The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

Nothing beats this:

Or this:

Or anything Kraftwerk in fact.

Many enjoyable intoxicated hours have been spent by yours truly on those two particular teutonic pieces of artwork.

love

It seems like internationally, German 90s (and earlier) electronic stuff thatā€™s close to trash (well, obviously not Kraftwerk - but Mo-Do is pretty trashy! Though from Italyā€¦ :thinking: ) is quite popular?

Or itā€™s just the ideal music to be high to - that would explain the 90s in generalā€¦^^

edit: Ha, found one of my old favourites again - I love the aesthetic of it, and actually Keith Flint was the reason for my first ever piercing :smile:

Can definitely back that one up!!

Had the priviledge of watching their live performance in Verona! trully intoxicating experience! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah well, Mo-Do is pretty dumb, but itā€™s perfect for when youā€™re not fully in control of yourself :slight_smile:

But Kraftwerk is enjoyable even when youā€™re sober and you want to listen intently.

As for the 90s, I canā€™t say itā€™s my favorite decade, but yeah, it ranks pretty high. Thatā€™s a time period I remember fondly because I still felt there was a future to look forward to back then :slight_smile:

Totally agree! Though I do not really like all of it, I just have to respect the giant influence Kraftwerk had on all kinds of electronic music at least in Germany, and it totally qualifies as art. Might be a bit mainstream-y, but I like ā€œDas Modelā€ and ā€œRadioactivityā€ mostā€¦ :wink:

Thought about that for a momentā€¦ canā€™t say I have any favorite decade, because a lot of things have improved until now and I wouldnā€™t want to miss them, but what I like a lot about the 90s is the strange combination of the 68s-rebellion-thing (obvious in the punk subculture, but also in a lot of other aspects) with the early-60s-hippie-feeling of the techno sceneā€¦ both had some kind of revival in the 90s. And sexual freedom in general was a bit easier back then, I think - currently, itā€™s all getting so complicated againā€¦

I loved the 80ā€™s. The money was easy, the parties were wild, the music was over the top, nobody gave a shit about nothing, Of course, the easy living was a completely artificial side-effect of Reaganism, and weā€™re all paying for it even today. But I didnā€™t know that back then. Good timesā€¦

The 70ā€™s were okay, but they felt like a bittersweet version of the 60ā€™s to me. It lacked the purity of thought of the decade it superseded, and the fuck-it-who-cares quality of the decade that followed.

Okay, now you got me wonderingā€¦
I mean, I only write about the decades I have seen, and I even rule out the 80s mostly, because I was a child thenā€¦

I think you might be a bit older than I thoughtā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue:

I was a kid in the 70ā€™s, but I lived through them nonetheless. Also, I have siblings who are 10 to 15 years older than I am, and who are pretty heavy unrepenting hippies to this day. Even if I didnā€™t live through the 60ā€™s, I know entirely too much about them, more than I ever wanted to :wink:

Yeah okay - thatā€™s my problem with 60s/70s musicā€¦ I grew up with it because my mother loved it, so I am cursed with a totally improper nostalgia towards songs that were made some decades before I was born :smile:

Them songs are part of you, even if they didnā€™t come out when you were at an age to choose to listen to them yourself. Thatā€™s the magic of music: it connects you to times past.

Shit, I feel connected to WWI because my grandfather used to tell me about life in the trenches. Thatā€™s firmly old history. Stillā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s a strange thing I can relate toā€¦ I recently found old photo albums from my grandma, I never saw those pictures before, only heard the few stories she told me when I was a child. So, seeing the photos now (and obviously being older and a bit more understanding now), it was like adding pieces to a jigsaw puzzle, and I saw her in a different light. It was this ā€œoh hell, now I get it!ā€-feelingā€¦

I think it is some kind of gift if older family members share their past with you, for you can gather experiences you (luckily) never made, and so, relate to times long goneā€¦

Yep. History becomes an old thing you have to endure at school when nobody in your family or your immediate circle can tell you about it first hand.

My grandpa was German (well, technically Prussian, or Polish if you go by todayā€™s maps) and he told me a lot about what it was like fighting in the great war - and losing. I listened to his stories as a kid, thinking it was really, really boring. But it became part of my life story somehow.

Funny, it was a bit of a shock when I heard the last WWI veteran had died a few years ago, and some TV presenters said WWI had become a strictly historical fact as a result. I felt as if someone ripped part of my own history and declared it obsolete forever. Strange feeling.

Way way back when, I was in college right out of high school, and I asked a woman from South Africa to tell me a joke about myself, and I got this gem.

Q.) What do you call a person who speaks three languages?
A.) Trilingual.

Q.) What do you call a person who speaks two languages?
A.) Bilingual.

Q.) What do you call a person who speaks only one language?
A.) American.

Not only did I laugh my butt off over it, it was also probably THE most important cultural watershed moment for me as a young man. It truly helped me to see (accurately) a view point from outside my culture. AND it was ridiculously funny. :rofl:

Where I live, I could actually use some Spanish. Thereā€™s a significant population of non English speaking, native Spanish speaking people around here. My only real choice to learn it though is to either marry into a Spanish speaking family, or take a bunch of night classes. Iā€™d seriously consider either if I could find a compatible mate, or had the extra time / money for it.

2 Likes

You know where people learn English the most? Small European countries (small as in sparsely populated, not in landmass). Why? Because TV broadcasts movies in English, because itā€™s too costly to dub movies in the local lingo.

But go to France or Germany for instance - which are big countries with strong national identifies and a high population density - and movies are always dubbed. As a result, people donā€™t learn anything watching TV.

Germany is pretty staggering in that respect: youā€™d think itā€™s a country where people should speak English easily. But no: itā€™s German all the way. Which isnā€™t helped by the fact that there is a surprising number of people around the world who speak German.

One exception: Quebec. Thereā€™s a place thatā€™s nowhere on the map, yet they have French movies dubbed in Quebecois French. Just because Quebec :slight_smile:

Main problem with those stories - you just canā€™t understand them as a child.
My grandparents are all dead by now, but my husbandā€™s grandma is still alive and sometimes tells some stories of her past, and I can understand them a lot better now. Iā€™d never claim that I can really understand what those things that happened were like, but I can feel it better. And it makes me a lot more sad.
For example, my grandma told me that she lost her first child, shortly after birth, because of some illness I forgot - as a child, I thought that this must have been sad, and carried on with my life.
In the recently-found photo album, I saw a picture of a dead child, dressed all white, in a coffin, under an ocean of flowers and all thatā€¦ and it suddenly struck me how terrible this must have been for her.

So I guess history stories will always be boring for children, and if they are old enough to finally recognize what they mean, the people who told them are usually deadā€¦

That depends on your family, how close your ties are with your loved ones, a whole lot of things.

My grandpa was everything to me. When I was old enough to understand what he told me as a child, the whole enchilada clicked into place inside me and his experience kind of became mine also. He wasnā€™t there to impress me on the spot with his war stories, but he planted the seeds. And heā€™s there with me when the subject of WWI comes up one way or another.

Likewise, my grandma on my motherā€™s side lived through the blitz. I didnā€™t know that, she never said anything to anybody. Didnā€™t wanna talk about it, and God knows I asked. But I remember when I was a kid and I was staying at my grandparentsā€™, when planes flew overhead at night, she used to wake up and scream in terror. I never understood why until much, much later. Now when I read about WWII or watch documentaries about it, I donā€™t see old black and white newsreels, I remember my grandmaā€™s screams. See, itā€™s things like that that makes history a living thing for me.

Thank God for a solid, united family. It brought me so much.

2 Likes

CaRFID ended up leading to something positiveā€¦

My car has an aftermarket stereo installed, and it had factory steering wheel controls, but they were proprietary to GM radios, and didnā€™t work with aftermarket stereos.

2 years ago or so I found a Metra ASWC-1 at a garage sale. Itā€™s a universal adapter for steering wheel controls that normally retails for $60, so for the $3 it cost me at the garage sale (new in package) it was a no-brainer.

I tried installing it back then, spent days troubleshooting. It would just never recognize the controls. It tries to do an auto-detection, and I could never get it to detect anything. I had a suspicion that it was the ground used. The manual says to run it to chassis ground, and to not use the same ground connection as the radio. I tried a ton of different spots to tap into ground, all around the dash, but nothing worked.

For CaRFID, I ran a clean chassis ground directly from the fusebox, all the way through the back of the dash. While I was finishing reverting things for the moment (fixing my backup camera, dashcam, etc), I decided to try again with the ground I ran for CaRFID.

Worked first try. Held the volume up for a few seconds, and it picked it right up. Wired it to my radio, and everything worked perfectly.

I was also able to get my dashcam and everything wired directly to the accessory relay as well, so now they all get power automatically when the car is put into ACC or started. Same as I did with CaRFID, but without the additional board switching.

Goes to show that even if a project has issues, and even if you give up on it for the moment (still working on rev 2 though), it can teach you a lot that can help you in other areas.

Thought Iā€™d share, in case anyone else feels bad about a project that didnā€™t go quite right. The knowledge learned from it alone can be worth it.

4 Likes

1 Like

The perspective is killing meā€¦ :smile:
And yay, in the recommendations I found another jewel I had successfully surpressed - seems like there are lots of strange videos in the Dutch / German areaā€¦