The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

New cars are one huge data recording and tracking device.
I like my autos to be dumbā€¦ my 87 E-150 doesnā€™t ask or talk.

I cannot wait to get in my EV, plug in a destination, and have a relaxing ride to work as my car drives me.

When I ride in my cousins Tesla, and he uses drive assistance, it is pretty great. Crazy feeling.

No thanks. They are trying to take away all your quiet time. Not good.
Driving isnā€™t for AIā€¦ I took half a century to get spun up proper. Machines fail unpredictably; the more complex, the more unpredictable they get.
Donā€™t like fly by wire much eitherā€¦

I wouldnā€™t try to nap on the way. Just enjoy the time. It really is a different experience when you are in California traffic.

Not sure who ā€œtheyā€ are but if ā€œtheyā€ are trying to take away your quite timeā€¦ I am not sure how reducing the work required to ā€œdriveā€ would help ā€œthemā€.

It seems like a perfect fit for AI. Driving is a system governed by detailed rules that benifits from reaction time, awareness and at its root physics. What do you deem ā€œfor AIā€.

I think this is kinda the point. Driving safely requires an immense amount of training. Iā€™d trust a computer over my sister in a few years :sweat_smile:.

Do they really? Compared to humans? Iā€™d be interested in statistics on how ā€œpredictableā€ machine vs human fail. Gut feel would be a machine is more predictable purely based on watching users interact with a new system for the first time :sweat_smile:

But the predictability of the fail is hardly relevant. What matters is overall failure rate and severity.

In short, eventually if not already, computers/machines will have a significantly better safety record than humans, especially if the significant majority of cars become self driving (as predicting humans is is afaik the hardest part)

2 Likes

We took a slightly different approach about 8 years ago in New Zealand :new_zealand:

2 Likes

I want to summon my car to me. Have it come get me from the airport or drop me off and go back to my garage. No need to bug someone for one way trips.

Maybe drop the kids off at soccer then when they text it comes and gets them.

3 Likes

HAHA this is awesome. Ahhā€¦ reminds me of your way of policing, too :rofl:

haha, pretty much

The cops quote ā€œSafer communities togetherā€ that is the slogan on the side of the police cars
NZ equivalent of the USAs ā€œTo serve and protectā€
and Iā€™m guessing here, Canadas, ā€œBe nice to others Okay?!ā€

I wonder if this is what the guy saw before trying to teach his dogā€¦ Do you guys remember this a few months ago?

1 Like

Tell me all that again in 30 years.
I answer these segment.
A hundred or so years ago if you were a farmer you would drive your wagon to town. Might take an hour or more of valuble daylight.
It wasnā€™t wasted time though. It forced you to do a task where you could daydream and solve problems; quiet time.
How much true quiet time do you have in a day or week? Playing with the Adriod or computer isnā€™t quiet timeā€¦ walking without phone & buds is.
Same with driving on an open stretch of road. I avoid living in cities for this very reason.
I like driving and my quiet timeā€¦ and prefer a manual trans.

People work more today then 60 years ago. My mother never had to work a job like most mums of that era.
Now both parents work full time many times just to make ends meet.
Computers are the new way the rich steal from the working classā€¦ if you havenā€™t noticed.
Your life is not better now then it would have been in the 50ā€™s, in many ways.
On demand everything, always being ā€œavailableā€ is not a blessing, itā€™s a curse.
You have no quiet time; patience and privacy is how long it takes to push a button.
All this doesnā€™t replace common sense, make you safer or even increase the quality of life.
Yes, wellā€¦ I remember.

3 Likes

Or, if you donā€™t want to spend time training the dog, Garage 54 has the solution:

Driving isnā€™t a great time to be daydreamingā€¦ youā€™re driving. A weapon. Amongst weapons. Personally I canā€™t wait for self driving cars. So many people just canā€™t do it wellā€¦ they rely on the reaction time and skills of everyone around them to stay out of accidents.

If my car could drive me around, Iā€™d definitely use that time for real actual creative thought. Looking down at my phone or computer would give be motion stickers anyway, so it would be a great use of time to just sit around and think.

1 Like

I think the era of all self driving cars would change the types of vehicles we want too. If Iā€™m not driving, do you think I am willing to pay extra for that hot hatch or muscle car? Nope. Iā€™m opting for the biggest, comfiest thing I can get with recliners and TVs. Return of the conversion van, just maybe a smaller scale one. If Iā€™m not driving, I am going to double spend that time to get more free time later. Iā€™ll eat my breakfast while it drives. Iā€™ll get changed or watch news while it drives. All of this will be time I was going to spend at home before or after my drive that I can now do with as I please.

I just need a system that puts my bed on rails and that slides from bedroom to closed cabin of the car (and back again). Make my car a box with blackened windows. When I arrive, it tilts the bed upright and I walk out.

You can be in an alert state and drive down a straight stretch of road whilst thinking. Thatā€™s not something a beginner driver can do though. Without hard time at the wheel you will never achieve the proficiency level of expert where your brain instinctively does complex tasks without effort. It takes real world knowledge gained by learning, experience, self awareness and discipline.

You know how many aircraft accidents are caused by autopilots?
-You- need to -fly- the plane.
You learn by doing and by repetition, or you donā€™t.
Death is the only reward for failure.

The illusion of self driving is just that. You canā€™t afford to take your eyes off the road for more then a split second. Too many complex variables.
No AI can duplicate the human brainā€™s complex behavior or exceed the visual cortexā€™s processing abilities.
You think that trash will be driving race cars?
Why isnā€™t this technology there?
That is one of the prime test beds for automotive innovationā€¦
How about autonomous fighter aircraft? Itā€™s not there because it canā€™t duplicate what a skilled human can.
You may well rue the day if and when it canā€¦ you will relegated into supporting AI rather than playing.
Personally I like playing pokerā€¦

Add to all that many of disciplines in life are an art not a pure science. Medicine is one. So is metallurgy.
AIs can learn but can they learn wisdom, creativity? They will never exceed the human brainā€™s capacity for creativity. We can pull ideas out of thin air. The mind is far more complex than you give it credit.

Overall, the only reason driving is so complex is other humans are constantly making dumb moves all around you, all the time. Given an environment without dangerous humans, computers can do alright. Start making driver licensing actually difficult to getā€¦ test oftenā€¦ start removing questionable people from behind the wheelā€¦ I believe actual safe drivers will be able to co-exist on roads with self driving cars just fine. My mother is terrified that self-driving cars will mean that laws will change and people will start losing their licensesā€¦ to which I reminded her that she spent years trying to get my grandfather to give up his license and stop drivingā€¦ he was an absolute danger to everyone, including himselfā€¦ and he hated the idea of losing his licenseā€¦ just as she does nowā€¦ but in all honesty, people in general are terrible driversā€¦ and it only gets worse with age. I mean, isnā€™t there even data now that shows accident rates per million miles driven are significantly lower for self-driving vehicles than human piloted vehicles?

i meanā€¦ 2017ā€¦

maybe not yet, but given this was the state of the art in 2017, and the fact you can redesign the vehicle now without concern for the pilotā€¦ maybe some new capabilities will emerge that rule out humans entirely. For example, it can pull G forces that humans simply canā€™t withstand. What design changes might we explore in vehicles that donā€™t need to be designed around human limitation?

Criticizing AI at this stage is like talking shit about a 16 year old kid with a learnerā€™s permitā€¦ yeah it sucks right nowā€¦ thatā€™s why we put it in an empty sky or let it tootle around highways with relatively predictable variables. Some people misuse itā€¦ take it on city streetsā€¦ get into troubleā€¦ just like pushing a kid behind the wheel only a few hours to go drag racingā€¦ but it will improveā€¦ and I am patiently waiting.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s already one form of transportation that drives you around, that you can use today. Itā€™s called public transportation. Not US-style - which is to driving what dining at the soup kitchen is to going to the restaurant - but European-style: safe, clean, fast, on time and affordable. No need to waste your hard-earned cash on a self-driving car you have to buy, charge, maintain, insure and park.