Safe alternative to xGLO?

That’s an epic comeback! Nice :laughing:

2 Likes

I’d say purposely heating up an implant is itself a flaw… controlling temperature to ensure it doesn’t overheat or cause burns would probably be impossible or extremely impractical. Also, I’m pretty sure the amount of heat required would be much higher than that which damaged or destroys tissue, so really not a good idea overall.

2 Likes

working on viscosity issues with the resin. voids reduce light transmission and output.

2 Likes

Could you stick em in a pressure pot?

3 Likes

2 Likes

Vacuum pot? Like silicon casting

1 Like

For resin casting it is common to use a high pressure vessel instead of a vacuum process.

This is because by pressurising the environment while the resin is setting the voids get compressed to the point they are not visible.

1 Like

I wounder why, something to do with the viscosity of the moulding medium? I suppose with silicone its much easier to pull bubbles out where as with resins it would be easier to compress the resin and in turn squish (technical term).

I have seen vacuum pots used on resin but only in the raw state prior to the “pour”

1 Like

I would avoid this because by definition it would “seal in” compressed air inside an implant… not something I’d want to ever see fail.

I do have experience with pulling a slight vacuum on things like elastomers and resins to pull out bubbles… but none of this will be necessary… I simply needed to ultrasound bath my mixed resin before applying. Mixing in the LIT powder introduced bubbles into the resin and placing the mix tube into an ultrasound bath for 60 seconds degasses the resin sufficiently. I have solid samples now.

3 Likes

So now the long wait begins…

This project needs to go into a project bin while I switch gears. The leap that is necessary to go from bench test to product is always bigger than expected… so while this project is set aside I will search for NFC nails with proper chip + LED and I will also begin to narrow in on which LED colors work best to charge this particular glow powder.

11 Likes

I have a question not related to this implant directly, but would you be willing to sell, or know anyone willing to sell 2 of the blue “vials”? (Not gonna call them implants for this purpose. )

I am not interested in implanting them, I would like to make a set of chopsticks with them. I figure if I source them from here, they would be sealed better than if I have to try to salvage them from a keychain from eBay. I would also be open to having 2 longer ones made, depending on the price.

Just an FYI you can get the vials like without having to salvage them from a keychain. Just search for tritium vial on your search engine of choice.

Like here is some blue 25mm long ones on Amazon.

1 Like

Not sure what I googled, but the first page of results only took me to eBay keychains.

I will gladly purchase from anywhere, I just figured someone here might just have some laying around they want to get rid of. Plus, I have more confidence that the ones made for implant, have a thicker glass? Or something of that nature.

Either way, I hope to have cyborg chopsticks soon.

Gonna cast out silver, twist vials into it, and seal the top off with a little robot head (maybe no robot topper, my skills are not the best)

2 Likes

I think the xGlo’s where just encased in the biosafe glass and resin like the other implants, not sure they would have had custom ones made for the run of ~15 they did on the site but not sure.

Either way make sure to post pics, they sound like they will look cool AF.

2 Likes

Will do for sure! I will start a thread later with what I am thinking.

I read the reviews on the ones you posted, they are fragile I guess. I am not going to be throwing them around, I just would like to carry them to eat with, and don’t want them breaking, kinda why I was hoping someone has premade in bioglass ones. I can always cast it into a resin and polish it, just expensive if I mess that up.

Project section
“Cyborg Chopsticks” :chopsticks::mechanical_arm: :robot:
Plan
Steps
Images / video
Finished project
The inverse of lightsaber chopsticks

3 Likes

Curious, how safe is tritium in general? Like is this stuff pretty gnarly if you break it and it’s on a keychain?

1 Like

As I understand it as long as it is outside your body it’s fine. Also it’s a gas so if it breaks it’s not like it’s going to hang around. From memory it’s beta radiation that doesn’t get through the skin.

1 Like

Ha, so implanting it is literally the worst option

2 Likes

I feel like snorting it might be worse but yeah it’s probably the most unsafe way to store it.

5 Likes