The anti🚫-derailment🚃 & thread🧵 hijacking🔫 thread🧵 ⁉

Any recommendations for a reasonably secure Linux distro with no telemetry?

I mean, I like Arch. You directly decide what packages to install, and how your system is set up. Nothing is done without your knowledge. Since it’s rolling release, you’re always using the newest package versions, with the latest fixes. They also only ship “vanilla” packages, rather than doing any modifications themselves.

The AUR is a plus, and if you handle that manually, or by reading the PKGBUILDs using an AUR helper, it’s easy to see exactly what the scripts are doing.

The wiki is fantastic too.

I’ve tried every major distro, distro-hopping for years, and Arch feels like home.

EDIT: Also, AFIAK, it does 0 telemetry by default. Even for package usage stats, you have to choose to manually install the pkgstats package. Doesn’t do it on its own.

2 Likes

Agreed here. I try to read through a thread and if I go too fast it stops me with that error message. Is there a way to globally translate a post? I mean still showing in the same way it currently does but without the hassle of clicking the translate button on every post.

I think the plugin for translation is open source… would need someone to change it… I don’t have the skills tho

Translations are rate limited to 3 per minute (Could be made configurable)

I found this^ Unfortunately I also do not have the skills to adjust the plugin accordingly. It seems the reasoning for the individual translations is to save costs which I assume is referring to non-free APIs. AFAIK google translate is free. Maybe some skilled programmer person can alter the plugin :slight_smile:

1 Like

Even though I probably do have the skills to do that, I wont try. This plugin has more problems e.g. if you quote something before writing in another language people wont be able to translate your post.

Why should every webapp implement a translation feature? It’s the job of a browser extension.

I’d argue its the job of the browser not an extension. My browser should translate text on the fly to my local language based on my computers language setting.

1 Like

Random thought occurs…
theoretically

Would being on the dehydrated side be beneficial, since it makes your skin looser?

I feel like the adverse effects it could cause might outweigh the need to loose skin :smile:

Yeah I’d agree, Chrome does that, but then it’s Google Translate by default which is also not what I want.

1 Like

I don’t mean dehydrated like a fighter trying to make weight,

But just a bit dehydrated side, “comfortable dehydration” lol

Issue then is an intensified vasovagal reaction… You do NOT want to be dehydrated and pass out because of it.

1 Like

I would say no. You want your body as strong as you can in a sense.

Oh man!!! Twitter!!! :nauseated_face:

Wait one, let me zoom an enhance @NoUsersLefft preview.

Screenshot_20210312-060201_Chrome

Haha, Yusssss, success!, Fuck you Twatter, YOU are MY little bitch

2 Likes

Hmmm wouldn’t
tasklist
taskkill /PID [PID] /F
in cmd work for this?
I know it should work with Task manager out-of-the-box but this is still an ok workaround :yum:
They should add a “force end” flag

2 Likes

Sorry I moved US @anon7067117 because I started a derail in a thread that should be easy to keep clean.
My bad, not yours :+1:t3:

1 Like

If you right click on the process, and click show in details on the menu, you should be able to force close the process tree from there

Alternatively you can sidestep the task manager entirely by using a 3rd party program like SuperF4, basically it just loads the gun that microsoft gives Alt+F4 so it can actually murder a program in cold blood instead of asking politely

1 Like

Anyone know if there is a smaller gauge needle that works with the new flex antenna?

Nvm numbers and math, looks like original

I’m struggling to find that bevel
Change video any help?