The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

Great idea, but leave the personal stuff out.

Also, there was a subscription model that I like: Slashdot offers (or used to? I canā€™t seem to find it now, but maybe itā€™s my script blockersā€¦) to be a site supporter, and in return you get a silly star attached to your pseudo in all your posts. People like that sort of thing.

2 Likes

Yeah I totally understand thatā€¦ but I guess I mean talking more about itā€¦ not necessarily putting them on camera or like, giving up my home address or anything :wink:

2 Likes

Yep great idea but I agree with @Pilgrimsmaster and @anon3825968 personal stuff should stay personal. Iā€™d be happy to just see what is going on in the lab :slight_smile:

2 Likes

wowā€¦ I havenā€™t thought about slashdot in ā€¦ ā€¦ epochsā€¦

A star next to my name would easily be the best thing sold on the DT store.

2 Likes

I still hate the translation feature hereā€¦

I think youā€™d be better off not doing that. We kind of draw attention in our field. Gating it behind a subscription isnā€™t enough, I donā€™t think, to deter the wrong person. No, you wouldnā€™t post your address. But have you not seen what people do with sufficient motivation? Go look at how 4chan found a flagpole in a field.

Posting videos about research, etc, discussions I think would be a good idea. You know Iā€™m happy to be involved in that. We could do VR (for now) meetups and stuff, too.

1 Like

Really curious, what does one wear at these temperatures? O_o The most I have experienced is about -15C

I must agree with Pilgrim, Rosco and fraggersparks here. I think you should rethink the whole personal stuff, since there really are a lot of people who are unwell who might attempt to exploit that.
Really want you to stay safe. Of course the choice is yours, but I really donā€™t want some Kaczynski type harrasing you or sending you a nasty surprise. My uncle once received a pipe bomb, and he was in a less controversial line of work/had a lower profile (finance) [not trying to scare you here, just an anecdote] then you.

Iā€™d be all for that! :slight_smile:
Iā€™m really curious about your flex process.
It has to include a vacuum chamber, eh?

I would also suggest flexible contributions (so a min. of X$ [5 seems like a fair amount] to get access and the option to go however high you can go), and the possibility of changing/cancelling on the fly (a lot of us are in education and may come up short some months). I am really not a fan of paywalls and gated content. Also consider some weird parasocial factors that can arise.

1 Like

Look at this communityā€¦ as if it wasnā€™t normal to share every detail of ones life.

I meanā€¦ is it? The specifics tend to stay quite in the dark. And we arenā€™t so ā€œhigh value targetsā€ like Amal

I can picture me explaining the foreign concept of privacy to my children. I donā€™t like it, but privacy is dead, or at least dying.

Idkā€¦

I canā€™t imagine too bad outcomes from Amal sharing some stuff. (Not worse then anyone else)

1 Like

The trick is to dress in layers:

• 0C ā†’ -10C: shirt, jeans, barefoot if not too long on dry ground, sandals+socks if not windy, boots if windy, finger gloves, knit cap, regular coat
  • -10C ā†’ -20C: thermal underwear + shirt, thermal longjohns + jeans, boots if not windy, padded socks + boots if windy, thermal neck cover, finger gloves, knit cap, winter coat
  • -10C ā†’ -20C: thermal underwear + shirt, thermal longjohns + jeans + windstopper, padded socks + ski boots, thermal neck cover, mittens, winter coat, chapka
  • -20C ā†’ -35C: thermal underwear x 2 + shirt, thermal longjohns, winter overalls, electric socks + padded socks + ski boots, thermal neck cover, mittens, winter coat, chapka
  • < -35C: stay the fuck home or call a cab

Thatā€™s how I dress to be able to wait at the bus stop standing up without moving for 30 minutes. If itā€™s very windy, I add more layers. If I drive my car or Iā€™m out for a very short time, I stay as I am inside and you will often see me barefoot for up to 2 minutes at -15C, and 1 minutes at -20C. If I ride my bike, I stay in very thin spandex clothing even at -15C - but with ample foot protection, as thatā€™s what gets cold the fastest.

1 Like

I can already tell you now, that one wonā€™t be shown. Itā€™s considered a trade secret and not even us inside the business know.

While unfortunate, they can be a necessity given the prevalence of people willing to knock your stuff off, steal your ideas etc. I donā€™t know if this would be NDAā€™d, though.

I would bet money that itā€™s some variation of PMDS (crosslinked by addition) polymer encapsulation.
Eh, he could very well show the general part and leave out the specifics (like a ā€œhow itā€™s madeā€). The polymer encapsulation process itsself is pretty well known, but Iā€™m sure he has very special tweaks and tricks and sprecifics that make his much better and worth protecting from prying eyes :wink:

There is a cute little book called The Incredible Secret Money Machine by Don Lancaster that I like

ismm (1).pdf (10.4 MB)
p. 120

The best possible patent protection you can get is to pub.
IIsh your key secrets in a national magazine or other widely
circulated journal. Be sure to show all key details, all trade secrets,
and spell out all the disadvantages and limitations.
What does this do for you? Well,
ā€¢ It generates an immediate hundred to a thousand dollars of cash
through the article payment, putting you way ahead at the starting
gate. Your idea is already profitable.
ā€¢ It tucks the idea safely away in the public domain, preventing any-
one else from patenting it.
ā€¢ It gives you free advertising that will give you needed contacts and
ways to sell and improve your products.
ā€¢ It starts up the Not Invented Here syndrome that will set larger
granfaIloons to bad-mouthing what you did, rather than ripping the
idea off.
ā€¢ The time delay in publishing lets you automatically stay six months
to a year ahead of everybody else working with the ideas.

p. 121-122

The way around the copyright protection dilemma is to make your
product so low in cost that no one can afford to duplicate it on their
own in small quantities. A $4 to $9 technical paperback is unlikely to
get widely copied. The same stuff in a $40 hardback book is almost
certain to, particularly if itā€™s required for a university course. A $5 cas
sette software program wonā€™t get ripped off because it takes more than
$5 worth of hassle to duplicate a single copy. Charge $125, and you
are bound to have some pirating. Besides, you probably will have less
than 1/25th the number of customers at the higher price, even further
cutting into your profits. Price your printed-circuit boards or other simi-
lar things below their cost of duplication in small quantities. This is the
surest protection you can get

I think it applies given that implants seem to be somewhat of a cottage industry atm.
Keep in mind that Iā€™m no businessman and this is all just ā€œFOS(S) everythingā€ wishful thinking on my part. And talking out of my ass :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: I like the way Prusa does it - they have everything open sourced, and distinguish themselves from the competition in other ways

2 Likes

I dress in layers like rosco, except without all that thermal underwear.

Usually just jeans and 2 Hoodies with a scarf, gloves and a hat.

I use freedom units so,

40F to 20F just a Hoodia usually.

20F to -10 F what is listed above.

-10F to -30F the same as above, maybe with an extra shirt.

When the windchill is -59F , I wear a jacket on top of it all.

Bonus picture to show the ice that forms on my eyelashes when it is cold out here.

1 Like

Iā€™m a bit confused. Arenā€™t thermal underwear (the pant part) and longjohns the same thing? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I get thatā€¦ and usually, it doesnā€™t get that cold over here (though we had some days with -20Ā°C this winter), buuuutā€¦
Any idea on how not to freeze when only wearing skirts or dresses and totally not liking pantyhoses? :cold_face:

1 Like

There are a few things you learn to deal with the cold. One of them is, you wear what you need, not what looks good. Fashion and winter clothing rarely go together. Another thing that doesnā€™t go well with the cold is metal piercings. My workmate whoā€™s a walking hardware store had a rather nasty experience the other day.

The other thing you learn is that, if itā€™s cold enough, you should think about what you should wear if things go south, rather than what you can get away with. For instance, if Iā€™m out and about in town at -30C in jeans and shirt and I get too cold, I can quickly go into a bar, or ring a friendā€™s doorbell. If I go up north in Lapland and my car breaks down, and Iā€™m not dressed to deal with the cold for hours on foot, out in the boonies with no cell coverage, Iā€™m dead. Nevermind that the car has a heater when it works: Iā€™ll dress for survival anyway because thereā€™s a non-zero chance that it could stop working.