The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

In my opinion there is nothing wrong with appropriation.
I do it daily =)
Also it is proven to be good way to learn.
Some might call it standing on the shoulder of giants.
Even copying can be ok.

From dialectical to emperical waysā€¦

I repeat myself now: all about the context.

Thus I use the word: ā€œmis-appropriationā€ and so you should.

And I tell you why: I hate the fact that callout culture hijacks the dictionary.
New words get a layer of :poop: meanin, thatā€™s ranked up by google in an instant.
Grooming used to be a pleasure activity, to bond withā€¦
Gaslighter was a thing I kept as treasure in my kitchen at work.
Being awake used to refer to brains that present Ɵwavesā€¦ the list goes on perhapsā€¦

I am intensely tired and should probably sleep, but there is work to do and this conversation is just too interesting. :sweat_smile: The stress in the last few weeks has been off the charts

4 Likes

NOTE, iā€™m still not sure how to hide (blurout) images or blocks of text on this platform.

If someone decides to find my post offensive. Iā€™ll happily take it down. Its never at all my intention to offend absolutely no one. I love you all!

Oh my! Me too, I love to explore other minds and challenge mine to see if I can understand beyond my cultural blockage, perhaps I am way too much detached from a single mindsetā€¦

Is a tad long, and you donā€™t have to waste your time reading all this, but iā€™ll leave it here as I do enjoy talking to someone. This covid has kept me all year without meeting people, I take all the talk I can lol, here we goā€¦

I donā€™t completely dismiss what you are trying to say.

I was born in a super small town on the country side of Mexico.
Grew up hating gay people, we would yell offensive crap to anyone who was even just a little feminine looking or not the ā€œmachoā€ image we were all supposed to be, thinking that a girl who had sex with someone before me was worthless of my respect, etc, etc, etc, all the macho thing, never seen an Asian or Black person in my life. Rarely any blondie in town.

The first time I actually meet a black person was a church minister that was traveling trough our town. He shake my hand and to be 100% legit honest I felt somewhat disgusted, not even kidding, I literally gagged a little, like 4 real. He was very tall and his hands where so big and his skin very thick, his voice tone, the facial hair, damn even his body odor was a whole different thing, not that he smelled bad, but not pleasant either, my body reacted so strange automatically and my first thought was, I donā€™t know what happened here but I need to go wash my hand. He saw my freaking shock reaction obviously. But then he look at me with the most kind eyes ever, and touch my shoulder and asked me with his deep voice while smiling, ā€œhow are you brother?ā€ DAMN FML, I felt like a complete damn ass completely ashamed of my own damn reaction. He was working with a group of people in building schools for poor people. And holly F, poor ā€œhardworkingā€ mexicans couldnā€™t keep up with him. I saw a straight up leader, someone with passion and compassion for people that wasnā€™t even of his own ā€œkindā€, hardworking as hell, kind, warm hearted, gentile and loving. Then I heard other guys making jokes and talking behind his back about how black people this and that, and I couldnā€™t feel more disgusted to be part of that ā€œcultureā€.

Then moved to Texas, the fake cowboy crap, horses, big trucks, all the fat people and the hardcore ā€œkarensā€ everywhere. Moved to California to become a photographer, buahahaha one of my best friends there was a designer who was gay!!! he took me to damn pride event in SF and saw friken body builder dudes who could squeeze me with their pinky finger holding hands walking completely naked (except shoes) on the street, I thought to myself, (hahaha go ahead and try to yell something offensive to those two??? hell no, I wanna live). The designer was a super funny dude, and patient to explain me all my ā€œdoubtsā€ about ā€œhis kindā€. He loved to have fun of me and to freak me out every time he could with his shocking comments. We worked in many amazing projects together and love him like my own family.

And now in Japanā€¦ canā€™t even start to tell you how many ā€œculture shocksā€ iā€™ve had. And absolutely, to become ā€œsomewhatā€ accepted, I had to drop many ways of thinking that I had when I was in mexico, or america, and I had to learn to understand their culture (in each place I go). And pretty much forget about my own concepts of what I think is right or wrong, learn to see people for what they feel their are, and not for what I think they should be.

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

You asked me what do I think about a person with a ā€œGolliwogā€ tattoo, well, first of all, thank you for the link cuz Iā€™m almost 40 and I just learned that that old cartoonish image of a black person is called that. What do I think? Nothing really. Iā€™m not offended or really cared for what that image means to some people. I get it if someone wants to see it offensive, but to me, I donā€™t mind, I can just step aside and let the one who wants to have that tattoo have it and the one who wants to get offended be offended. Depiction of mohammed? the boxer? the god? oh no, thats mohamma?, the guy who was in jail or something? idk. Probably would think is a relative or a singer they like? I think the peopleā€™s actions matter more than what they wear on their bodies or whats painted on their skins.

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

I mentioned on a post up there, the Asian Swastika (卍 and 卐) are not angled like the Nazi one, but I get your point, when I came to Japan and saw a map where it showed temples depicted as Swastikas I was shocked until someone told me, lol noooo nazis tilt theirs 45 degrees.

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

Poop image is not ā€œde-culturizedā€ in Japan at all. Itā€™s still called Unchi, and is a cute word for kids, the character or references to it, still keep appearing with the same meaning as they did before the emoji was invented even up to this day in anime, movies, tv drama and games.

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

I donā€™t know what means by ā€œsupport of african-american communityā€ by using an image of a cartoonish exaggerated black peopleā€™s features.

There was a pokemon Jinx that when it appeared in Japan had the exact same features.
To bring the franchise to America they decided that this pokemon ā€œcouldā€ be considered racist and they decided to change the color to purple.

More even, a lot of Japanese anime depicts black people like this.
Just look at the work of Akira Toriyama, even in Dragon Ball with the character Mr Popo (bottom middle) who is basically a ā€œservantā€ of a ā€œgodā€ like figure dressed up like a ā€œgenieā€ which was a slave.

Is he ā€œracistā€? In the meaning that he believes that the ā€œblackā€ race is inferior and the ā€¦ what? yellow race is superior and all that crap? I donā€™t think so. Can some people be offended? Probably yeah.

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

I think that before accusing someone of what we perceive their intentions are, we should really learn what they are coming from. Someone with a Nazi swastica, I would be more insterested in knowing why he has some symbol that many could consider offensive? If his answer is Hail Hittler then ok, he is a fanatic, perhaps dangerous? or just a fool who wants attention.
Same with the ā€œblackfaceā€?

All asians look alike, fuck, some of them even think so themselves. All mexicans wear sombrero, all Japanese know karate, all people with a certain tattoo means this or thatā€¦ is all pre-judging and Iā€™m not in favor of that.

If their intentions are really to harm or offend, then thats another story.

My ex is Vietnamese and her father who barely knew english used to call me ā€œburritoā€.
I felt kinda offended, or like I should be offended, but many days he would bring me something from the store, or cook something special for me, or chill and drink a beer and offer me one. He meant absolutely no harm, at the contrary he was always supper supportive and I learned to push away my own mental blockage of what I think calling me ā€œburritoā€ supposed to mean.

In spanish a ā€œburroā€ is a donkey and is usually referred as an idiot, burrito is like saying ā€œlittle idiotā€, so you can imagine how ā€œoffensiveā€ that was supposed to feel every time that he calls me ā€œhey burrito, you, beer, with me?ā€, u know what, F my real name, lets enjoy a friendly company I decided, and it was fun and very enjoyable our time together.

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

So after all those experiences, I canā€™t judge someone just for having a nazi symbol or exaggerated featured black face tattoo, much less for having some design he liked from somewhere else.

I was accepted and loved even with my ā€œoffensiveā€ behavior countless times. I learned to stop being so ā€œdelicateā€ with how I perceive other people.

2 Likes

you got optionsā€¦

1 Like

Is constant leaden exhaustion just an unfortunate reality of adult life?

1 Like

Omg :scream: was there the whole time! Thank you!

Uncanny, Iā€™d say.

You need to:
ā€¢Be very lonely
ā€¢Thus become very open minded to do so. (been there, done that)
tenor (8)

Totally unrelated, but check out this if you have a sec:

Although, Zhang Huan is not exactly a photographer, rather a performer.
James Luna - self portrait, was the other artist (photographer) who came into my mind.

This discussion above about Tattoos, offending, appropriating / misappropriation etcā€¦is the WHOLE purpose for this thread.

Very interesting discussion guys, I have my own thoughts and feelings, many of which I personally:-

strongly agree , somewhat agree , no opinion , somewhat disagree, strongly disagree with the above statements

If I had to sum it all up for me in one word, it all comes down to:-

INTENT

2 Likes

Are we being told off now?

The word of the day! :partying_face:

1 Like

Speaking of tattoos,

Cant we talk about @LordSethos2000 glow in the dark tattoos? Or were they just uv?

I looked into Glow tattoos years ago and it was all toxic and bad stuff,

But thatā€™s got my gears spinning, if there are safe inks nowā€¦ there are sooo many cool ideas

Iā€™m thinking a circuit board type sleeve, with just glow in the dark would be insane

Also different colors for different circuits? :exploding_head:
Artist would probably hate me lol

Also secondary discussion

Do you consider tattoos biohacking?
What about more cutting edge inks like uv and glow?

I think an e ink tattoo would be pretty cool, tattoo image, apply opposite polarity magnet to make image appear or disappear

3 Likes

Absolutely not.
I think it was a great balanced and intelligent conversation.

My opinions would offend, so I stayed out of it.

I did however just split @anon7067117 payment implant posts, Not that you can derail The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ interrobang]

But I thought they were better suited to the

Again, no telling-off, just an observation

I think that would suit a Tattoo perfectly :+1:
great idea :bulb:

1 Like

Alternatively, a visable tattoo of circuitry,

With some concealed glow in the dark connections

Yeah, THAT

Phewā€¦ We were not told off :partying_face: :partying_face:

Ok! But I only know :pinching_hand:this much of tattoos.
UV ink: Skincandy on my skin lasted very well. 10years and still glowsā€¦a bit.
Crazily saturated when fresh, but the normal colour stays rather okay.

You might want to give a base layer, or an UV layer for your glow-in-dark ink. If so, I can recommend Fusion ink for white. So much pigmentsā€¦so much, you can(!) cover black ink with it. Rather long lasting, easy to work with.

Glow powderā€¦ :man_shrugging: I donā€™t know about it.
However I know who does: Stuart Sample knows about his pigments he makes and sells.
Generally speaking good quality. EDIT: very good quality
I heard he answers if you contact him.
I bought some glow powder from him, boy, that :gloves: !

I would email him about the project. He might gonna say that he doesnā€™t recommend, but he might gonna help by pointing you to the right direction.

BTW I read the topic today. Found it interesting and made me really thinkā€¦

1 Like

They are just boring old UV ink.

Speaking of circuitry, this was my first - I hate it now but itā€™s part of my story.

I have considered doing something with the power symbol, SH has a silicon implant almost perfectly sized, but Iā€™m (oddly enough) not 100% sure of silicon implants yet.

1 Like

Funny how that advertisement for Powerthreesquaredkey.com didnā€™t stand the test of time when the dotcom bubble burst in 2001 :slight_smile:

Har har har - itā€™s a secret code - if you donā€™t get it, youā€™re not supposed to.

Hey @Atilla ,
Have you ever heard of a TV show called South Park?
I think you would like itā€¦ You should check it out

Fist bump

1 Like