The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

that only makes the sentence that more efficient!! :rofl:

similar to looking at your naked wrist before stating: ā€œSorry, Iā€™m getting late now. byeā€

1 Like

@JennyMcLane has one

1 Like

Does anyone remember when one of the forum members took a really detailed picture of the back of the chip in their contact interface credit card? The card was transparent and you could see all the gold wire bonds. If you find it, let me know, Iā€™m having no luck.

That?

2 Likes

I had a good lol when I saw this

Any bets on what kind of magnet implant he has?

1 Like

I see no incision scar and what looks like possibly an xSeries type scar so honestly Iā€™m betting xG3 or V2
(Nvm I see it now)

really? I see nothing but a horrendous scar

2021-06-16-SxVQ5JO9Xd

1 Like

This is about as off-topic as it gets on this forum, but I need some advice, and given the wide geographic spread on this forum, thought some people might be able to help.

Amtrak has a deal right now for $300 for 10 segments of travel in the US within a month. Thatā€™s a really good deal, given that I can get nearly anywhere in the country in ~2-3 segments thanks to living 1 segment from Chicago. I purchased the pass tonight, and I plan on leaving next week or so.

Iā€™ve never seen most of the country (havenā€™t been further west than Missouri in my entire life), so I plan in staying in youth hostels while going across most of the west coast. I havenā€™t traveled much alone either, so this is going to be quite an experience.

Hereā€™s where the advice comes in: So far I plan on hitting up Chicago (first connection for any route from Indy), LA, San Francisco, Portland, and Seattle. For those that live in these cities (Iā€™m looking at you amal :wink:), any good recommendations for attractions to visit? Museums of all types, niche stores, tourist traps, monuments, etc. The weirder and more obscure the better.

Also open for suggestions for another stop near any of the others (thinking about adding one in Flagstaff, to go see the Grand Canyon). It looks like Iā€™ll have an excess of segments, so anywhere in the southwest or west coast is an option, for the most part.

I figure given the shared interests on this forum, I might be able to get some more interesting recommendations than I could find on sites like TripAdvisor.

3 Likes

You could stick a piece of gum to The Gum Wall in Seattle as well as walk around Pike Place Market! (You might see some flying fish!)

3 Likes

Redwood forests?
A.K.A the Moon of Endor.

I donā€™t know personally, cause Iā€™m stuck in the middle-ish of the continent.

1 Like

I was planning on that actually! Pike place is one of the only places I had down as a for-sure visit in Seattle, it looks really neat from everything Iā€™ve seenā€¦

1 Like

As far as I remember the redwoods in California are a total depression trip. They are about 20 ft deep alongside the road, but you can see very easily that beyond that itā€™s all clear cut. Iā€™ve driven down the 101 highway from Washington to California many times and it always bums me out driving through these decimated forests.

We moved to the San Francisco Bay Area a few years ago. Iā€™d recommend seeing Paxton Gate and the pirate store next door. Those are in the Mission district, if you wander around there thereā€™s a lot of great street art too. If you head up to Pier 39 youā€™ll find more touristy stuff like shops, restaurants, etc. Cool things to see are Alcatraz, the Aquarium of the Bay, wild sea lions, and MusĆ©e MĆ©chanique. If youā€™re willing to venture farther outside of SF you can head to San Jose and visit the Winchester house, drive along Rt. 1 on the coast, head up to Muir Woods and see the redwoods.

And if youā€™d like to grab drinks or something Iā€™d be down for that.

2 Likes

Do your segments have to be contiguous? Like, could you train into a city and then go on a road trip and then train to another city?

Yeah, the 101ā€™s not the best place to see them. There are still really great redwoods around here.

Paxton Gate looks just like what I was hoping for :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Looks adequately weird haha

Thanks for all of the recommendations, Iā€™ll definitely check them out! I completely forgot about Alcatraz, hopefully tours arenā€™t super expensive and/or filled up.

Man, I hadnā€™t heard anyone mention the Winchester house in a long time. It was always a dream of mine as a young kid to see it in-person. If I can find a good way to get there (not sure of Amtrak along that are), Iā€™ll definitely check that out too.

Sadly Iā€™m roughly 6 months too young to drink drink (thanks USAā€¦), but if youā€™re down to grab coffee or something (lunch maybe), thatā€™d be cool :smiley:

1 Like

Nope, segments donā€™t have to be continuous at all. A segment is just defined as staying on one train for any length of time, so Chicago->Sacramento is a single segment, since thereā€™s a train that runs directly. Any transfer adds another segment.

I could even in-theory use the segments on another trip entirely, if within the 30 days. The 30 days doesnā€™t start until my first departure.

Sadly, since Iā€™m 20, not a lot of places are willing to rent me a car (apparently Hertz does though, so thereā€™s some options left there).

You can take the Caltrain and an Uber. The Winchester house is about a 10 minute drive from the nearest Caltrain station. If you want to see Alcatraz you should look into tickets soon. They tend to sell out early.

Coffee or lunch would be great! Just let me know what your schedule is.

1 Like

Astoria in Oregon is where goonies was done and there is a fantastic sausage place there :slight_smile:

Also while in Seattle, take a trip to everett and hit up BobaKahn toy store - tell em Mike opitz sent ya! (No discounts but they will think you are super cool)

1 Like

That place smells so minty and nice if you donā€™t think at all about why :slight_smile: