Representation of Implants in Media

new product the xPigHeart

it comes in one of those dissolvable capsules, you implant it and it unfolds into a new heart :smiley:

3 Likes

Now announcing xpigfartā€¦ it comes in one of those dissolvable capsules, you ā€œimplantā€ it and it unfolds into a new fart.

2 Likes

You are about 8 days late for the ideal release date of the DangerousThings xPIGFART implant. Perhaps next year?

2 Likes

Iā€™m going flex next, so imma need me at least a -6g needle to
Implant me on of em there flexFarts.

I think we strayed off topic and are becoming that which they believe us to be lol

Donā€™t mind if I do!

1 Like

I donā€™t know if anyone else has watched it, but Severance is one of the best TV shows Iā€™ve seen in a very long time. The first season just finished on Friday, thankfully it was renewed. The base premise is that a brain implant is created, allowing memory to be partitioned into work memory and home memory. When you clock in for the day, the implant activates, and you suddenly donā€™t remember anything about your normal life. No childhood, no relationships, no trivia, etc. Youā€™re a blank slate, do your job, and clock back out. This effectively creates two consciousnesses, so for the one on the outside, they go to work, get in the elevator at 8am, and theyā€™re instantly walking out of it at 5pm. The work consciousness never leaves, their entire life is work. This also allows the outside version to not know anything about what is being done at work, making them unable to leak information about their job.

This is referred to as the process of ā€œseveranceā€, a permanent split of the brain.

Thereā€™s also an interesting cult dynamic, as well as potentially some alternate history components.

Itā€™s a combination of comedy and thriller, absolutely beautiful design and production. Directed by Ben Stiller.

Anyways, back to the main point, the implants look pretty similar to ours.

Thereā€™s even a mascot:

Antenna and everything.

Thankfully they never make the idea of implants themselves a boogeyman, with the main focus being on the ethics of severance itself, and following the people of the show.

Itā€™s very tense. Highly highly recommended.

2 Likes

sounds good

It looks like it is currently only streaming on Apple TV ā€¦unless of course you know where else to look :wink:

I donā€™t watch trailers, but @darthdomo reccomend is good enough for me.

I saw there is a trailer on the Tubes for anybody interested

2 Likes

https://bs.to/serie/Severance/en

Summary

use an adblocker, use with caution. to be 100% save run it sandboxed

but secure browsing should involve sandboxing anyway ^

2 Likes

Oh man I think I provided the glass for this! A prop guy came to me a while backā€¦ many months ago now. I should follow up with him to find out if thatā€™s it.

10 Likes

thats-fucking-cool-amazing

If you find out, please post it here, I would absolutely love to know.

1 Like

I actually ended up writing an academic paper on this subject a few months ago (and I got to figure out how to cite this forum in APA style where). Black Mirrorā€™s Foster comes immediately to mind, with mind-altering implants. A mother has a tracking chip implanted into her child to track the childā€™s activities and whereabouts, see what the child sees, and visually block distressing content (like the way an online filter would function). The needle looks to be even slightly smaller than DTā€™s needles for x-series chips.

PACKAGING

IMPLANT

INSTALLATION

When are you going to start stocking these Amal?

5 Likes

jsut watched episode one on apple tv - it is free there. Hopefully I can watch the complete series somewehre and they will release it on netflix or amazon prime)

1 Like

Sharing cause I donā€™t see it posted on hereā€¦

I just came across a clip of a show called The Blacklist. Itā€™s on Netflix, and apparently free to watch on NBC/Peacock.

In the Pilot episode, it has a guy on FBIā€™s most wanted list turn himself in, and the FBI immediately say ā€œCall lab services. Have them fit him with an AlphaChip RFID Tagā€. Then they bring in a syringe gun thing and inject him in the upper arm lol.

I didnā€™t watch the actual full episode. Just the 5 minute video on Facebook. But Iā€™ll probably watch the first episode on Netflix tonight.

1 Like

Would you consider this a positive or negative representation of implants in the media? I on the fence about it.

Itā€™s funny how a certain percentage of the ā€œnormalā€ population latch on and exaggerate particular use cases, and itā€™s almost impossible to convince them itā€™s not as simple as they wanna make it

Like they wanna be biohacker futurists subconsciously, but wonā€™t commit lol

i donā€™t think i have ever seen a representation of a ā€œchip implantā€ in popular media (movies, tv, etc.) wherein the implant was not a liability for the person with it. The implant is pretty much always a bad thing for the person with it.

1 Like

it was actually quite goodā€¦ well parts wereā€¦ we always made fun of the FBI agents, particularly one agent, but it was an ok showā€¦ until covid. they triedā€¦ but it kinda went to literally pieces and we never picked it up again.

Iron manā€™s ā€œmicro repeatersā€ from 3 I think seemed to work out pretty well