Options for Extra Senses?

While pondering my next “upgrade”, other than Apex (whenever that drops), I started thinking of possibilities for extra sense via implant and other biohacking means.

There’s magnets, of course. Though right now it seems there aren’t a ton that are ideal for sensing, but that seems likely to not be the case forever, so I’m basically in a holding pattern waiting for a good one to come out.

There’s stuff like North Sense, which right now is pretty… intrusive… as far as implants/etc go, and I’m not even sure you can buy it right now… but like… that tech is likely to improve/evolve too…

There’s even stuff like artificial Aphakia (from cataract surgery usually, but in theory could be something you could have done, though I imagine it would be tricky to find a surgeon willing to do it JUST for the sake of seeing a bit into the UV spectrum. Possibly a direction you could go with a prosthetic eye though as that tech evolves, to allow for seeing outside the normal human range. Not there yet but some serious work is being done lately on getting the optic nerve to talk nice enough with tech that a decent cyborg eye COULD be possible… eventually… maybe… hopefully (my eyes suck haha).

Outside of that, you have bonkers thinks like Project Soli (which uses what is essentially super-fine level radar, which coupled with implants could mean all sorts of things things might be possible… from interacting with tech via gestures, to recognizing materials/objects/movement around you without having to see it (spidey-sense anyone?)… but it seems to have been stalled (or at least pretty damn quiet) for a couple years…

Anything else out there really ready to use NOW, or on the foreseeable horizon?

7 Likes

I think you have seen this but linking anyway

That combined with stimulation system hooked up to a sensor would be interesting.

It’s in the latest pixel :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Ah excellent, at least it’s still in active development then!

1 Like

Well I love talking to people about Neuralink whenever I can. It’s a brain machine interface, so basically it allows your brain to communicate with machines and vice versa. At it’s current stage the most advanced thing they’ve done is getting a monkey to use it to telepathically type on a computer. They were planning on human testing this year, but I doubt that’ll happen now. There are endless things you could imagine this chip giving you the ability to do. Check out the launch video if you have some time.

3 Likes

AH yeah, Neuralink seems like it could be pretty interesting, eventually. SUPER early days though, and an actual brain interface is gonna be a hard sell for the Mrs at least for a while through the “early adopter” stage of things haha.

3 Likes

Early maybe, but the science is there. BMI isn’t a term they made up, you can go get a BMI today if you have the bravery and connections. They’ve just advanced this technology super far in a few short years. If they keep going the same pace then I don’t think we’re that far off. But ya I get you on the Mrs not liking it. I think I’ve come to an understanding about biohacking with mine, she understands how important biohacking is to me.

2 Likes

Oh for sure, I’ve been watching Neurolink fairly closely (sort of wish they’d go public so I could grab some stock)… but that’s definitely on the “extreme and probably not super close to commercial availability” side of things, for now at least.

My wife is mostly chill about the couple of chips I have, and she knows to expect more… but I’m guessing “hey honey, I just set an appointment for a brain implant” wouldn’t go over amazingly hahaha. At least I probably have a few years to soften her up a bit on it!

2 Likes

bTnpweh

4 Likes

Right? But I get Musk’s ideas on that. In terms of SpaceX, he said that going public would make the company focused on making money instead of going to Mars. If Neuralink goes public it’ll become about building BMIs for handicapped people instead of Musk’s goal of merging our minds with AI. Not saying handicapped people don’t deserve the awesome things Neuralink can do, just that I also want to be a complete cyborg.

On a side note, Tesla stock went up a couple hundred in a couple of weeks so that was great.

2 Likes

For sure, it’s probably best, in the long run, to keep it private at least for now… but… damn. The Tesla stock has definitely be recovering nicely this week.

2 Likes

HAHAHA. I just asked my wife what she’d think if I got a Neurolink when they came out with something useful, and she told me, and I quote “you gave me a kid already, so I release you, you cyborg weirdo. Do whatever you want to yourself”

So that’s a fun change hah.

7 Likes

There is so much potential for puns… about you wife… “releasing you”…

tenor (1)

2 Likes

HAHA, to be honest, I’m sort of amazed she didn’t make any “cyborg penis upgrade” jokes, like that episode of Rick & Morty. She must have been distracted, she’s usually on the ball torturing me with puns/jokes/etc

2 Likes

There is a section in Implant Sutra about that…

Tehehe… I will go back to pretending to be mature now…

3 Likes

it’s 4/20. No one should be mature today.

2 Likes

If we get fully immersive duplex BMIs would you prefer to use it to augment your IRL activities or would you rather a fully virtual world. :thinking:

1 Like

Fully virtual, no contest. My body can fuck right off hahaha. Bring on the Oasis.

5 Likes

uhhhHHHhhhhhhhh
Whats Apex?

1 Like

Bam!
https://www.vivokey.com/apex

It’s a new line of implants that VivoKey is working on that utilize the same chips that are found in credit cards and high security credentials. You can deploy Javacard applets to it.

3 Likes

Just got an email about a new thing from CyborgNest… Sentero, which sounds like a less invasive (and more feature filled) version of the NorthSense, that you wear on your arm…

Interesting… if sort of awkwardly bulky to wear in the same spot on your arm at all times… interesting though

1 Like