The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

I have a similar reflow station (a YIHUA 853D), and one thing to keep in mind as well, is that the Pinecil is also completely portable, and can be ran off of a powerbank. Iā€™ve used that a lot with my TS100 (built a 4S battery pack to use with it). Itā€™ll definitely come in handy when Iā€™m doing my car ignition conversion in the coming month or two haha. Working in tight spaces can be really annoying with a large reflow/soldering station too, itā€™s almost impossible to use on my dorm desk.

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking I might have to make my own power supply for the Pinecil because I donā€™t want to use it with mains due to grounding issues. If it works ok at 18W, Iā€™ll use an existing powerbank, otherwise Iā€™ll weigh up a lipo vs new 30/45/60W powerbank

One thing to keep in mind, you can see in the pics a little screw near the ports at the back. Thatā€™s meant to attach your own ground to the iron itself.

If you mean thereā€™s grounding issues with your actual mains, most type-C PD supplies donā€™t need mains earth at all.

Thanks for the info!

Finding a suitable ground is an issueā€¦ plus my PD supply which isnā€™t being used is 18W, so no better than the current powerbank.

Ok when i get paid on the 3rd I know what im getting.

1 Like

Hopefully theyā€™ll still have some in-stock. This is the first production run, Iā€™m not sure how many they have. Worst case scenario you could always pick it up on the next production run.

Iā€™m a fan of the Weller WES51

2 Likes

My current setup is closer to a pyrographer than a soldering ironā€¦ so Pinecil will be a great upgrade regardless! :rofl:

But Iā€™m no professional welder, so I donā€™t need a top notch machinery. And even if I could find cheaper options, I would rather spend a bit more in support to a company I like.

Alsoā€¦

That is what sold it to me the most, actually.
I do have loads of use for that feature.

1 Like

True! might have to borrow some $ till the 3rd. LOL

1 Like

At work, we have a few COVID-related rules. One of them is, the company is divided in 5 groups of people who are required to stay in their allocated side of the building as much as possible, and wear a mask when they go visit someone in another group.

My boss asked us for additional ideas to help fight the virus yesterday (not that it really affects us here, but why not). Since all our doors are RFID, I told him we should have electric door openers: scan your badge, and abracadabra, the door opens without having to touch the handle. ā€œNot a bad ideaā€ he said.

Today when I arrived at work, I found all the door handles marked with a sharpie. The handles on our doors are long vertical bars running the entire height of the door, and my boss had divided the upper halves in zones marked 1 through 5.

I asked him what that was all about. He said ā€œEasy: touch the part of the handle marked for your group. For those who are really worried about touching any of the handle, they can pull the bottom part with their foot. Not as snazzy as your idea, but cheaper and just as effective.ā€

Damn the Finns and their dogged commitment to no-nonsense. I was looking forward to the magic implant-controlled automatic doors :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This makes me think of the doors in star trek.

Oh also, FYI the PineBook has a Lid closed magnet, so if you have an xG3 or Titan etc, you can utilise that function

3 Likes

Considering I plan on getting my titan on the foreheadā€¦ I am laughing of myself right now! :rofl:

4 Likes

Donā€™t worry, you are not alone, we are all laughing at with you also
ClassicBackIbadanmalimbe-small

1 Like

Pssst

2 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving :turkey:(to anyone who celebrates it today). Wishing the best for the safety and health of yā€™all and your families.

5 Likes

Vivokey needs to get in on this action:

The airlines is just the beginning. Soon I bet most places will require a COVID immunity pass. Thereā€™s a very good rationale for carrying a ā€œCOVID-freeā€ certification implant - as opposed to lugging your passport or cellphone around whenever you want to go somewhere crowded.

1 Like

Bill Gates gives one free with each Vaccination.

5 Likes

It takes time to roll out and implement a workable plan of that scale. My guess is that we can have a sufficient level of vaccine / immunizations done before we could standardize and implement a pass system.

And thatā€™s not even allowing for the inevitable court battles. Realistically, 5 years, Iā€™d guess. If it was a full scale priority the whole time.

If they give us an applet for the apex, Iā€™m in.

3 Likes