Representation of Implants in Media

I’m making a list of movies and TV shows that mention chip implants… I want to do like a “mother of all review” videos that covers the use of “microchip implant” as a trope.

== Not covering animated shows or movies, or sci-fi movies where the technology is all fantastical, or unhinged conspiracy nonsense, or shows that talk about microchips more or less correctly (dogs, animals, etc.) … just shows that seem to present fantastical chip implant capabilities as contemporary or realistic technologies ==

• Severance
  • Mission Impossible 3
  • Borne Legacy
  • The Boys
  • Snowpiercer
  • The Belko Experiment
  • Orphan Black, Season 04 Episode 01, fingertip magnet implants at 16 minutes
  • The Good Doctor, S5 E13 (infected implant)
  • The Blacklist
  • Law & Order: Who let the dogs out (2001) 10:30 “A microchip implanted in the ear?”
  • Intelligence: Being Human (2014) 37:19 “I have a microchip implanted in my brain, mom.”
  • CSI: Legal (2004) 4:24 “Why else would you have a microchip implanted under your skin?”
  • Tremors: A little paranoia among the friends (2003) 9:15 “Each has a microchip implanted in its cerebral cortex.”
  • Dreamland (2009) 27:46 “The microchip was implanted without her knowledge.”
  • MTV 20: Live & Almost Legal (2001) 4:24 “Why else would you have a microchip implanted under your skin?”
  • Perception: Alienation (2013) 10:14 “I’ve heard they can implant microchips.”
  • Escape from LA (1996) 16:49 “had a tracking chip implanted in his arm.”
  • The Tourist (2010) 1:24:19 “You sound different - Voice chip implant”
  • Maximum Conviction (2013) 58:45 “I have the asset and confirmation of the chip implant and location.”
  • Big Bang Theory: The Tenure Turbulence (2013) 1:25 “chips implanted in their skulls.”
  • Page One: Inside the New York Times (2011) 17:06 “The chip that was implanted in me when I arrived.”
  • Grey Matters (2009) 18:55 “and I have that tracking chip implanted in my neck”
  • CSI Miami: At Risk (2012) 6:29 “there’s an RFID chip implanted”
  • Dollhouse: Stop-Loss (2009) 38:43 “there are gps chips implanted in your bodies. Find them.”
  • Off the Grid (2006) 14:44 “I assume they have the new locator chip implants?”
  • Slings and Arrows: Every Inch a King (2006) 15:53 “With a chip implanted in your head”
  • Smallville: Injustice (2009) 38:32 “The chips were implanted there”
  • Flux (2002) 7:35 “a chip implant, to pass through these fields”
  • The Moment After II: The Awakening (2006) 0:44 “and biological chip security implants”
  • Elementary: The Diabolical Kind (2014) 16:04 “RFID chips were implanted in both her hands”
  • Wedding Band: Personal Universe (2013) 28:11 “We got a chip implanted in Precious”
  • Working Stiffs (2009) 5:06 “having a chip surgically implanted in your body is so much”
  • ER: Scoop and Run (2006) 30:22 “Marsupialized the abscess on your shooter, sent the implanted chip to pathology”
  • Everybody Loves Raymond: Your place or mine? (1996) 0:29 “just sweat it out. soon the phone will be a little chip you can implant in your head”
  • Hitman: Agent 47 (2015) 6:10 “I have a chip implanted here.”
  • Slumdog Millionaire (2009) 4:21 “or a microchip under your skin, huh?”
  • Safe House (2012) 1:28:48 “it’s a microchip” ??? not sure about this one ???
  • Bug (2007) 1:25:08 “developing an inner-epidermal tracking microchip”
  • A Failure to Communicate (2003) “so, what’s next, microchips in the brain?”
  • The Blacklist: Wujing (No. 84) (2013) 00:30:24 “The microchip in Red’s neck just came online”
  • Wayward Pines: Do Not Discuss Your Life Before (2015) 24:32 “we’re gonna have to take out your microchip”
  • NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service: Housekeeping (2012) 31:14 “that a microchip?”
  • Moonlight: B.C. (2007) 14:03 “a microchip”
  • Troglodyte (2008) 1:07:35 “ben would embed a microchip with the spear guns”
  • Intelligence: Athens (2014) “was that the microchip”
  • Dreamland (2009) 27:37 “a microchip?”
  • Bones: The Pinocchio in the Planter (2011) 6:52 “it’s a tiny microchip”
  • Smallville: Injustice (2009) 17:52 “there was an explosive microchip in her brain”
  • CSI: Miami: A Horrible Mind (2002) “an identification microchip”
  • CSI: NY: Out of the Sky (2010) 15:17 “it’s a microchip”
  • Frankie Boyle Live 2: If I Could Reach Out Through Your TV and Strangle You I Would (2010) 1:03:49 “who’s put microchips into old people with dementia?”
  • A Constellation of Doubt (2003) 32:59 “and that was installing tiny microchips in each of our brains.”
  • NCIS: New Orleans: Watch Over Me (2014) 15:26 “Looks like a microchip”
  • Legends: Wilderness of Mirrors (2014) 1:25 “we removed your microchip”
  • CSI: Miami: Friendly Fire (2012) 19:54 “that looks like a microchip”
  • CSI: Miami: Friendly Fire (2012) 5:08 “he’s been microchipped”
  • Law & Order: Who Let the Dogs Out? (2001) 10:30 “a microchip implanted in the ear?”
  • Kim Possible: The Secret Files (2003) 14:13 “do you think i have him micro-chipped or something?” (kids animated show but relevant)
  • John Quixote (2002) 23:10 “he did it, didn’t he? tagged you with a microchip”
  • Den D (2008) 7:22 “where did you implant that microchip in my dad?”
  • Nip/Tuck: Dr. Joshua Lee (2007) “it’s a microchip, but there’s no serial number”
  • Flash Gordon: Conspiracy Theory (2007) 34:36 “with an untraceable subdermal microchip”

The goal is to find and download these shows so I can sample and show the clips from them in the video I want to make… if you have access to any of these shows, or want to help out… or have other ideas to add to the list, please let me know here.

8 Likes

I have access to like 80% of that shows.

If you have some kind of cloud storage I can may do some magic

If I put my eyepatch on and shout some arrrr I can probably get all of them

6 Likes

There’s also in the very beginning of the show where they use a “shitty version” and then later he requests a better version… no idea on episode but like… first 5?

1 Like

DM you with link

1 Like

I like it, but is this to also include the other list of misconceptions?

I think I’d like to see 2 videos, a short one addressing just the myths/misconceptions/lies in a quicker format

And then a Hollywood bullshit

Shrug

Time stamps for each would be a nice touch

1 Like

Yep I have a few videos in mind actually… the one that is just covering misconceptions

Nope back taxes spam scam
edit this was supposed to be a text, about if a call was important… and I remembered typing it but didn’t know where it went…

Hahahaha it’s funny enough I’m not deleting it

That sounds awfully like a Sisyphean project if it’s set out to speak logically to have folks understand how far the current landscape of technology is from those convenient plot utilities. But if it’s entertaining, IDK it might be a really cool thing to see at Defcon or among others here. I mean if you did a “it’s corn” for it’s a chip I think that might be pretty catchy.

1 Like

James Bond - Spectre

Biohackers on Netflix

Kingsman

Fack ju Göhte 3

criminsl minds

Einstein - Kybernetik
Staffel 3, Folge 10 (45 Min.)
They do later some stuff with chipimplants :slight_smile: Its german, I have the episode on my computer

Ahahaha - I like that! :smile:

proxy-image

3 Likes

Can you add season 4, episode 17 of Quantum Leap? I think we only need the first minute or two.

Logan’s Run?

One of the things I want to avoid is including sci-fi movies where the implant devices kind of already fantastical in a fantastical setting. What I’m looking for is more along the lines of CSI where they present a chip implant in somewhat contemporary society as if it’s a real technology that exists today and can do crazy things like tracking or whatever.

Basically the kind of show that a reasonable person could watch and think to themselves oh wow I didn’t know that existed. Even shows like mission impossible cover all kinds of technologies and a lot of that stuff really does exist that that like really cool masks that look damn near perfect and 3D printing… of course they put those two things together where a mask could somehow be 3D printed out of nothing in no time… But my point is they present a lot of technologies that really do exist… and chip implants are no different. They do exist, but their capabilities are laughable compared to what’s shown on screen.

1 Like

Makes sense

Moving this here since it’s also what we are talking about about

A possible new addition… that people mention all the time, that deserves a proper debunking… but might get into the weeds is that one particular chip that’s “the worlds smallest” or whatever the fuck nano dust

I never felt the need to fully dive into it, but if memory serves it was uhf? So it probably wouldn’t transmit thru skin anyways…

Also does it even contain the actual antenna?, because there are some physical space requirements for an antenna… the actual chip for most of our implants when not in the COB/MOB format, whichever I mix it up… are already super small… but the chip is the smallest component

Also it’s not biocompatible as pictured, so you can’t just “sneak it in”

Etc

1 Like

Yes there are two forms of this and they both require no additional antenna… but the giant reader antennas required to get readings must be within millimeters, or the identity isn’t digital at all but a unique analog resonant response which drastically reduces total possible unique IDs based on bandwidth.

download

1 Like

Law and order svu s12e1 locum
Over protective parents put a chip in their daughter to track her because she’s trying to run away

2 Likes

My response to that one is always, “Don’t you think if that was possible we’d have it for pets already?”

5 Likes

I’m thinking that a positive representation of implants in the media is “Cyberpunk: Edgerunners”. It portrays a or the path to redemption in 2077, as being the use of implants. The first episode lays this in concrete.

2 Likes