The antiđŸš«-derailment🚃 & threadđŸ§” hijackingđŸ”« threadđŸ§” ⁉

For me the acceptable waffle ratio is just far too low. In my experience it’s like 10:2:1, shitty:acceptable:really good.

That’s a bad ratio. For pancakes, it’s always like 1:10:2. Pancakes are really hard to fuck up, most fall in the average range, but occasionally they’ll be really great.

I concede that potentially the best waffle encountered in the wild might beat the best pancake, but it’s like finding a diamond in the rough, but the rough is just full of human feces you have to dig through. Bad waffles are really bad.

4 Likes

Bizarrely, the best brownie I have ever had in my entire life, was at Chowpatty Beach in Mumbai, India

It was a “Sizzling Brownie”
A Sizzling hot plate, with a large brownie served on it, vanilla ice-cream scoops on top, and drizzled over that was a chocolate sauce; the hot plate warmed the brownie through, which melted the ice cream and the overflow chocolate sauce caramelised on the hot plate

something like this

:tongue:

4 Likes

How tf have i never heard of this?

1 Like

You can find that at a lot of American fast casual restaurants, albeit in varying quality.

Brownie a la mode

Sometimes served in a cast iron, not far from your dish.

You can find just about any desert a la mode, covered in ice cream. Absolutely delicious.

The company Edwards here in the states used to sell individual ones in the freezer aisle:

The ice cream was packed separate from the brownie. You’d microwave the brownie til it was super hot, and then plop the ice cream on top. I have really fond memories of those, but haven’t seen them in a long, long time. They tasted pretty good, but the ice cream was bottom of the barrel quality.

2 Likes

That’s exactly the problem, the potential ceiling for goodness is way in favor of waffles, but you can make a decent pancake anywhere there’s a hot surface

Waffle making is a lost art

1 Like

Not entirely lost. I have a cast iron wonderffle for making stuffed waffles. And a cast iron Griswold waffle iron. Treat them right and they make the best waffles.

Of course you need to use a good waffle batter recipe as well.

4 Likes

I will say
 I make an exception for waffles under one circumstance.
When they’re the big chonky ones that contain meat or some other breakfast food item

4 Likes

Something like this?

ARE YOU HUNGRY YET???

tenor

2 Likes

I cannot express how much I need that in my belly rn. I’m on hour 11 of a 16 hour shift, hungry as a mf. I cannot wait until 6am when I get to leave here and stop at the nearest restaurant to stuff my face like a malnourished wildebeest.
But to answer your question, yes, absolutely, without a doubt.

3 Likes

Wut?? I can get my passport in about 4 days. Why does the US one take so long?

1 Like

They don’t want their citizens leaving the USA to see that the grass can be greener elsewhere :wink:

For NZ :new_zealand:
It takes about 2-3days urgent service here, at twice the price, and the say about 4 weeks for standard service, but realistically, it only takes 1-2 weeks

2 Likes

I remember my Aunt was living in the USA many years ago, mid-90’s or something I think it was, and she went to buy a bottle of wine or something in some shop close to where she was living. The lad behind the counter asked for ID and she gave him her passport. The guy didn’t know what it was.

We have a same day turnaround for a new passport, but the appointment fee is really high. Though most of the time it takes less that a week so I rarely know of anyone who actually needed it.

2 Likes

If there’s something I’ve learnt from traveling, talking to people, and speaking three languages, is that the grass is the same shade of green in most places

If anything, I love the individualistic American culture. Moving there is tempting even with the existence of the IRS.

I wonder if there are other individualistic countries but with lower taxes and without the crazy academic left? Please don’t lynch me.

3 Likes

Used to make these all the time for breakfast. Mmmmm
 I need to get back into doing that

4 Likes

Honestly, I’m more of a french toast kinda guy, but waffles are a close 2nd.

3 Likes

I love french toast. Is it different over in the US to what I know it though. I think I remember watching something on tv before and someone was eating french toast but it has powdered sugar and syrup on it.

To me, french toast is just egg abd milk mixed and bread dipped into then fried. Is that different for you? or am I just misremembering.

2 Likes

Yeah egg and milk is the basic french toast. Some people add cinnamon and nutmeg for more flavor, like my family did when I was growing up (if we didn’t have nutmeg, we’d use brown sugar). The powdered sugar and syrup is definitely a must as well.

Apparently they call it “eggy bread” in the UK, that kinda threw me off when I heard that.

2 Likes

I’ve honestly never heard anyone call it eggy bread. But then again, im not from the UK. They be shtrange folk there hai.

:grin:

2 Likes

At least that’s what my British friend swears they call it. All I care about is how it tastes :yum:

1 Like

Haha, still not bad compared to the US.

For a first-time passport application, it’s normally the equivalent of 156 euro, and expedited service is an extra 57 euro. However, the expedited service only gives you 5-7 weeks rather than the 8-11 of standard service.

To add insult to injury, if you want fast shipping in addition to expedited service, it’s another 17 euro for 1-2 day shipping (after the 5-7 weeks of expedited service).

You can go to a passport office to get extra-fast service, but there aren’t many of them (aka must travel), and you still need an appointment. They only issue one for emergencies in that case, something like a funeral overseas.

I’d imagine I only got mine in 4 weeks b/c they weren’t super busy, and all of my documentation was well organized.

1 Like