The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

To any other U.S. college students in the forum (or anyone else if it applies to you). Were you guys trapped in a 3 semester housing lease too or is my college just scummy?
(Have to have 45 credits or be 21 to get out of my lease, takes 3 semesters minimum to get 45 credits)

Thatā€™s sounds sketchy

No idea if itā€™s common or not, just saying it sounds like garbage

Wow, that :speech_balloon: is random as fuckā€¦

I think in over 2000 posts in this thread, your one was THE most ā€œout of contextā€, derailing, hijacking and random

I love it
:+1:

2 Likes

Itā€™s pretty common for 4 year unis to do it in the U.S. I think.
Someone in the discord suggest I get legally married to get out of it and just get it anulled when I reach further exemption requirements. Honestly gonna try it.

Nope, all of our stuff is 2 semester, or one year. We donā€™t really have a lease, rather a housing contract. Every year right before winter break we decide whether or not we want to renew our housing contract for the next year. None of our stuff is credit based, but due to the minimum full time requirement, I guess you need 24 credits (12 credit hour minimum per semester). There are many ways for us to get out of the contract, hereā€™s the bit from the contract:
Screenshot_2020-11-18_15-43-55
We had a special COVID exemption for this year as well. If we decided to not to return for the spring, we could buy out the rest of our contract for part of the full cost.

1 Like

The monetising part is interesting

Anybody else remember when YouTube used to be good?

3 Likes

Iā€™m just glad Rewind 2020 was cancelled.

2 Likes

Yep, thatā€™s why I use an adblocker pretty much all the time - I never get any ads on ytā€¦ :wink:

4 Likes

Youtube Vanced is a great adblocker youtube app for android, itā€™s what I use now

2 Likes

I was this close to paying for youtube premium

Curious if this applies to that aswell

Iā€™m curious how the YouTube-r scene will take this as it sounds like there will be less incentive for youtube to actually compensate channels if they can just run ads on their own regardless

Am I the only one that keeps getting recommendations for random cuts of Russian chicken on AliExpress?

My reaction

Kremlin Fried Chicken ?
:poultry_leg:

2 Likes

Yes.

Also, what have you been searching???

Iā€™m not even mad, Iā€™m impressed

Idk, I havenā€™t upload a video to YouTube in months and I keep getting paychecks from them.
It is their platform, their business, not charity. Try owning and maintaining Servers, Video apps for even the Nintendo Switch and Apple TV, Multiple language APIs, Libraries, Plugins, accounts, to serve 300M users, translate, not to even mention the millions of dlls they give away to people for uploading their videos there. And do it for free? Makes no sense.

Instagram, Twitter, Tiktok doesnā€™t give you anything back and they still bombard you with ads.

1 Like

I dont begrudge them at all, however, my observations are the user experience has drastically declined.
YouTube used to be my ā€œgotoā€ for many things, It is now my fallback, I still use it, just much less frequently.
When I do use it, I often ā€œwatchā€ the full add so the uploader gets their dues.

As for FakeBook,

I would NEVER EVER use them, so I donā€™t give a flying fuck what they do, but since I also believe they are the major contributors to the downfall to society, I truely hope they they are wiped from the face of the planetā€¦
A guy can dream :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I often feel like that with anything Google related!
I went full on fanboy when they were still growing. had the best products, best browser, etcā€¦
Now I tend to run the fuck away whenever I hear Google is involved.

Mostly because I know it will be dodgy AF from a technical point of view! (Donā€™t even get me started on what goes on under the hood from Chrome!)

My personal go-to is Brave as a core browser (with a side of Firefox).
But PiHole is a great option.

The main reason I go for Brave instead is because I like to enable ads when using certain products, such as Photopea. Those guys deserve their revenue!

My critique for Google or, in this case Youtube, is not even close to me ā€œwanting it to be freeā€.
I am all about paying what is fair. Or even better, accepting to pay what the creator believes is fair or not using the service at all.

My problem with them is:

1. They donā€™t treat the users with due respect. They might put a good facade, but there are constantly hiding stuff and outright lying.
  2. They are a major player in the downfall of User Experience online. As long as we donā€™t push back they will keep bending and twisting in the name of greed.

I meanā€¦ since when was acceptable to have to watch 3 unskipable adds in a row before seeing a video?
That was unacceptable 5 years ago but does happen now constantly on YT, which means it will become a staple on other platforms soon enough.
And worst, creators will seldom get paid for all those adds. Just a fraction.

A good example about this thought process is Music industry. I absolutely refuse to buy a CD from a record label, but I do buy as much swag straight from the artists whenever I can. In a nutshell: because almost nothing from a CD (or ticket, or Royalties, etc) sale actually reaches the artist.
And YT is getting closer and closer to that model.
You might still get paychecks, but you sure as heck is not getting as much revenue as you should under the YouTube Partners agreement.

Me too.

Make it two, pleaseā€¦
Absolutely agree there with every word from that post.

1 Like

Coincidentally, Youtube Vanced is by the very same people, though I definitely get the selectable aspect as well

1 Like

It is just so convenient to have a one-click toggle.

I am not adverse to adds. There are many good businesses out there which make their revenue out of adds, and I like to support them!

1 Like