The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

Itā€™s not my design, but I should have additional plastic of the various colors

Iā€™ll post a pic when Iā€™m done

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Wearable Countermeasures

Made good progress on my car ignition project today. I wanted to be double check how my ignition switch worked + figuring out the actual pinout, before I could finalize the board design and send it off to be made. So, I went to the junkyard, found a car the same model as mine, and spent about 45 minutes ripping out the ignition switch. Would have been easier, but I didnā€™t think to bring a 1 foot long socket extension with me (needed to remove the lower dash panel, had some crazy deep bolts), so I had to just cut it out from the front. Thankfully a lot of my assumptions were validated, just gonna spend some time today triple checking pinouts and making some notes on paper for continuity on each key position. It has 9 pins, but it seems that quite a few are redundant. The ignition switch obviously came with a lock I didnā€™t have the key for (and neither did the junkyard), but thankfully, I do locksport :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I would definitely recommend anyone else do the same if they plan on doing a similar project, having a spare ignition switch to test with has been a huge help. Not having to half disassemble my dash and having to risk my car not being able to start was well worth the money. The $30 it cost will also be well worth it if it stops me from shorting something out and breaking my body control module.

In other news, I got some more PN532 breakouts ordered, and my PinePhone comes Thursday. Iā€™ll post a write-up for the NFC case Iā€™m making for that as well, hopefully that should only take a day to finish. 3D printing the NFC case itself will take the longest time. Assuming everything goes well with that, Iā€™ve also started on a super basic touch NFC app for the PinePhone, just enough to pull UIDs and hopefully NDEF records. libnfc is compatible with the PN532 over I2C, so it shouldnā€™t be insanely awful to implement. Should be a good project for learning mobile Linux toolkits, too.

The Pinecil is still somewhere in China it seems. It shipped about a week ago, but China Post is not quick. Should definitely have paid for DHL for it, would have been well worth it it seems.

2 Likes

can we have all future implants put into Rupert Drops? kthx. ((of course not, but damn that is cool))

1 Like

I like that idea, incredibly strong, and on the off chance you do some how manage to break it, it will explosively remove itself, saving you from a costly removal fee!

2 Likes

Andre the giant hand size comparison.

Andre.

Myself.

Conclusion: not sure really. Just thought of this with all the hand size talk going on.

1 Like

Homer:

Screenshot_20201215-131556_Chrome

Myself:

2 Likes

You know what they say about hand size :wink: Well not to brag but mine are apparently ā€œadequateā€

3 Likes

yeahā€¦ itā€™s not the size of the hands, itā€™s how you use them :wink:

2 Likes

tenor (31)

but it takes a damned long time to get to England in a rowboat

Should have used them to get on a plane

Out of curiosity, has anyone here used JLCPCB in the past? Just got the first revision of my ignition board ordered (after a bunch of tweaks today), want to hear otherā€™s experiences with them. They seem remarkably cheap compared to everywhere else, for 10 boards (5 of mine, and 5 breakout boards for another project) + DHL international 2 day shipping it was only $26. Itā€™s not a super complex board, so hopefully they canā€™t mess it up too bad :smile:

Also for those that were interested, looks like bare board cost is gonna be almost exactly $5 + shipping method of your choice. Still tweaking the BOM, but itā€™s looking like ~$15 in parts with locking connectors, or $8-10 without. That also includes LEDs, resistors, and capacitors, so if youā€™ve got a good stock, you likely wonā€™t need any of those.

Iā€™m working on my final project write-up as we speak, so I can post that when the project is installed finished (hopefully within the next 1-1.5 weeks). Time all depends on how long Amazon takes to deliver my programmer and a few other tools I need, and how long Digi-Key takes to deliver the parts.

1 Like

Sweet :+1:
Looking forward to it

Super important question

how are we pronouncing

2 Likes

Yes use them alot for prototypes and small batches at home and work there super quick and never had an issue. Iā€™ve used both board and assembly service as well as 2,4 and 6 layer boards.

1 Like

Haha, Iā€™ve been going with Car-FID (eff-eye-dee). IMO when said out loud itā€™s a decent merge of Car and RFID.

Glad to hear that, thanks for letting me know. I had a few other services recommended to me, but for a board my size (135mm by 89mm) the prices were absolutely outrageous.

1 Like

Iā€™ve used JLCPCB, Seeed Fusion, PCBWay, and OSHPark. The first three all have the same prices, and they do good work. Personally I prefer PCBWay for a ton of reasons, but if you use EasyEDA and octopart then JLCPCB is the way to go.

Iā€™m surprised that PCBWay had the same prices in your experience, I just uploaded my gerber files for a quote, and on PCBWay itā€™s $43 for 5 PCBs, while JLCPCB it was $9.11 for 5. Puts it at $61 total with shipping on PCBWay, while itā€™s $23.91 total on JLCPCB. Thatā€™s with identical options, and DHL shipping on both.

big hands = Big gloves

3 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™ve never found a cheaper PCB fab than JLCPCB for small / low complexity parts. Saying that, I do see some small imperfections with JLCPCBā€™s boards, and I think PCBWay has better cost at scale / more flexibility.

Mind sharing the reasons you like PCBWay? Iā€™ve never ordered from them, but might be soonā€¦