Proxmark being weird

Ive had this thing for quite a while, got it running with little issue last time around. Wrote the chip i needed, and its been sitting in a box on a shelf for the last 6 months or so. Laptop died, bought a new one and am now trying to set it up. Downloaded the newest build, flashed the prox because there was a version mismatch, hw tune, lf antenna is “unusable”. What do i do now?

1 Like

You’re missing one of the screws that connects the LF antennas, you need a screw in both of the top two holes

1 Like

Thats this right?

1 Like

Yep that’s the right thing, though I changed my guess when I saw the pic of the device…

I thought I was fast enough :classic_tongue:

2 Likes

Gotcha. Could have sworn they werent in last time i used it but worth a shot. Can i just move the bottom one up or am i gonna have to wait until i get home? Im pretty sure its in a baggie at home

Or just swap sides on these ones? If i remember right it had something to do with some screws being too long after removing the middle piece

1 Like

This is the configuration I’d recommend without the mid-board:

I’m not sure about the screw sizes, I thought they were all the same

1 Like

Maybe they were, its been a long time :joy: ill check that out quick though

1 Like

Still nothing :thinking:

1 Like

Looking closer at the thread I posted above, I think the arrows might also have to be in the center, try flipping the antenna around or shifting it down

Still unusable, and im kind of wondering how they had it with the exposed smd components in the one pic, the spacing is different and it doesnt fit down there

1 Like

Could you post a picture of the lower board without the LF antenna on it?

Also shows the difference in screw holes that is super confusing me right now
d3d98721d94ffc21f4359325c1bc21c331ddc436_2_666x500
Whats been modified here to make it fit?
Oh hang on the lf is a different rev. 5.4 vs 5.0
Actually that might not be a 4. Sorry :joy:

1 Like

It seems the PM3 Easy varies a little bit in design from manufacturer to manufacturer, so I guess that’s just not possible on yours, sorry

I was hoping I could tell which of the posts the antenna was supposed to connect to on yours, but I don’t seem to be able to…

Which pretty much leaves me out of ideas…

The good news however is that there’s a lot of people here who know more than me, so I’m sure someone will chip in with some more things to try soon

One last thing, have you tried the other USB port on the PM3?

Yeah, tried both. Still not sure what the difference is, i feel like i remember somebody saying one was read/write and one was read only or something. Lemme double check i got a successful write quick actually

Yeah looks like it was successful

1 Like

On most PM3’s (All that I’ve seen at least), the port on the long side is just for power for standalone modes, and you have to use the short end to actually communicate with the computer

You’ve got a real fancy and picky PM3 there it seems

1 Like

I swear it wasnt nearly this picky last time i used it :joy: it does give a response with the tune command on both ports though

1 Like

Found the problem. The screws are in fact slightly different lengths, the shorter ones have to go in the middle

2 Likes

Wow, good call!

2 Likes

Also… you had the LF antenna on upside down…

That’s correct but missing screw… but then…

That’s upside down hah… but you must have fixed that when inspecting the lower board.

1 Like

Actually its still upside down :joy:

1 Like