The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

Buy a Chromebook and load Linux on it!

2 Likes

Lenovo once shipped actual malware. But yes, never ever use the Windows they give you, they all install things Iā€™d classify as malware. I think in Win terms itā€™s PUP, potentially unwanted program.

My next laptop is a framework 100%

1 Like

Iā€™m unboxing a System76 laptop today, Iā€™m thrilled to say :grin: They are a Linux OEM based local (to me) in Colorado.

1 Like

Iā€™d say the worst Iā€™ve had was an Alienware pc I bought (ikik hear me out) got a super good deal on it from my boss at the time 2080 i7 great system.
But it had this wifi driver installed that quite literally made the wifi unusable.
Ended up doing fresh windows install when I transplanted it into the new case, motherboard etc.
All of this to say fuck you Dell

1 Like

I have 2 laptops, the ā€œbeastā€ (Asus scar 15)
which I use for gaming and 3D design

And then an acer swift 1
If all you care about is battery life and not chrome os itā€™s greatā€¦ with efficient settings Iā€™ll see 12-18 hours
I recently dropped a larger m.2 in it

1 Like

Thatā€¦ kinda sums it all up!! XD

I have to use a Macbook at work, and I thank that every day, but exclusively because the only other option is Windows.

Itā€™s great to at least have a terminal!!
Butā€¦ even a macā€™s terminal doesnā€™t compare to a proper Linux terminal! * _ *

Although that can boil down to preferences, since the UI on Mac is great (if you like it. I hate that counter-intuitive know-it-all interface, but do appreciate some people find it goodā€¦ Sorta like Mayo ice cream, you know?)

Ultimately what kills me is the price.
I can buy all the exact same parts contained in a macbook, all brand new from the factory, pay handsomely someone to assemble it then flash a mac imageā€¦ and the price wonā€™t get even near a third of the price tag.

I might hate Chromebooks interface, but they do have a niche application.
It is the easiest device to make safe against hacking and malware.

I do agree. even if the only software installed is a plain, barebones Windows OSā€¦ you already got your malware right there!! :sweat_smile:

My current personal laptop is an old Windows Surface 3 with pimped hardware running a custom Black Arch Linux.

• Cost me a grand total of 34 U$D.
  • runs faster than my Macbook Pro from work.

Does have shitty internal storage thoughā€¦
And I still need to fix one glitch in the hardware implementation where my wify gets lost and I need to manually reset itā€¦

1 Like

I was thinking about this last night

I wish detachable laptop batteries hadnā€™t shit the bed as hard as they did

I long for a supremely large battery you can just snap on to the bottom

I imagine something about the exact footprint of the laptop, but filled to the brim with 18650 cells

3 Likes

Didnā€™t wanna clutter the other thread, but that reminded me of one of the posts that made me truly fall in love with Amal and DT

ā€œI expect it to die like a dog immediatelyā€ is regularly quoted amongst me and my friends haha

5 Likes

HAHAHA I was SO confused by the notification that my comment was quoted in THIS thread for a second thereā€¦

1 Like

I have never in my life heard of this abomination of a foodstuffā€¦I would try it thoughā€¦but it just sounds so WRONG

I am now departing the forum whilst I search for this devilā€™s spunkā€¦

2 Likes

here you go:

and this:

might be word by word exactly my reaction when I first heard of it! :rofl:

1 Like

I just want to know where mayonnaise flavored ice cream can be better served in the place of mayonnaise. This somehow is screaming chicken sandwich to me. On top of breaded and fried chicken breast next to waffles perhaps?

Edit: A Spear of pickle, a swirl of spicy buffalo sauce and sweet potato fries with a light dusting of garlic parmesan.

1 Like

wait till you see some of the other interesting ice cream flavors out thereā€¦ :laughing:

3 Likes

Again, I would try them, but my expectations would be low

3 Likes

perfectā€¦ thatā€™s where the bar is.

4 Likes

3 Likes

If you ever figure it out let me know, I got that on my surface go for a while and of course it happened right in the middle of hybrid school where when we were in school we did everything on laptops, and the last thing I wanted to do was use the backup Chromebooks

Damn!!
That is annoying indeed!

Glad to see more arch entusiasts around here! ^^

I did make one Arch on Surface3 a while ago. that one didnā€™t had this issue.
Then I came across another very cheap used Surface and got it to mod withā€¦

So I initially thought Iā€™d messed something up on the hardware while I was tinkering with it.
But after I flashed the same image on the first version Iā€™ve had (and tested with newer Arch builds) it also started having that issue.
So it must be a bug introduced somewhere on the fork of Arch Iā€™m using.

Once I have some time Iā€™ll look into it. Since I tend to use it for cyber security stuff or directly cabled through a pineapleā€¦ it kinda fell out of priority.

Yes. Yes. A hundret times.
How many pages of NIST standards do you need to make a Windows secure and private? (Hint: I think it has 5 digitsā€¦)
So much bloat to uninstall and disable, worse than Samsungs android lol.

1 Like

Oh wait I thought you were just saying it was with the surface. I donā€™t use arch