Pistol safe refit project

Ordered some 1n4001

I mixed up zeners and regular diodes… been way to long

Appreciate the help and not criticizing my ineptitude

2 Likes

The way the schematics is make it hard to determine what you want to put on the safe side and which part will be exposed on unsafe side.

Pretty much only the dc jack, the timer switch and rfid antenna will be exposed

1 Like

Just think about what that expose, what will happen if power is injected into antenna etc.

pretty sure the board MAY fail, but I don’t think it would fail open… it would just break the system…

… great now I’m going to need to buy another XACv2 and taze it to see if it opens

there’s a reason for the mechanical backup I’m keeping in place…

1 Like

I just see the system itself and safe construction as weakest point there, if someone have wooden/plastic/sheet metal box just for fun then the attack vector is way different. When it comes to opening el. lock safes if they do not have some obvious vulnerability the lock can be removed or new hole drilled just to get to wires controlling solenoid or motor to inject them with work power and completely bypass controlling circuits.

Simply put when it is used as furniture lock there is completely different expectation of security than when you want to modify a safe.

Definitely not sheet metal

Sure, because they will totally have an articulating endoscope and have time to use it

I say this in the nicest way, you’ve been here 1 day… maybe make some suggestions or ask questions before being a critic

I’m more than aware of weak points on the safe as I’m wrist deep in rebuilding it, I pick locks and know plenty of bypass techniques
I have plans to fortify it against various attacks… that’s fine tuning later… I need to get the rfid board wired and working first

Just because someone could maybe do XYZ doesn’t mean anything….

Someone COULD cut my hand off to get in, but I’m
Still going to use rfid

If you think you can do better, your more than welcome to build your own and show me up

1 Like

And I also haven’t said do x or do y, I have just brought up some questions and left them for you to decide what is acceptable risk for you.

Btw do you see need in cutting words out of my quotes?

Is clearly showing that there is different view when it comes to furniture vs safe

You taking just

and believing that it is somehow attack on you is quite disingenuous.

Quiting entire posts is annoying. And yes, I get it, it’s a low end safe that doesn’t have concrete in the walls and door, doesn’t have hardplate or ball bearings, and it doesn’t have any relockers…

However, that thing also lacks the terrible flaw that most chinese safes have and I’m sure that @Eriequiet will harden the mechanical lock once the electronics are working.

1 Like

No I literally meant that me saying that there is difference between safes and other furniture that leads me to questions that he might want to know answers to before completing the project was misinterpreted by him as personal attack on him instead of suggested further areas to test.

I made a mediocre schematic that should help explain what I meant with the diodes:

However, lead acid batteries are really easy to use so it’s possible to make a basic UPS using just diodes:

2 Likes

@enginerd I’m going to send you a pm about further questions and electrical layout

I’ll just post the final product when it’s finished

1 Like

Ok the wiring is progressing,
Proof of concept works,

Now I just need to get all the little bits wired up, and keep it clean as possible

Food for thought from the community

Should I make the face plate blank like the big gun safe?

Or alternatively should I put engrave something fun and color fill it?

The most basic would be an outline just larger than the antenna

I might not be able to put any engraving directly over the antenna, assuming I make that as thin as possible

Alternatively I could sacrifice a smidge of range for some aesthetics

And cool icons or symbols you can think of?
I’m back and forth between something very obvious like a cyborg hand icon, to something a bit more vague like a 4 radiating waves rf symbol

I think you should engrave it with something. Bonus if you can integrate the antenna into the engraving design without losing any range. Still covered of course.

Design suggestions?

Here’s a bunch of icons I was thinking about, but hrs kinda on the nose… I also kind of enjoy people not knowing what happened when I show them it opening

1 Like

I wouldn’t put either a hand or anything like “radio waves” on it.

Put some alchemical symbol on it so you can just claim “magic” when someone asks how it opened.

Something like one of these for example…

2 Likes

I’ve thought about it

1 Like

There’s a psychological phenomenon where a person is much less likely to try to do something (if it feels improper) or steal, or such, IF that person feels observed. Even a couple of eyes painted on the wall can create the effect.

Maybe your emblem could have an extra layer of security if you printed this off on a sticker and put it there.

1 Like