The antiđŸš«-derailment🚃 & threadđŸ§” hijackingđŸ”« threadđŸ§” ⁉

Its amusing that you say that. The more you mess with linux the more you’ll see that the distribution doesn’t matter all that much. Most of the time there aren’t any large differences between them. It’s mostly what package manager is being used. Certain config files might be in a different place. A good example of this is the difference in where network configs are stored between Ubuntu and Redhat based distros. On Ubuntu its at /etc/network/ on redhat its /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ . At least that is the legacy way to do it. These days you should be working with network manager since it provides a handy dandy user interface :smiley:

But for the most part every linux distro is pretty much the same as any other. Logs are still where logs go and most of them use systemd and the worlds favourite kernel

2 Likes

I’m old enough to remember init scripts
 Help! :hamster_emoji_gif:

1 Like

SVR4 Init or BSD Init?

I’m old enough to remember when that was important.

I also remember that Hurd hadn’t been released because they were having trouble running it under emacs.

Strangely I haven’t heard too many similar complaints about systemd.

Package managers predate Linux by a few years
 But Chocolatey seems to be a reasonable Windows rip off.

Systemd replaces more than just Init scripts
 Syslog, ntpd,
 And it is only just beginning. (I know authentication is something they are looking at adding to systemd)

1 Like

Pam works well enough. And frankly its annoying that networking is rolled into systemd when last time i looked there wasn’t any good documentation on it.

PAM? They are working on getting rid of password files, and changing how home directories work.

Read this two year old article.

HAHA, that’s my point
But thanks for clarifying a few things.

Ohhhhh, I like Handy Dandy, thanks.

QUESTION: :thinking: I wonder what the collective noun for Linux users is :thinking: I’m going to call you
 Jockeys

Should I create a Linux Thread in the Lounge for you Linux Jockeys

3 Likes

simpsons-nerd

6 Likes

Aren’t we all nerds?

6 Likes

Alright. You Linux people can be mega nerds then :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Windows users are just lazy and accept all the tracking, unusablility and all other downsides, just because they’re afraid to make an Ubuntu USB :wink:
Honestly everyone I know, including me, regretted not switching to a Unix like system sooner.
It’s “You Windows people”, not the other way around :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If you are OK with Debian based distributions Kali is a rolling distribution that comes with some RFID tools by default.

2 Likes

There is also us windows people who:
A: have to use it for work
B: enjoy gaming without issue (tried it a while ago I.e. within 6months and can still be pretty hard to get games up and running)

2 Likes

Pah, gamers.

The worst bit is that the company I used to work for expected me to use Windows for all of the administrative crap but I was managing Linux and Unix servers so I either needed good tools or a second desktop.

I went the good tools route simply because I also used it as way to get administrator on my desktop box.

1 Like

Dual boot.

Dual boot.

4 Likes

WINE, WSL or Para virtualization.

There are many possible solutions. Dual booting is probably the most cumbersome and least friendly in a work environment

4 Likes

I mean sure, it’s laziness, but it’s not nearly as simple as just setting up a USB lmao. I don’t have the time rn to set up the OS the way I want to, copy over important files, install everything, find and configure alternatives for things that don’t have a Linux version, spend forever troubleshooting when I inevitably make a mistake, etc. I’ve spent years on windows getting everything just the way I want it. Doing the same on Linux isn’t all that appealing

1 Like

I do :sweat_smile:

My argument is that you don’t really know what you want and just made what you have tolerable.
Once you use a linux, found a good text editor and window manager, and wrote a couple simple convenience scripts you’ll never look back.
Whatever, you do you, it was a joke, I don’t actually care what OS you use, just what you use it for.
Use whatever lets you do your stuff.

Then you’re not part of “Windows people” you just use it when you have to, that’s normal.

3 Likes

Lots and lots of the games I’ve tried can’t run under wine for whatever reason. Driver compatability issues ect ect I don’t like it and hate it but not much I can do :frowning:

1 Like

Ubuntu and Steams Proton stuff are supposed to work well, last time I tried to run my fav game my enemies were invisible tho xD