The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

So do you have your parts yet?

Schrodingerā€™s parts, I both have them and donā€™t have themā€¦

2 Likes

I know, being an EE right now isnā€™t funā€¦ :cry:

2 Likes

Off topicā€¦

Anybody know any good tricks to color fill sunken letters/numbers/elements in a 3D print?

Print is white, and I want black letters
They are about 1/16ā€ of an inch deep and wide

I would settle for uniform color and clean appearance but I think I like the idea of it being filled and having a smooth water like surface
-like an epoxy resin pour, but thatā€™s a colossal pain for this since there are 10 sides that need to be color filled, and would need to mix resin 10 times

Iā€™ve tried using a syringe and a blunt tip to FILL the letters with

Matte acrylic paintā€¦ dries like shit

Stain gloss acrylic paintā€¦ this has been the closest and best so far but the problem is it clumps where the walls are closer and doesnā€™t in other areas which ruins the effect

Enamel paints were so thin the layer lines wicked the paint out of the pockets and all around the part

dripping molten crayon wax
-smears into layer lines and is in salvagable

Tried mixing black paint / ink into water effect/gloss accentā€¦ this almost works but still reduces a lot during the drying leaving clumps

Puffy paintā€¦ almost workableā€¦ but still clings to some crevices and not others

Thinned puffy paintā€¦ apparently paint can curdle

Black mini wash, like it didnā€™t even happen

ā€œBlackā€ rtv, color is pretty off and itā€™s a smidge to thick to settle into a flat surfaceā€¦ and I canā€™t seem to thin it with anything

CraftUv cure black resin, from the store itā€™s BARELY even smokeā€¦ with only 1/8ā€ depth itā€™s just clear not even smoke

I tried adding some ink to this, and it colored it nicely but now it wonā€™t cure because opaqueā€¦ canā€™t have your cake and eat it too

(I might try some 3D printing black uv resinā€¦ itā€™s opaque and seems to cure obviously? Maybe just not with any thickness)

I had a couple of ideas, but as I read, you already tested / ruled them out; except for my first question that I had, but I made an obvious assumptionā€¦

You clearly donā€™t have a dual extruder printer :interrobang:

Would it be worth your time, money and effort to outsource it to somebody / company that does have a dual extruder

what about melting some hot glue and a clean up with scalpel or sandpaper afterwards?

Is the design able to change from deboss to emboss and have the letters/numbers/elements protrude?

This is the basic idea

SLS printing resin is amazing stuff, Iā€™d recommend it. Iā€™ve used it for all kinds of things. It cures incredibly quickly with a proper light (which makes sense, given that SLS printers use exposure times of a few seconds generally). Iā€™ve actually used it to fix plastic clips before, by putting some on a toothpick, dabbing it, then hitting it with the flashlight, over and over. Slowly building layer by layer.

The black one I have does indeed cure completely jet black, and it cures pretty shiny when cured manually. I use the Inland resin, itā€™s cheap and easily available. I buy it for my SLS printer obviously, but itā€™s great to have some on hand for stuff like this.

Regarding thickness, a fairly thin layer would likely result in either a somewhat smokey finish in my experience, or potentially full black. Even when thin, itā€™s decently dark.

1 Like

im barefeeted most of the time but some stores throw me out and forbid me to enter again until i get shoesā€¦

for driving i always have a pair of emergency shoes next to me if the cops pull me out. driving without shoes can be expensiveā€¦

@anon3825968 how you handle it in Winter?

if i just have go out for some minutes i do it without shoes but if i have to walk for longer i wear shoesā€¦

:open_mouth:

whatcha-talking-about-w-illis-what-are-you-talking-about

What a silly ruleā€¦
come on Germany :de: I expect better from youā€¦

Iā€™m pretty sure Spain also has the same law.

I also spend quite a bit of time shoeless (but far from a barefooter) and I prefer to drive shoeless.

Iā€™m obviously the odd one out hereā€¦ I tend to either wear big heavy boots, or very thin soled shoes (Vibram Furoshiki, Vibram Five fingers, Water shoes (they donā€™t last nearly as long) or a pair of custom flip flops with soles made out of bicycle inner tubes.

In Germany? Really? I expected better of them.

Iā€™ve been to Germany many times with bare feet and nobody said nothing to me. Although perhaps it was the stupid foreigner effect, seeing as though I canā€™t speak any German if my life depended on it.

Well, just tell those stores youā€™ll be spending you hard earned someplace else and too bad for em.

I donā€™t think itā€™s illegal. In all the countries Iā€™ve lived in, there is nothing in the book against driving barefoot. The police think there is, but the few times I contested a fine they gave me, it was overturned. Then again, Germany may be different. But if I was you Iā€™d check because I very much doubt there is a shod-driving mandate.

Even if you have to go to court over this, I bet itā€™d very easy to prove that youā€™re in fact a more competent driver with the shoes than without, being that your motor skills are much finer to work the pedal. The only case I can think of that might justify shoes is if you have to change a wheel on the roadside and you drop the wheel on your foot or something. In which case, okay, just put the shoes on before stepping out of the car.

For me itā€™s a matter of how long you can stay outside. My current limit to stay outside indefinitely is 7C (it used to be lower, but I think my circulation isnā€™t exactly what it used to be 20 years ago :slight_smile: ). That means I can go out safely all day long at or above that temperature. Below that, depending on what I do, itā€™s just a matter of time:

4C > 7C: I can stay out 2 or 3 hours, then I need to warm up
0C-> 4C: maybe 30 minutes to 1 hour
-5C > 0C: 10 minutes tops
-10C > -5C: 3/4 minutes
-20C > -10C: 1/2 minutes
-30C > -20C: 30 seconds

Thatā€™s in dry weather. Shift all the temperatures up 5C in wet weather.

So depending on what I do or what might happen, I may or may not bother putting shoes on, and I may or may not bother bringing emergency boots with me.

Here for instance, check out this video:

Itā€™s minus-something (not terribly cold) and Iā€™m going to work by car, so I can spend a few minutes outside barefoot in the snow clearing the windshield before coming back inside the car, no problem. But I will bring a pair of boots with me, because if the car breaks down on the road, then Iā€™m suddenly in deep trouble very quickly.

2 Likes

Theoretically it is allowed. But practically theyā€™ll just make you pay if you have an accident :slight_smile:

From what I read if you can prove that wearing shoes is so abnormal to you, that youā€™re safer in the car without them, you should be fine.

2 Likes

If itā€™s allowed itā€™s not forbidden. The insurance company can say what they want, the onus is on them to prove that your driving without shoes was the cause of the accident - or made it worse. Good luck with that. And again, if they want to discuss it before a judge, Iā€™m more than willing.

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s more about insurances hereā€¦ they all say you have to wear ā€œproperā€ footwear while driving, to avoid stupid ideas like driving with high heels or flip flops (both might actually be dangerous).
I had the choice once to drive either barefooted or with plateau heels, and I quickly decided to go without shoes. Worked fine, and I was surprised by the amount of control I had (though it surely felt different).

Not really - if an accident happens, and something was unusual - not wearing shoes, wearing colored contact lenses, wearing unusual shoes, using or not using your phone, having an animal in the car etc. etc. - they just refuse to pay. Or they reduce the amount massively. They donā€™t have to prove anything, they just say ā€œbut hey, he didnā€™t wear any shoes!ā€, and thatā€™s it.

1 Like

Sue them. Iā€™m not normally a litigious person, but I have gone after insurance companies and I will again. The problem is, they always find all kinds of excuses to default on the payouts, and nobody stands up to them. But the bastards never have any trouble collecting the premiums.

Unless itā€™s written in black and white in the contract that they wonā€™t cover you if you drive without shoes, or any of the terms can be construed as a requirement to wear shoes while driving, they have to pay up, and I will make them in court. I pay an attorney for that sort of thing.

Hmmmā€¦ I hope to never have a car accident at all, and I wear my shoes while driving (since Iā€™m not a true barefooter but just wear thin-soled shoes :wink: ), but if it would ever happen, Iā€™d surely check my contracts very well.
Iā€™m currently just too lazy to do it, but there might actually be some passage that states you have to wear shoes or ā€œproperā€ footwearā€¦ I mean, if Germany is famous for something, itā€™s complicated contractsā€¦ :expressionless:

Ummm, I hate to tell you, but there are other things Germany is famous for

oktoberfest-beer

1 Like

Yeah, I know - Beer, Lederhosen, Schnitzel and Hitler. In about that sequence :stuck_out_tongue:
Seems like Iā€™m just no proper German - I donā€™t eat meat, I donā€™t drink, I really hate ā€œtraditionalā€ bavarian clothes and Iā€™m definitely no fan of idiots with tiny mustaches.

1 Like

charlie-wow

4 Likes