The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

Oh, I didnā€™t realize the steam deck runs it! I thought it was an old abandoned project. Good to know, Iā€™m curious to see how it does on pc

Why touch grass when you can touch goose?

3 Likes

Touch goose > goose touch you

They handled SteamOS kinda weird between the release of steam machines and the Steam Deck launch. Right now there is no official SteamOS .iso for regular desktop users (unless you try the community driven HoloOS). The current evolution SteamOS is Steam Deck only and is very good from my experience as a Steam Deck user. A lot of customization and with their Proton compatibility layer, a lot of games that are ā€œWindows Onlyā€ can be run, compared to Steam-Machine iterations of the OS that only ran Linux compatible games. They probably saw the writing on that wall that widespread adoption of SteamOS is not going to be likely unless it has feature parity and compatibility to Windows in general.

They said an official SteamOS release for desktop is coming, but no official deadline for when. I think their main priority is Steam Deck since its now in the limelight.

I would transition to SteamOS on my main machine in a heartbeat if they released it, but right now Iā€™m a sad Windows 10 boy who wonā€™t update to Windows 11 if I canā€™t lock my taskbar to the top of my screen instead of the bottom.

4 Likes

Boo laid off, but you had a pretty cool experience.

and Yay EMT, do you have an end goal? Paramedic?

2 Likes

It was an amazing experience!
The program Iā€™m starting in Fall is one semester for EMT cert, then a year for paramedic cert, and a year after for associates degree.
Figured Iā€™d get EMT and hopefully hop on an ambulance while doing part time paramedic classes. Iā€™ve always wanted to do something like this, so itā€™ll give me a chance to see what itā€™s like and if Iā€™m cut out for it and continue to paramedic, or change careers for the 10th time lol
Thereā€™s so many different options for paramedic jobs that I donā€™t really have an end goal because a lot of them seem really cool!

3 Likes

You could always go for the highly specialized ā€œHigh Altitude, Pole Climbing EMTā€

Actually there are some real uses for repelling skills in search and rescue. And itā€™s not always in the great outdoors. A couple of years back at a place I used to work at, a guy stuck his hand in a running auger (yeah, really). He was about 30+ feet up on the side of a piece of equipment and they brought two repelling teams inside the plant to get access to him while they worked to free him.

We also had 3 ambulances, two helicopters, a pair of surgeons, and ALL the available first responders (fire and police). Long story short, donā€™t reach into running augers, kids.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve thought about search and rescue stuff. Donā€™t know too much or where EMTs or anything would fit in. Definitely something I need to look into!
That sounds like quite an interesting day at work! Feel bad for the person, but glad there were enough people there! Thatā€™s insane!

I know of a case were someone took apart an extruder blade assembly while the machine was runningā€¦ Thankfully he still has both hands. (And a bunch of scars.)

that reminded me of this legend

Ouch!
That doesnā€™t sound fun either!

In this new hypothetical game involving nfc implants you level up and win battles with your:

• Fantasy warrior (DnD,Tolkien,RPG)
  • Cute monster (Pokemon)
  • Warship (spaceship, boat, aircraft)
  • Castle (town, settlement, countryā€¦)
  • AI or droid (Hal 9000, Glados, R2D2)

0 voters

Monster! Although different Cyborgs would be neat too, could have some cool upgrades for your cyborgs.
I had an idea for a an NFC game I wanted to make before work consumed my life.
Remember the old Skannerz game where you collect monsters from scanning barcodes and could fight your friendā€™s monsters by connecting the two toys? Thought it would be cool to do with NFC tags instead. Is that kind of what youā€™re thinking?

1 Like

Iā€™d rather be a robotā€¦ So why not play as a robot?

1 Like

AI warship. Only it starts out dumb and you gotta build up itā€™s intellect.

2 Likes

Sounds almost like a Skylanders or Disney Infinity type thing. It would be fun to emulate that toys-to-life genre but with real people. Instead of the nfc tags being embedded in a plastic toy, theyā€™re embedded under our skin! Imagine a game where you can create and save a character based on yourself and ā€œscan yourself into other peopleā€™s gamesā€, so to speak

1 Like

ā€œIā€™m sorry, Dave. Iā€™m afraid I canā€™t do thatā€

3 Likes

Yes for that, the rest is a bit different, theoretically of course.

1 Like

Iā€™m intrigued! Canā€™t wait to see it!
Since youā€™ve got experience with making android apps, any tutorials youā€™d recommend for getting started? Iā€™ve got a couple Udemy courses Iā€™ve bookmarked. Now that Iā€™ve got more free time, I want to get back into programming and work on Skannerz clone.

1 Like