Numbing Gel vs Emla Patch vs PMK

Finally have a finger magnet that I’m confident in having installed! Would the numbing gell be enough for a fingertip or would I be better off waiting for the PMKs to be back in stock? My gut says PMKs for nerve block but lemme know your thoughts!

Should be ok.
I’ve read that you put your finger in a part of a glove with gel in it for 90min or so.

Hmm, I will have to order a packet and do some testing!

On hairy skin the best result is +2h.
I preferred to give it 3.5h, however the 90min is plausible.
The absorption is different on non-hairy skin.

And if you are a redhead, it wears off faster.

Source for the non believers

5 Likes

I’ll probably go for longer rather than shorter absorption time lol

1 Like

Hairy fingertips? Damn, I’m happy to be female… :smile:

2 Likes

Only when I pick my nose (=

Figured this would be a good place to put this rather than making a whole new thread. I’ve been pondering what would be effective numbing for larger implants (flexMN, Pegleg v3 hopefully) and when it would actually be worth it.
Say for instance I wanted my flexMN on watch face placement, would lidocaine patch/injection be worth it? I’m aware some people do those cold turkey no numbing, flex wedge with the needle I understand but otherwise I myself am not that tolerant to pain.
Secondly Pegleg, for those that know was any numbing used for the Pegleg installs? I imagine that’d be awful otherwise. If so how does one even localize lidocaine to such a large part of the body? (No worries I’m not self implanting or anything just some things that came across my mind).
@amal any thoughts?

oh. no.
Well, that sucks.

Out of curiosity, is there an upper time limit for effective use of the numbing gel? 2hours? 3? 4? I kinda need to know now for when the Titans arrive.

In my experience, 2 hours of occlusion, remove covering right before procedure. Good enough for pocketing work and everything.

About 45-1hr of good ‘work time’ and takes the edge off recovery for a good few hours but wouldn’t want tugging that long.

I don’t know how people do the flex installs without numbing. I can do xseries no problem, but very glad I had it for a flexMT. That might help compare my pain tolerance to yours - there’s no right answer here but that’s my experience

My experience:
It really starts working after 2 hours. It peaks around the 4h mark.
Then it simply gets absorbed by the skin and the effect fades.

You can re-apply the lidocaine to the surface…in theory(!) but you don’t want to do that, because you enjoy having blood circulation.
But that’s just the topical.

If you get some lido injected…that is a game changer.
The worst way to describe it like the difference between a splif and a cookie.