russian with his arm in a laser engraver having an NHL logo burned into him. So yes it is possible. Whether it is a good idea is up for debate.

1 Like

Yep, I knew that video^^
That’s why I said it is “kinda” possible. Like, most bodymods are basically injuries, and of course you can hurt yourself. But - my humble opinion^^ - that’s not the same.
Though it would be really interesting to see that NHL logo after some years or such…

1 Like

That much is true: I bodymodded my pinky toe using a door jamp and very successfully changed its shape years ago - with as much pain as should be proper for a bodymod worthy of the name.

2 Likes

So you definitely modified your body :wink:
But maybe some sort of intention should be involved - I think intention and voluntariness are important to differentiate bodymods from accidents (and stuff like genital mutilation as well). But to be honest, the more I think about it, the more I find some “grey areas”, especially with very traditional bodymods like foot- or skull-binding… :thinking:

Yeah yeah totally unintentional. It most certainly don’t qualify as a bodymod :slight_smile:

Although I’m not saying I endorse it. Someone on the discord recently did this with a CNC laser. I believe they said it took around 5 passes

Cant be uniform, fixed focal distance and non uniform meatbag shape