The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

Need you a 12.7x108-millimeter DShK round.

Edit: Not you personally, your shelf.

You guys are making me miss my Nagant :frowning: I used to have an M44 that was refitted with a fiberglass stock. It was a blast.

So the barrel exploded then? :slight_smile:

My fav is an old 16-gauge Lefaucheux pinfire with Belgium-made damasc barrels. It was my first restoration project when I was in gunsmithing school, so I have kind of a personal attachment to the thing. It fires smooth as a babyā€™s bottom, itā€™s light (and - donā€™t tell 5-0 - :slight_smile: the stock is foldable for easy carrying). The only downside is, I have to reload my own pinfire shells.

Funnily enough, I hate taking my own creations out. I prefer taking someone elseā€™s that have more history and more talent than Iā€™ll ever have in em. Those damasc barrels for instanceā€¦ I tried many times to forge something similar: I know the theory, and I tried my best to make the same ones, but really thatā€™s a lost art. All my damasc barrel attempts ended up bursting.

Damn, Iā€™m rambling againā€¦ :slight_smile:

Not the one that was run by PO Ackley?

I donā€™t know much about gunsā€¦ The reason I mention Ackley is that my wifeā€™s grandfather was a friend of his. Her grandfather was a jeweler by trade, but an amateur gunsmith as well. Ackley developed several wildcat rounds that became more mainstream, and ran a gunsmithing school, originally in Beaverton Oregon.

Dev, Was that you doing the install?

Because thatā€™s not what your voice sounds like in my headā€¦

More like this

:rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah was me, well we can say thatā€™s my posh voice :wink:

3 Likes

All I can say is that Iā€™ve been talking to people from all parts of the UK area during the course of this pandemic, and Devilā€™s one of the few I can always understand no matter what time of day or what state heā€™s in.

Also as an aside, they can all understand me but I often canā€™t understand them. Sometimes they canā€™t even understand each other. What does that tell you?

2 Likes

Go far enough down south and I guarantee you a New Yorker will feel exactly the same way.

In all the countries Iā€™ve lived in, itā€™s the same story - although I will say an extreme example of that is Belgium: there are many villages 10 miles from one another that plain donā€™t understand each otherā€™s patois, both in the French-speaking southern and in the Dutch-speaking northern part of the country. For a country the size of an oversize football pitch, thatā€™s quite remarkable.

Back in the 1980s, myself and a Cockney were roommates while studying in Liverpool. The BBC broadcast a drama set in Glasgow (where I was born, but I donā€™t have a specific accent) and various people complained that they couldnā€™t understand a word of ā€œTuttiFruttiā€.

Neither myself, nor my roommate had any trouble with the accents we heard.

I have had some Americans claim that they canā€™t understand my accent, but that seems odd to me. (My accent is a mix of various bits but is not geographically specific. Most people canā€™t place me, including some people from former colonies.)

When one hits you and the other will miss? :stuck_out_tongue:

Also Dev:

3 Likes

I meanā€¦ I donā€™t know what a metric ā€œmileā€ is :joy:
But I can only assume @anon3825968 is referring to a kilometerā€¦

My Entry level US made gun can and HAS hit beyond a kilometerā€¦ try again :-p

(Iā€™ve genuinely missed messing with rosco about metric system, glad to have you back buddy :slight_smile: )

No. Both will hit you with equal precision and accuracy. But on the US rifle, you canā€™t help but noticing the forend wood thatā€™s touching the barrel that shouldnā€™t be touching there, or the huge-ass gap left to avoid that unwanted interference where a European gunsmith would have strived to leave 0.05 mm to 0.1 mm, or the too-light break-action, or the lack of reserve on the locking lever, or the coarse engraving (Americans marvel at any old engraving, even if theyā€™re particularly poorly made or even machine-made, for reasons that completely elude me), or the gritty trigger, etc etcā€¦ Little things that separate a good rifle from a great one.

1 Like

I ainā€™t even biting :slight_smile: Iā€™m perfectly comfortable using both when and where it suits me, unlike you guys :slight_smile:

Forend wood? How quaint haha

Hell, there are more than a few that they just removed the forend entirely,

Iā€™m clearly team function over form

Ew, pass lol

This is actually a current struggle, I kind of want a semi decent over under, but no silver, or scrolling
Struggles

Iā€™m pretty sure ā€˜milā€™ means a thousand soā€¦ a thousand e's?

I canā€™t separate form and function. Thereā€™s gotta be art and craftsmanship in a rifle. Thatā€™s an integral part of of the hunt: looking at a beautiful piece, marveling at its balance, taking pleasure at aiming and firing it.

European gunsmiths very often blue and engrave internal parts that the user never sees, and take care to line up the screws, just out of pride when another gunsmith removes the locks for maintenance. I like that. Not many products are built like that in this day and age.

I donā€™t think weā€™re taking about the same thing :slight_smile:

The art, is how well and reliable it performs its functionā€¦

Salt Bath Nitride being superior to even the nicest blue as an example, *for the stuff that I feel
Matters

Does professional blue or case hardening look nice? Absolutelyā€¦ but I want durable

The road forked a while ago for the different camps