The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

6 Likes

ā€œThis may take a few secondsā€

Iā€™m not sure if this is a compliment or insultā€¦

4 Likes

Because many decades of dual plug being standard? (yes, easy to add/change a LEMO port.) Look at piston engine technology, straight out of the 60ā€™s for the most partā€¦

LEMO also appears(edit) fragile from the maybe 2 times Iā€™ve encountered it (I didnā€™t actually plug/unplug because the headsets just stayed in the planes, so I could be full of it)

I did fly a plane with the 5-pin powered Airbus plug for a few years which was nice due to power (not needing to carry/manage batteries) and it was robust enough for multiple airplane changes per day over a long period.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s surprising about lemo being fragile since I use these plugs often in some of my build and they are wonderful

1 Like

I didnā€™t mean to state they ARE fragile, just that they APPEAR fragile. I have limited experience with them, and have never actually used them.

Iā€™m curious why? I canā€™t figure out whatā€™s the point of these. Bigger screen but doesnā€™t it drain the battery twice as fast?

Iā€™m a fan with my limited experience. I like them much better then xlr

1 Like

I have yet to encounter that connector. And I agree, having power for your headset without having to carry around a bunch of batteries is awesome! Ok, you should still carry batteries for your headset and flashlight but not having to change some of the batteries as often is awesome.

Imagine thereā€™s an app on your phone that can instantly turn it into a tablet and back into a phone. I was kinda skeptical, and it took a while for me to convince myself to pull the trigger, but Iā€™m glad I did. I could go on and on, but Iā€™ll just say that there are many applications that are better suited for a larger screen, like web browsing, for example. Earlier today, I clicked a link on Discord to a webpage with an embedded video, and I didnā€™t have to go through the whole rigmarole of clicking the video and full-screening it, then waiting for it to play; it just played embedded like on a desktop. But overall, it almost feels like a computer; you can multitask if desired. A lot of unexpected apps translate well onto a large display. Itā€™s great for browsing and showing photos. I think itā€™s just something you have to try for yourself to fully understand. I found myself getting carried away in some games/emulators when I never would have on a normal phone.

As far as battery life, I am very happy, and so far, it seems like a big upgrade from my last few phones (Pixel 6, 7, 8), despite the larger display. I think a lot of it has to do with having a more efficient TSMC SOC vs. Samsung, but I also donā€™t think the larger panel draws that much more power, or at least isnā€™t linear with surface area/resolution. As a long time Pixel fan I am excited for the Pixel Fold 3 in 2025 when Google are rumored to switch to TSMC for their Tensor chips.

Using the cover display (a normal sized display for a phone) almost feels a little constrained now. As someone who thinks smartphone innovation has stagnated for a long time, this seems like an obvious way forward to me now after trying it. Thereā€™s a lot of skepticism and naysayers but after using it I can confidently say if they had price parity to normal phones these would be in everyoneā€™s hands.

4 Likes

I was dubious too, But my Mrs. has one (Samsung Fold), She loves it, Her favourite phone she has owned.
I understand the appeal, and your points are all valid, except this

Not this guy, Its just to big for my pockets liking.
My preferred sized (smart) phone was the era of the Samsung S3, S4, and S5 or the early iPhones 3G, Iphone 4 etc.

Prior to my first smart phone, i owned my favourite ever cell phone.
Small, thin, light and discreet.

Sony Ericsson W880i

This photo for scale

1 Like

Makes me wonder if there are headsets that can take advantage of the 48v phantom from some mixers. i think clearcoms can.

1 Like

Maybe you would be into the Pixel Fold form factor more. Thickness isnā€™t that bad, but obviously itā€™s getting better every generation. Honor Magic V2 is only like 1mm thicker than an S5. But TBH I hate the Galaxy Fold cover display form factor.

(relative size)

Honor Magic V2 vs Galaxy Fold 4. Some very impressive battery tech (silicon-carbon) used in order to fit 5000mAh.

4 Likes

Thats actually quite impressive

Yes, and it gets even crazier. There is another plug that is very similar to the US-NATO. The UK-NATO, itā€™s just a little bit wider and doesnā€™t fit into the standard US-NATO socket :woozy_face:

That would be a great thing.
Bose uses the Lemo plugs on their aviation headsets and I kind of like them.

2 Likes

I use them for custom USB cables I make and I love them

4 Likes

No, It is literally a foreign concept to me here in NZ.
The idea of a litigation culture is fucken disgusting.
Dont get me wrong, I can see both sides of it, but I think any argumnts for it, is far outweighed by the greed factor that makes it so reprehensible.

The potential sums you are talking about, are nothing but unmitigated greed by both the ā€œvictimā€ and lawyers which inturn results in this culture of ā€œIā€™m going to sue youā€

4 Likes

This is what I call late-stage Capitalism.
The market will take care of itself they saidā€¦

1 Like

Opinions ?