The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

I have read well-documented studies showing that DST only ever saved at most 3% of energy expenditure in places where it was most likely to have a positive effect, in times where labor shift patterns and energy costs made it an economically viable proposition. Nowadays, it mostly doesnā€™t make any sense anywhere, and if it did, it certainly makes no sense in Finland.

1 Like

I am guessing I am in the minority, but I am actually a fan of daylight savings in summer.

2 Likes

Daylight Savings time is best time.

I think most of us can agree the time switch is incredibly dumb, but Daylight Savings should win out over standard time, because who the hell wants or needs the sun to come up at like 5:30 am?

All the people who die in car crashes every year from losing an hour of sleep

3 Likes

I think you misunderstood what Iā€™m saying.

The time switch is the dumb part, which causes the hour of sleep problem. We should just never switch back from Daylight Savings to Standard Time. Standard time should die off and it should be Daylight Savings Time forever, so the sun is up at times that actually make sense for society in the modern world.

2 Likes

I live in the USA Central Time Zone.
During winter, itā€™s Standard Time, or GMT-6.
During the summer itā€™s Daylight Savings time, or GMT-5.

I, like @Dean, would much prefer (Daylight Savings Time) GMT-5 year round.

1 Like

The problem with remaining in ā€œsummer timeā€ all year long is much more obvious when you are further north. In winter when I was a wee wean I had to get up in the dark to walk to school. If we had been on summertime in winter I would have been getting up even earlier before sunrise.

For example in Edinburgh (Scotland) on the 21st of December (Winter Solstice) sunrise is at 8:42 AM. If we were on summertime it would have been 9:42 AM. Sunset is at 3:40 PM that day.

Go further North to Aberdeen and those times are 8:46 AM and 3:27 PM.

2 Likes

This exactly

I donā€™t see the point in using one or the other since which numbers correlate to the sun coming up changes each day. Sidereal and Solar time vary wildly anyways depending on what part of this crusty balloon of magma weā€™re riding on. The numbers on the clock are arbitrary which is why I have said previously that we should do away with timezones as well. It is a pipe-dream I know but, the least I can hope for is to stop switching between two different time standards that are completely arbitrary anyways.

Does anyone know if this will have the 8 years expiration ?

1 Like

Only person I know with a pure wrist is @Satur9

I highly doubt it

My pure wrist was actually sub 3 years, if they are somehow partnering with pure wrist

1 Like

Any issue if I make a specific
ā€œWhat are you making / 3D printing?ā€ Thread?

Itā€™s not rfid per se, but Iā€™m definitely getting more in the swing of building stuff I have no idea what Iā€™m doingā€¦ which is kinda funā€¦ and I know others do the same

1 Like

Cases and parts for external objects like readers are always needed 3d printing is useful for that. I would consider this an ancillary topic, but what do I know.

My purewrist was also sub 3 years. 27 months I believe

I wonder if pure wrist is able to change their expiration dateā€¦

Thatā€™s a far reach that we would ever get it, but I simply wonder if thatā€™s under pure wrists ability

Just throw it in the #lounge

Just got a reply from walletmor and the expiration date is 3 years :thinking:

Right, but assuming itā€™s the same setup as the European zoneā€¦

Purewrist is likely not involved itā€™s just standard purewrists being bought by walletmor, converted by dt and being installed and activated by the customer

In a perfect world I wonder if purewrist has enough control of their cards to issue a longer expiration date like the European Icard

Thereā€™s next to no way to be able to convince purewrist to do so, short of some kind of business like walletmor working something out with them

Purewrist would likely not be motivated enough to issue anything special on an individual levelā€¦ assuming they couldā€¦ which is what I wonder

Or is it locked down by MasterCard Visa somehow

I mean it says to set up your account in the pure wrist app, so I imagine its literally just a purewrist conversion sold through walletmor. That means it will have all the same monthly fees, expiration date, etcā€¦