The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

I didnā€™t really want to post about it in the project section yet, since I want to post it as one big write up when Iā€™m done, but I just hit a major milestone in a project Iā€™ve been working on for the last 2 months or so :slight_smile: Iā€™m working on my first custom PCB project, just finished my first board revision, sending it off for fabrication in the coming days. Iā€™m making a custom ATmega328P-based ignition switch replacement board, for starting my car via implant (gonna use the same board for my door unlock too since iā€™ll have spares).

Itā€™s got built-in support for a PN532 breakout board via I2C for the NFC half of things (using a nice 5 pin header on the board itself). Itā€™s got relays for each key position (key insert, ACC, run, and start) along with a spare relay in case I want to add extra functionality down the line, or if a different ignition needs an extra position for some reason (might tie my echo auto and dashcam into it, since my car doesnā€™t disable the 12V ports when the car is off). Each relay has a jumper to allow you to select whatā€™s needed for a particular car ignition (for mine the signal wires are active low, shorted to ground to activate, I know some ignitions use an active high type system). I figured if I have to order 5 boards minimum anyway, I might as well make it adaptable to different cars in theory. Itā€™s got some fairly obvious safety features too (fused via an automotive blade fuse holder, and a main power cutoff switch header for when I park for long periods). I also threw an extra I2C header on there, considering using one of those tiny OLED screens for a status indicator (the board already has a socket for 2 LEDs to act as status indicators).

The actual code is pretty much done for basic functionality as well, works well on a breadboard. Not very different from the code for my safe, just with a lot more checks in place.

For tackling the other issues with a car conversion, Iā€™m getting a basic transponder bypass off of amazon for remote start systems, and I actually threw a header on the board to provide easy power for that, also allowing it to be switched by the main power cutoff, or optionally the last relay (Iā€™ve killed a lot of car batteriesā€¦). Then for the steering lock, Iā€™m just gonna use the shaved key method that a lot of push button start kits use. Just take a non-chipped key, grind the head down to a stump, then leave it in the electrically disconnected ignition at the ACC position. Iā€™ll also throw a 3D printed cover over top of the key. My key cylinder isnā€™t on the steering column anyway, so with a cover itā€™s likely to go unnoticed. Without the transponder bypass enabled via relay, it wouldnā€™t be able to start the car anyways.

Iā€™m also working on a 3D print to allow it to smoothly integrate into my dash. I have a 1U radio and a 2U slot, so Iā€™m building it into the extra space (printing it in ABS, no worries about warping in a hot car). The faceplate will also act as the mounting point for the PN532 board, the main power cutoff (under one of those neat toggle switch covers), and two momentary switches for start and stop. I also added a double tap mode to allow me to put it in ACC if I ever need to. The faceplate is also where the LEDs are gonna mount, or the OLED if I decide to go that way. I programmed them like a standard reader (hold green if recognized, flash red if not, etc).

The project is called CaRFID by the way :slight_smile: If the digi-key order and the PCBs arrive quickly, and everything goes to plan with testing, hopefully Iā€™ll have it all finished and a write-up posted by the end of the month, if not itā€™ll probably go til mid-January. Iā€™ll also upload the KiCad files at that point, along with the firmware. If anyone ends up being interested at that time, I should have a couple PCBs left over too. Assuming the first revision isnā€™t absolutely terrible, Iā€™d be more than up for selling the remaining boards at cost, and sending the digi-key BOM so someone could put together their own kit. The BOM is currently ~$27 for the parts needed, with a lot of that being for connectors. Itā€™d be a lot cheaper to solder everything directly, but I decided I didnā€™t want to have to deal with soldering too much inside my car. The boards themselves are looking about $4-5 each including shipping ($24 or so for 5 boards). Being able to just splice the cables, throw a crimp and connector on them, and plug it in all at once, sounded like a lot less annoyance. Plus it makes it easier to swap out the board or remove it if I need to add a bodge or reprogram the board (via an onboard ISP6 header I added).

Sorry for the length and messy formatting, by the way.

6 Likes

Sick! Canā€™t wait man.

Also for everyone else weā€™ve got a newcomer
Heā€™s ignoring me now so weā€™ll see how this goes :smile:

1 Like

@darthdomo
Let me know if you want someone to take a pass at your board design and share some best practices before you send it out. Iā€™m on the Discord so we could voice chat and you could share your screen. Iā€™m familiar with KiCAD.

Really exciting project, good luck mate!

2 Likes

Anyone with a flexEM comfortable posting a picture of their implant? (if itā€™s visible under the skin, location and such)

I would be super keen, put me on your list.
Even if it doesnā€™t work they way you want, Iā€™m happy to support your community contribution and share the cost.

Iā€™m looking forward to your writeup.

2 Likes

Iā€™m looking forward to seeing this come together!

Might I suggest PETG instead of ABS? It has similar temperature resistance, is less brittle and is far easier to print.

Are you using SMD components where possible, or through hole components?

In addition for better or worse, petg is less chemically non reactive especially compared to abs which melts from acetone

Random magnet implant question

Has anyoneā€™s xg3 ever caused a x series to migrate closer?

All through-hole. I can technically reflow, Iā€™ve got a reflow station, but I didnā€™t trust myself enough for this kind of project (not enough experience). If I got a flaky connection anywhere, it could cause me to be stranded somewhere. SMD would certainly have been cheaper, though. And I love PETG, but Iā€™m nearly out right now haha (all Iā€™ve got is an ugly orange that Iā€™ve had for like 2 years). Iā€™ve got a few rolls of dirt cheap black ABS that I can experiment with a ton, which is why I planned on using it. Might end up picking up another roll of PETG by the time I do the final print, though.

Also, I just got a new printer today :blush: Upgraded from a Monoprice Maker Select V2.1 to an Ender 3 Pro. Got a ton of upgrades for it too, just finished getting them installed. My version has the 32-bit control board, which is a nice upgrade. So far since I got it a few hours ago Iā€™ve upgraded it to an all metal extruder, added a glass bed, and installed a BLTouch auto bed leveling system. Really liking it so far :slight_smile: auto bed leveling when done right is absolutely incredible, getting some great first prints. The build quality is way better than my old printer too. I added some Z-braces, and I still got a ton of artifacting. The design was just garbage tbh. I know some people donā€™t like the Ender 3 style design, but itā€™s a hell of a lot more sturdy so far.

Iā€™ll still keep my old printer around, itā€™s nice to have a direct drive machine (I installed a micro-swiss hotend on it too), but Iā€™m happy that I donā€™t have to rely on it anymore.

Very good initiative @darthdomo!!
Sounds like a great new option!!

Also, Me too!! :grin:
Mostly for the support aspect, since Iā€™m designing all my access control with 2fa appletsā€¦ so HF. =P

1 Like

are we talking the coin sized one? if so idk if anyone on the forum has it,but i assume it shows as much as the bigger flexes

Iā€™d be interested in a pic also as I believe the FlexEM is much stiffer than most flexes

I would be down for a flexEM but itā€™s pretty problematic to get installed in my state

No scalpels or stitches allowed

yes that one

Road trip !

Does anybody understand the Edward Zylock reference in the Family Guy s19e06 episode - Megā€™s Wedding?

Who is Edward Zylock?

Oh-My-God-Who-The-Hell-Cares-Gif-On-Family-Guy

ME, Peter, I do!!!

Thought this would be worth saying here to not just the discord.

I had an MRI today.

So 3 tesla philips machine arm was scanned with a wand as I told them about the implants in the end and 0 reaction so he put on the form as ā€œnon ferrous srapnelā€

Had the mri and there was 0 reaction, no vibration, no movement or heat of any kind. All tags read and function as they should.

So no surprises there :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I hope your results were favorable and youā€™re doing well friend.

2 Likes

I love this community for this reason! There never seems to be any trolls and everyone is at least civil with each other!

Yeah, nothing crazy. I got some large (10cm) swelling on one leg in a very localised area. Ultrasound showed its not tumor etc its not painful or gotten bigger its just annoying. MRI was the next investigation step.

Thanks for asking!

3 Likes

Lipoma? My mom got one on her head! It just kept growing until they pulled it out and sewed her up.

Thats what there thinking but still donā€™t know :thinking: hopefully the MRI will give us a clue.

1 Like