My lung implant :)

A read with a regular or high-power reader held up againt the chest would definitely substantiate the claim :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Part of me wants us to be true because itā€™s a great story, but another part of me doesnā€™t want it to be true because it puts I was a little bit of darkness into what we do here.

2 Likes

I personally am very wary given the veryā€¦ flourished story that comes with it.

Also, who the hell has an 11yo implant them???

7 Likes

Itā€™s probably a CT scan (notice the presence of a table on which the patient is lying. the bones show up as white, tissues as darker, relatively low resolution - probably an older device). I compared it to some other thoracic CTs, and it seemed about right. But Iā€™m no radiologist :sweat_smile:
Also is a transverse ā€œcutā€ through the thorax, patient lying on a table and being moved through a machine.
Well I donā€™t know, after I read the paper in #35 it started to make more sense to me.

The surgeons in the above case report claim: ā€œIn our case, it is estimated that an inadvertent placement of the subdermal contraceptive implant into the basilic vein occurred during the initial procedure. The subdermal contraceptive implant migrated through the upper limb veins, stopping in the pulmonary artery branch in left posterior basal segment, then broke through the pulmonary artery branch and invaded the lung parenchyme.ā€

Also, an implanon is quite a bit larger then a x series, at 40 mm x 2 mm.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5439282/

That is an excellent question, and I have no clue.
Itā€™s very intriguing :sweat_smile:
Perhaps the migration is just very slow, due to the objects large size and streight shape - so it would get cought, the tissue in the vein would stretch a little, it would slip further ad nauseum? The reason itwaouldnā€™t completely block the vein is because it is not that big, has a round, ā€œfluidinamicā€ shape and is biocompatible, so no immune response.
All completely hypothetical, of course. iā€™m no doctor

The obvious question here is why the implant was in the right hand at install, right ā€œlungā€ at xray but in the CT appears to be on the left.

Huh. You are right! I didnā€™t even motice! Perhapse some funky image mirroring? Now that is suspicious.
EDIT: noo I think i see it. Is the CT being done inversed? Like the patient being viewed ā€œfrom their feet to the headā€ instead of ā€œfrom the head to the feetā€ as usual. Definitelly weird.

Yeah, so that the face/head would be in front of us, and the feet behind us. Like this:

Looking in the direction of the arrow, in the transverse plane so their right lung would appear on our left. Iā€™m sorry, Iā€™m bad at ecplainjng things, but itā€™s the only thing that would make sense.

1 Like

Inverse? That would make zero sense as its in the upper torso head first if in the top half feet first for bottom half. Generally the flow of the ct is moving top to bottom I.e. images take in that order unless they reversed the video to.

I feel we are really clutching at straws to explain or disprove. I for one look foward to the medical paper / artical.

Here is a metaphorical rendition of what happens when something looks like it should go through something larger but doesnā€™t because of its particular shape:

Or through something smaller but doesnā€™t because of itā€™s size

Train

1 Like

You are right, and I probably wonā€™t discuss this matter any further for the reasons stated above :sweat_smile: Looking forward to the case report :slight_smile:

About right, but the vain would have a bit of natural give to it so it could probably slowly crawl forward.

Yes, the comparison isnā€™t quite accurate in that itā€™s the couch that has give and not the door frame :slight_smile:

More seriously, I meant to say that the long narrow implant might have traveled quicky down a closely-matching bore, then jammed sideways in a larger bore vessel. Or it got stopped by a vein branching and finally teetered free and continued on. In fact, it might still be doing that in the OPā€™s lung, provided the veins downstream where it is currently lodged are wide enough.

Not quite true, it can be done in either direction AFAIK. Doesnā€™t really matter though.

Itā€™s probably lodged in a end capillary, so it hopefully and probably wonā€™t be doing that (it would be catastrophic).

Ok now itā€™s really enough of posting :slightly_smiling_face:

I know it can be Iā€™m just saying that if yoy where just watching the slices then it is normally first to last :slight_smile:

Seems sketchy to me. Most people do not have veins big enough in their hands to accommodate large bore needles without rupturing. If there was a large enough vein present you would have seen that before inserting the needleā€¦

1 Like

If it were big enough, it would have also bled like hellā€¦

3 Likes

I can see something lodged in a vein just sit there being all chill and then due to some heightened heart rate stuff, get the urge to take a trip.

A couple of things come to mind - kidney stones and blow guns. No real movement until there is a high pressure build up.

2 Likes

It could have just nicked at the vein, but most of the implant sitting outside of it, until a bump or something dislodges the implant which flows into the vein, and then immediately moves away.

That said, I do share @anon2520759ā€™s opinion.

If you hear hooves think Horses, not Zebras.

And right here we got a frigging pink unicorn shooting lasers!
(@coma, if you care to illustrate, please?)

Also, Iā€™ve already heard a similar story about a guy who put a new chip on his right hand and it migrated to his left arm.

Had all the evidence to prove the microchip was there.

After attempting to read it unsuccessfully he eventually found out the chip was HF, while his right hand chip was LF.

Then he found it even ā€œmore oddā€ since he previously had, but then removed, another HF chip from his left arm when it stopped working after an accident.

Then everyone facepalmed.

(i.e. his chip never got implanted, so it never migrated. And while searching for it he found another chip which had always been there despite he believing it got removed. both flukes by the same ā€œprofessionalā€ btw)

Not stating itā€™s the same case, just that it reminded me of it. (which Iā€™m not even sure how true is. heard it on the grapevine)

The story does seem extraordinary. But I err on the side of believing it here, because there is material to back it up, and more importantly, why would anyone go to such lengths to make up such an outlandish story and troll an obscure niche bunch of people like us? Sometimes things are so unbelievable they must be true.

You are indeed much moreā€¦ naive? or just ā€œbeliever in the good in peopleā€? than I am. :sweat_smile:

Completely agree there!!

Although I donā€™t think it applies to situations where itā€™s ā€œjust unbelievableā€. this isnā€™t that level of outlandish imho. :wink:

Also, I am not actively attempting to disprove him, I quote @Devilclarke:

This creates a situation where ā€œbelievingā€ is not a matter of trusting the OP or not.

Because we have such an incredibly unlikely event with so little actionable evidence, the little bits we have are questionable, there is gain in the fabrication of the story, there is also gain in telling the truth, OP assumed a defensive posture even before anyone questioned his post ā€¦

Then we have a situation where itā€™s hard to figure out what is the correct option, thereforeā€¦

ā€¦think horses.

1 Like

I assure you this is far from the truth :slight_smile:

But the clincher is: whether itā€™s true or not, who gives a shit? Itā€™s not like itā€™s going to change my life or anything. So Iā€™m ready to believe it as a default attitude, and be aware that this might happen if someone is unfortunate enough to inject something in a big vessel. Beyond that, Iā€™ll just go get another beer in the fridgeā€¦

I might be more suspicious if it wasnā€™t of so little importance.

4 Likes