Purewrist prepaid payment card in USA

I was planning to post more lol but excellent video

I’m part of a thing yay

2 Likes

Well that one flat terminal there fairly common is giving me issues

I need to figure out how to arrange some time with one and a field detector

Edit
This one

I think I saw a video on that one and the sweet spot was an awkward bit at the top edge. Maybe give that a try?

This looks like the machines at Meijer. You may be able to get some alone time on a self checkout line so you don’t feel pressured.

I work at 2 retail stores that use them. My experience is that my next reads (and errors out due to not being a payment card) when I place it perpendicular to the top edge and slowly drag downward onto the screen.

1 Like

Right there is the sweet spot for an x series

2 Likes

Totally forgot I should have been taking vitamins during recovery, oops

@MTFT , any chance your willing to video using a field detector?

Sure, I can do that this weekend (maybe)

Got a little quality time with a reader at a gas station, clerk was super nice and friendly so she let me play for a few minutes

Found the sweet spot, but still no reads

I did get one “read error” so getting closer

Only a week old so I probably have some swelling still

@Eriequiet
Those Verifone MX915 are a real pain. I figured them out though. Here’s some good positioning options:

It helps to basically put the tag against the screen slightly in from the edge, then slowly move it outward keeping it parallel with the screen edge. It helps to have a diagnostic card handy the first few times to figure out exactly when the field is on, because if you get a misread from fumbling around the clerk often has to back out a step in the POS and re-initiate the payment. Also the field shuts off automatically after about 30 seconds so if you’re trying too long you’re wasting your time.

I really need to put that montage video up of all the reads I’ve done over the last few months. Of all the readers I’ve tried that Verifone model is the second worst (first being ingenico) and they’re ubiquitous around here. I’m going to buy a second hand one and take it apart and examine the antenna. May even be able to trick the controller into trying to read without an expensive base station so I can test the field shape.

I also sometimes get an error that says to only present one card, which I thought was due to my flexDF but now I’m not so sure. Payment terminals are really dumb devices considering how important they are for our day to day operations.

2 Likes

I have also had issues with a few verifone terminals, but was at a CVS today and they had kindly solved the problem for me! I wonder how much those cost… might buy them for my favorite cafe that I can’t pay at :laughing:

2 Likes

I get this error as well. I really don’t think it’s picking up my XSIID way on the other side of my hand (I wish range was that good!) so I think it might be due to weak signal or just a partial read?

1 Like

I worry about this since I have a xM1 in L1 and my flex in L4.5

Just double checking, which orientation should the flex be in comparison to a x series?

Is long ways the same?

For reading you would want an x-series crossing the reader antenna with the long axis perpendicular. For the narrow flex you want it in line with the edge of the antenna, with the long axis parallel.

Flex should be parallel?
Hmm

:sweat_smile:

SHOULD, but not necessarily the case, for me anyway.

I’m pretty proud to proclaim I do plenty of perfect problem free prompt payments with a perpendicular presentation in position 4.5 with palm :raised_hand: pointed toward my person.

:raised_hand: :credit_card:

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

Damn foiled again by verifone

Interesting thought occurred to me,

What if law enforcement demanded proof that its “your” credit card, more or less accusing you or somehow cloning a card… which we know is near impossible but they don’t

Not like there’s a name or easy to get card numbers to confirm to the app

One option may be a reader or app designed to show the info off of the card, various apps already exist for scanning the nfc data off of credit cards, then at least you can get the name and number, assuming that the purewrist is formatted similarly to a regular card.

I won’t recommend any specific app because I can’t speak for the security of them, and obviously scanning your payment info into random apps is a risk you should probably assess before attempting, but if you can find one you trust, it could be an option

Obviously it’s not as secure “proof” as a physical card, but at least the info could be shown to be tied to you

I highly doubt they would do that, since finding proof of credit card fraud is left to the banks. The way the system is built, even if you could spoof a card the money still has to come from somewhere so it’s the bank’s responsibility to verify that all money being spent is by the legitimate owner of an account. They have this pretty well handled, so the police aren’t really involved until the evidence has been gathered.

You do have access to the genuine card details on your Purewrist app or the website. You can just show the card number on the receipt and the last four of your card number on the app and say “see it’s real” and walk away.

1 Like