The antiđŸš«-derailment🚃 & threadđŸ§” hijackingđŸ”« threadđŸ§” ⁉

5 Likes

Who else checked the Wikipedia article to see if it was really added? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I believe Oxford’s definition as quoted here is a woefully narrow view. What about objects that emit their own light like the sun (stars), LEDs, bulbs, etc. What about structural color that is not a reflection but a refraction of light? Prisms? Actual rainbows in the sky from which we get our most anchient understanding of “color”
 those are not reflections
 yet we (humans) do perceive color from the light emitted or refracted (not reflected) that falls in wavelenth along the visual spectrum as allocated by and is defined by human experience.

Yes correct. This definition is also insufficient
 one could say that blind humans using natural or artificial echolocation techniques could perceive “color” because they can differentiate two otherwise identical objects by position alone.

echolocation

The dictionary definitions both fall short, so we must resort to common understanding - and nobody would claim that a blind person using echolocation is perceiving colors, even though they do use the visual centers of their brain to “see” what they are hearing. Would a lack of objects upon which to reflect echolocation pings against be considered “clear”? Perhaps, if one is to mean the path ahead of the blind person is “clear” of objects, but this meaning of clear indicates lack of something. I would argue that “clear” in the case of the glass full of water or air scenario, “clear” would also mean a lack of something - that something being the presence of any color at all.

Clear is not a color, it is the lack of color.

rest-my-case

1 Like

I completely agree, perhaps “interact” is a better word, a bit more inclusive

I wish I knew someone with synesthesia so I could ask them how they interpreted silence. But audio doesn’t directly translate to light. If we’re considering calling hearing “color” then we have to expand “color” to include physical feelings instead of being light specific, in which case you could argue heat is a form of “color”
(un-redacted because it’s considered “photochemical”, which is different enough from the way air pressure physically moves you to substantiate the claim to me)

This is where the sound=light analogy falls down for me in this case, an absence of returning sounds isn’t exactly the same as an absence of light that is perceptible to the human eye, it’s more akin to the earlier “no EM at all” example which we both agreed was the absence of color, are frequencies of air movement that are outside of human hearing but which animals or microphones may detect not “sounds”?

I think it’s also important to my argument to acknowledge that a total lack of EM emissions is measurably different than EM emissions in a range we just aren’t capable of seeing without assistance, just as a lack of sound is measurably different than air fluctuations outside of the human audible range

All you said is perfectly correct. but then, in the interest of randomness, I must ask:

Is “white” the “presence of all the colours”, or the “abscence of all colours”?

Because if you look at this from the right angle
 (oops, unintentional pun right there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Some colour theories class it as absence. others class it as presence.

Depending on the ink medium you got, mixing them all might get you white. or black. (or most likely a brown-grayish abomination)

Depending on the language you use, 0 stands for either black, or white
 or

drummroll please: Clear! :open_mouth:

:unicorn_romantic:

3 Likes

Since many colors can be experienced by receiving a combination of wavelengths on the em spectrum, not just a single wavelength, I would say white qualifies as a color
 it is a combination of wavelengths that we can “see” with our eyes and our brain interprets as “white”.

4 Likes

That touches my point!

is “colour” a wavelength?
Because a wavelength is a wavelength. so there must be more to “colour” than just being a microwave within a specific frequency. :thinking:

Otherwise, I might say that my oven throws so much red, sooooo intense red that my eyes can’t even perceive (infrared & “beyond”)
 to the point it cooks my frozen Lasagna. (well, this is technically correct, but feels weird addressing it like that, right?) XD

Or is “colour” the psychologycal phenomenon of identification of such wavelengths as interpreted by our brains, through our eyes? :unicorn_thinking:

And then I add:

Is the absence of something still a reference of that something?

i.e. if I say “this has no colour” (clear), the only way I may reach such conclusion is by looking at an object and failing to identify any of said wavelengths

Therefore, the root process behind that sentence is exactly the same process behind saying “look mommy! My guts are red!”

Just throwing some thoughts around because this meeting I’m on is boring me to death! but cams are on and I need to look busy on the keyboard. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, found a simpler way to put it!!

is the “absence” of wavelengths that we can “see” with our eyes and our brain interprets as “clear”. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

A counterpoint if you will. Colour is merely the human construct for communicating perceived wavelengths of light.

This is the differnce betwen pigment and light. What is being discussed is light and colour specifically. Since pigment results in light I consider the point moot.

a good point. However I think it is more fitting to say that clear only specifies the filtering affect of a particular medium(gas, liquid, solid, plasma). Clear being the absence of an apparent filter.

2 Likes

exactly! but nevertheless, both fall within “colour theory”, even if within distinct academic fields.

Just like Amal’s description (which is perfectly correct, btw) befits a “STEM-centric approach”
 if you go to the College of Building I have in my town, they do teach “colour Theory”, which is mostly focused around Pigment-oriented colours.

I beg to differ.

What sparked this was the question “do you consider Clear to be a colour?” :wink:

Therefore “light” is only one of the possible approaches to that. ^^

Yeah, I personally would steer more towards “clear is the perception of light distortion or accumulation of particles too small and scarce to be properly Identified”. Unrelated to wavelengths at all.

But then, where’s the fun in stating that? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hence I’m taking a more philosophical, mostly phenomenological, approach to the topic at hand!
just for the lulz
 :unicorn_romantic:

1 Like

you mean installed or converted?

If converted, you will need Amal to be at grindfest with his lab tools, and he may not be

2 Likes

Installed, it’s already converted :wink:

2 Likes

Sounds like a great plan

Hey guys im selling a ChameleonTinyPro on ebay if anyone is interested :slight_smile:

This was reported as spam, but I see you have been reading a few posts and its not just a hit and run.
We also dont often sell things here, but also not never

The one issue I do have is your price, at €100

These can be bought brand new with free shipment for €82.

Profiteering off the community is a no-no
so I’ll assume you weren’t aware, or you have included the EU tax.

I would suggest you

• offer a cyborg discount, or
  • adjust your price on ebay, or
  • delete your post
5 Likes

It’s worth noting that the 100eur is the bidding start price. 160eur buy it now.

1 Like

I’ve finally earned the devotee badge. I’m quite happy! Still haven’t implanted my chip though, I’ll do that in august i hope

9 Likes

Chip or not, once you’re Devotee, it’s permanent, there’s no going back. Ever. :vault_boy_thumbs_up:

7 Likes

So you’re fully controlled by Amal and his mind control network! Without any implants to begin with! :wink:

Ok, joking aside, how did you manage to hang around this place while resisting the urge to get electronics under your skin?

1 Like

It’s simple: the mind control is telling me not to get chipped yet!

Lol i bought the chip but the only person i found who’d do the installation is super busy, so i have to wait

4 Likes