The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

Close

images (33)

I travel (used to travel) alot, and especially around Asia, my frequent footwear is ā€œJandalsā€
These occlupanids provide a perfect yet temporary repair, just long enough time until I can buy another pair

5 Likes

Now that is quite brilliant! Unfortunately my choice of flip-flops donā€™t have the straps go all the way through, as this could have been very handy a number of times

1 Like

I canā€™t take credit, its just something Iā€™ve seen, and thought the same as you.
The last place I travelled overseas before Covid was Japan, and I used that ā€œhackā€ there.
Very thankful to have one with me, even though I donā€™t mind bare footing :footprints: , there are some countries you wouldnā€™t want to, and in Japan, I donā€™t think they would appreciate a shoeless ā€œgaijinā€ walking around outside, then wanting to go inside a building with dirty feet.
Simply not the done thing in a country strong on etiquette and customs.

2 Likes

Not to get political but I love a good Admordorsum aotearoa

2 Likes

General tinkering

I was going to pull the trigger on the gimdow wireless deadbolt add on thing, as Iā€™ve got some Amazon gift cards to burn

Aparently itā€™s no longer availableā€¦ except maybe on AliExpress (yikes)

I found this thing poking around, itā€™s significantly cheaper, itā€™s factory unlock method is garbageā€¦ but it would be easy to right up an Xac or something to the remote, and boom rfid deadbolt that doesnā€™t require lock change
(Apartment, not allowed / maybe allowed but a decent amount of work)

INSTALOCK Keyless Remote Entry, Installs in Seconds, No Lock to Change, Includes 2 preprogramed Key Fob remotes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0821M1YJ9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_44PX9W28EZTDF2PTK0Q2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Nice find, and good idea.

A pity the fobs donā€™t have a single lock/unlock toggle button.

One of those latching / flip flop relays?

Now Iā€™m considering the option to just rekey to my existing key,

All apt management should give a shit about is whether or not they can open the door with their key in an emergency

Oh hell, how could I miss that?
Happy Birthday Rosco, wish you all the best, have a good start into the new year and into another year of your life as well! Hope everything is going fine-ish for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for that, I also filled it out.
I initially said no payment necessary, but then I changed my mind, and went back and changed it, (you can select ā€œbackā€ without losing your progress) so if I do get paid, I will donate that to Amal to buy ā€œSTUFFā€ for his laboratory or testing etc.
itā€™s only Ā£10, but for 10mins, thatā€™s better than a kick in the nuts

Every year, December brings the trifecta of utter human misery to me: Christmas, followed by New Yearā€™s Eve, and culminating with my birthday - the latter of which, according to my father, didnā€™t need celebrating since New Yearā€™s Eve is already on.

I fucking hate the whole show, nowadays starting roughly at Halloween, until we finally coast to the first working day of January when I can resume my normal life. Ever since Iā€™ve had any say in any of this, Iā€™ve been telling those who know me to fuck right off with their Merry Christmases, their Happy New Years and - most important of all - their Happy Birthdays.

Every year, I grab a bottle of hard liquor and drink New Yearā€™s Eve and my fucking birthday away, to wake up the next morning to a barrage of bleak well-wishing SMS and email messages from stores and forums I forgot to unsubscribe from. Those who know me of course know to avoid me like the plague during this entire period, and especially on December 31.

This year is no different. Or rather it is, for reasons known to some of you. The difference manifests itself in that the bottle of PGA on the floor apparently didnā€™t even make it to 2022 - unlike meā€¦ Ha! And like every every year Iā€™m waking up with a gigantic headache to the same sad collection of commercial electronic messages in my inbox.

But this year Iā€™m also waking up to you twoā€™s happy birthday messages. You didnā€™t know else you wouldā€™ve abstained. Yet for once Iā€™m genuinely touched. Thank you both for that, It warms my heart more than you can imagine.

2 Likes

Hmmmyes. While reading your text I felt kinda bad for my message, butā€¦ I like you. Iā€™m happy you exist, because weā€™ve had some great discussion and - while not knowing you ā€œin personā€ - I think youā€™re a somewhat special guy. Whatever that may mean, but well, Iā€™m happy youā€™re there and I hope you continue to do so :wink:

So letā€™s just say I used this day to appreciate your existence, and randomly chose the wrong date for that :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I sort of get it,
I also know at least some bits but try not to to pry

About 8 years ago I finally had enough trying to ā€œfixā€ an abusive fatherā€¦ treat me like shit once shame on youā€¦ treat me like shit 87 more timesā€¦ still shame on you?.. but also why am I bothering?

Cut ties for good, but of course it didnā€™t solve everythingā€¦ for 8 years or so I got to look forward to random test messages on holidays (important to them) like Fatherā€™s Day, thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, etc

Heā€™d drink and sulk and fume, and then channel all his hatred and toxicity towards me on holidays that I was supposed to enjoyā€¦ via text messages/voicemails/ fax if I had oneā€¦ you get the idea

After a while, itā€™s hard to not associate the toxicity with the holidaysā€¦ even though because of the toxicity I needed connection even moreā€¦ so it was especially destructive/self-destructive

Finally managed to drink and smoke himself to death last yearā€¦ was actually looking forward to not dreading the holidaysā€¦ but now I dread the reminder of the paternal family I cut ties with after his death,
Hard to not be reminded of a family that has failed you and turned its back on you, on ā€œfamily-holidaysā€

Long way to say ā€œI get itā€, but I donā€™t like just saying that as a copoutā€¦

Doesnā€™t change anything you are or have gone thru, or anything you still have to go thru

Just mean it as a ā€œyouā€™re re a bit less alone than you thinkā€

So, with all that said,
Happy birthday,
I enjoy bantering with you and your flavor of snark,
Certainly doesnā€™t hurt that your pretty damn knowledgeable and resourceful

Tell the bad to piss off and do something that you like, talk to someone you enjoyā€¦

The bad will always still be there, Iā€™m slowly learning and accepting thisā€¦ but you canā€™t let that shit define or control you

6 Likes

grafik

7 Likes

Are you implying that they might not like your ā€œI got a chip to become a cyborg but it was not enough, so I decided to go full machine and get uploadedā€ reply?

Ok, I might be talking about myself hereā€¦ Upload me now, goddammit!

3 Likes

Following Temps in C

While I had a pretty decent father overall, I wouldnā€™t want to burden either you or @anon3825968 with a wish that you donā€™t want.

So might I thank you both for your presence on the forum, and state that it would be a lesser place without your participation (and that of many others) and that I am glad to have ā€œmetā€ you.

And for all of you I give to you the most popular Scottish parting song before Auld Lang Syne was writtenā€¦ The Parting Glass and say goodbye to the last twelve months, and wish you all well for the next twelve. (And no Iā€™m not leaving)

1 Like

Does ā€œThe Scotsmanā€ not count?

I made a few memes:

7 Likes

In case yall wonder how fast my weather changes. We were in the 20s yesterday (Celsius) and today itā€™s snowing

2 Likes