The antiđŸš«-derailment🚃 & threadđŸ§” hijackingđŸ”« threadđŸ§” ⁉

Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t out to get you

2 Likes

You’re only paranoid if they AREN’T out to get you

1 Like

I hate being in homes with Alexa or Alexa style products. i can’t believe they convinced people to bug their own homes.

Yet you probably visit them with a cellphone in your pocket - which is exactly the same thing. Ever thought of that?

ok so
 open source astro? maybe gut astro and replace with a pi? maybe hack it and load your own shit on?

1 Like

Unlikely. They probably locked down the hardware tighter than a nun’s ass on Good Friday so that it only runs signed software and it’s impossible to repurpose. Remember: they make money off of the data the device collects, not the device itself. They’ll go out of their way to make sure you can’t use it for anything else.

1 Like

sure, but i can’t see the economy of securing the motor controllers, cameras, and sensors with some sort of cryptography
 i mean tear out the main board and replace with a pi and support electronics to connect up all that shit and give it a new brain

1 Like

yeah but my phone isn’t solely a data collection device for on of the wealthiest men on the planet.

They don’t have to. They just have to make it inconvenient enough that it’s not worth the hassle. If you have to gut it right down to the chassis and build stepper motor controllers and replace the mainboard and everything just to reuse the moving bits and the case, it’s not worth it.

So your main beef isn’t that you’re being spied on, it’s who profits from it, is that it? Interesting take :slight_smile:

Then you’re gonna hate this: your phone is making billions for a company that don’t pay their fair share of taxes, a lot of super-wealthy execs and shareholders of which probably have mansions in the tax havens they stash their money in, and yachts and private jets to get there in style. Note that I didn’t specify which brand of phone.

I more deal with the fact that it’s basically impossible to do more that just survive in the modern world without a smart phone.
But I can try and keep some info from Bezos specifically.

You can try and deny as much of your data from all of them big data companies too. That’s what I do. But yes, you’re correct, it makes modern life rather difficult, and it takes a stringent commitment to it - which is exactly what they want.

1 Like

And I unfortunately think it’s going to get much worse before it gets better.
Also I need to pull the trigger and get off facebook and instagram.

i dunno
 it seems to me that things like moving parts and nice injection molded case with beer cozy and a nice display and telescoping camera wand thingy are the hard bits for most hackers and tinkerers
 whereas plopping in a pi and doing some electronics tinkering and some software magic is more manageable.

1 Like

I use Alexa in my home, I honestly feel sorry for anyone going through the data they collect, all they will hear in my house is Star Trek re-runs and my wife and I discussing what we want for dinner. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: if someone wants to go through the trouble of trying to profit from that then they have my blessing.

I’m just a nobody anyway

2 Likes

Personal data harvested from nobodies is now a more lucrative business than oil.
And they can get so precise in what they can glean from your info that a few years ago target knew someone’s teenage daughter was pregnant before the father did. And that was in 2012.
The Incredible Story of How Target Exposed a Teen Girl’s Pregnancy (businessinsider.com)

it gets really odd when someone using the same internet access starts googling things, then other people using that same public IP start seeing ads for that in their feeds and what-not.

trying to check your facebook using local library wifi gets some very interesting ads

1 Like

If you can’t beat 'em, join 'em

don’t let alexa listen in on you, let us listen in on you!

2 Likes

Are the daring us to start a dystopia thread?

3 Likes