The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

halfway done Tattoo

3 Likes

I see your one legged stool and raise you with ā€œonly cops should have gunsā€

3 Likes

That Tatt even looks good half way done
:crab: :japanese_goblin:

1 Like

I was in bed the day after my second shot of Moderna. Afterwards tho, Iā€™ve been healthier than ever. It was so much better than what the virus can do. Iā€™ve already lost 2 people that I know in the last couple of months to Covid. I got my third shot of Moderna scheduled already for a couple of weeks from now.

I tapped out. Thatā€™s 4 hours of work, and I was so uncomfortable. I could have laid uncomfortable or had the tattoo uncomfortable.

Both beat me up

ā€œNoraā€™s Crabā€

1 Like

Iā€™ve just spent 2 hours setting up an ACR122U on a machine I still had to log into with a password. Normally setting everything up takes me 10 minutes tops - Iā€™ve done it so many time.

Butā€¦ no matter what I did, I couldnā€™t get no read. Like, the LED stayed red. The thing itself wouldnā€™t read.

I tried another readerā€¦
I tried to tweak the CCID conf file (whaaa???.. never had to do that beforeā€¦)
I recompiled the kernel with the PN533 module disabled. Normally rmmodā€™ing it is enough, but who knowsā€¦
I went get the latest and greatest pcscd daemon and rebuilt it from scratchā€¦
I looked around everywhere for a fixā€¦

No go.

Then a friend of mine came around and asked what I looked so pissed of over. I grabbed the ACR122U, shook it in the air and told him ā€œIā€™m trying to get THIS turd to play ball, but no matter what I do, it wonā€™t read. Lookā€¦ā€ I put the reader on my hand andā€¦ beep

And then it hit me: ohā€¦ metal table:(

I want my two hours backā€¦

6 Likes

If only I could get the years of my life that have been wasted by abusive beurocrats backā€¦

Lost time is one of those things that hurt a lot.

Could get a ferrite polymer pad to set it on :slight_smile:

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/fair-rite-products-corp/38M6010AA1212/8594203

Or ideally cut it to size and put it inside the case.

Anyone here good with spray paint?
Iā€™m historically pretty shit at it, and trying to finish up a print nicely for once

Used the sandable filler primer,
Fucked up and went heavy for 3-4 layers
With half hour in between layers

Sanded, but itā€™s still a bit softā€¦ but for once itā€™s not tacky like it usually is for me

Beginning to worry the heavy layers wonā€™t dry because they have no air

Would a dehydrator oven help?

I taped it to a block of Post-it notes. Admittedly, itā€™s more ghetto :slight_smile:

Not sure thereā€™s enough room in there. We have rolls of ferrite rubber strip at work, and itā€™s like 2 mm thick.

Is it specifically meant for metal shielding of magnetic coils?

The pad that Amal linked to is 0.13mm thick. Perhaps you can find something similar locally.

No. Iā€™m not sure what itā€™s for. I saw the rolls in the warehouse the other day and thought they might come in handy some day.

Yeah maybe Iā€™ll play around with that stuff. But in the meantime, the block of Post-it notes works well at zero expense :slight_smile:

That ACR122U is yet another one of those readers I pepper my environment with to avoid typing passwords one someone elseā€™s computer. It has my name on it, itā€™s set there temporarily, and Iā€™ll remove it when Iā€™m done messing around with that particular computer (which isnā€™t mine).

I find it convenient to spend a few minutes installing an NFC reader where I know Iā€™ll be spending time logging in and out for a few days. When Iā€™m done, the reader goes back to the pool of loaners. I must have 10-12 such readers at various places. Crucially this one will stay there for a couple weeks, so Iā€™m not sure I want to spend the time modifying to work on metal surfaces.

The material is specifically made to ā€œredirectā€ magnetic fields so it kinda needs to be manufactured for that specific purposeā€¦ as far as I understand it.

Considering spinning an R&D lab off of dangerous things to exclusively explore new product developmentā€¦ thinking about

Free-Guy-Art-Edition-_-_Copy

HAHAHAHAHA

7 Likes

Yeah maybe Iā€™ll get a sheet to try it out. Just to see how it affects performances if nothing else. Who knows, it might make the reader even better.

2 Likes

Wellā€¦
You already have your AI engine.
Screenshot 2021-10-24 at 20-06-27 The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰ - Lounge - Dangerous Things Forum

4 Likes

Interesting

1 Like

That just reminds me of the first line of one of my favourite books, The Crow Road by Iain Banks.

It was the day my grandmother exploded.

Basically the biggest mistake people make is going too slow and making super thick layers that donā€™t dry very fast. The trick is to go at a good steady pace, and practice oversprayā€¦ so start spraying before the stream contacts the target, sweep over the area, and spray past the endā€¦ then stop spraying. This leaves a consistent layer without any variation of speed over the entire length of the sweep. Keep your sweeps well spaced from each other with minimal overlap until you get full coverage. Then if you need more coats start again and do a second set of sweepsā€¦ the first sweep of the first layer should have had time to dry. Only go 2 layers per session. Give it good drying timeā€¦ heat is your friend.