The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

I dont use it often, but everytime ive used it, its done what it should.

Battery life really good.
Its lightweight, low profile.

Not a huge fan of the track pad, but dongle and :logo_bt: :computer_mouse: makes it more useable.

Iā€™m still shit with Linux

3 Likes

6 Likes

Went to see the dermatologist. Heā€™s trying to show me how his fancy scope works using a mole on my arm when his fingers touch my flexEm. He recoils immediately.

ā€œWhatā€™ve you got under your skin?ā€
ā€œA chip.ā€
ā€œWhy?ā€
ā€œI got tired of losing my car keys.ā€
ā€œAnd you use that?ā€
ā€œYup.ā€
ā€œWhat if the battery dies?ā€
ā€œIt doesnā€™t have a battery. It works like this.ā€
I point to the RFID FOB heā€™s wearing around his neck.
ā€œWhat if you get a new car?ā€
ā€œThen I put the reader in the new car.ā€
ā€œHuhā€¦ Ah, well about this scopeā€¦ā€

15 Likes

I was sooo proud, Little olā€™ EQ finally using the metric system, but then I noticed thisā€¦

Of course, even when you guys use metric, you have to ā€œAmericanise itā€

Now we just need to metricise @ODaily

2 Likes

The real question is how itā€™s pronounced. Do you say ā€œLIT-REā€ or ā€œLEE-TERā€?

3 Likes

Could be worse, apparently Canada is a wild Wild West in our war of units and has no idea whatā€™s going on

6 Likes

Theyā€™ve been hangin around the US too much.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, Iā€™m sitting here being the weirdo who understands bothā€¦

Colombia has this problem to a lesser extent. Almost everything is metric except for fuel, which is sold in gallonsā€¦ Good luck trying to have a meaningful fuel mileage indicator in your car over thereā€¦ Cars should have an option to display kilometers per gallon! please donā€™t lynch me

1 Like

Also, just realized

In the US, soda in large quantities is measured in liters

In small quantities itā€™s measure in ounces lol :joy:

So you can get a 16oz coke or 1-2 liters lol

1 Like

As far as I know in Europe monitor sizes are always in inches for some reason. I always wondered why.

1 Like

Good lord, not only do you use the wrong measurement, but you spell it wrong too !?

Fun fact, because I work in machining, I occasionally get metric dimensions, but my entire setup is in inches. So Iā€™ve kinda learned quicky equivalents. Everybody knows 13mm is almost 1/2", but 19mm is good at 3/4" and 10mm is almost .400"

Just about now 'ol Pilgrimsmaster is realizing I just made him read a paragraph about approximating metric values with metric units, imperial units, fractions, decimals, and close-enoughs. Who says metric canā€™t be fun?

5 Likes

Iā€™m going to continue trying to list metric units in non divisible by 10 fractions

1/7th of a meter

2 Likes

3/128cm!

They are - I had a nice 14" monitor for a long time and later switched to an insanely big 16" (with a weight close to a washing machineā€¦) :smile:. Same with old floppy disks - 3 1/2" and 5 1/4". Iā€™m not sure about why, but maybe it was because almost everything was based on US companies (Microsoft and Apple), and thus nobody cared about converting it into metric (after all, there were few people using computers in the beginning, and we nerds didnā€™t really care about the units - just happy having a monitor at all :wink: ).

4 Likes

9 Likes

I did an interview today and the interviewee mentioned wearables and insidablesā€¦ not sure how I feel about insidables. I kinda liked the wordā€¦ but also not.

Poll? Likey the word?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I feel the same wayā€¦ Iā€™d rather use the word implant. Insidable lacks permanece in some way, sure implants can be removed but I think that most of us got them for the long term.

3 Likes

I thought of another basic term while talking to them - augmentsā€¦ as in ā€œI got my RFID augment from Dangerous Things!ā€

5 Likes

Iā€™m tornā€¦
I donā€™t like the termā€¦ but itā€™s probably less likely to have associated stigmaā€¦ so it might be worth adopting it?

ā€¦people are dumb

6 Likes

Came to ask a question and got sidetrackedā€¦

Ordered a space mouse for cheap for easier shitty cad work

Want to 3D print a little unit that adds some macro keys

Like this

I canā€™t find a 9/12/15 key WIRELESS macro pad
Amazon has a bunch clearly by the same manufacturer under a zillion namesā€¦ that requires downloading sketchy software in sketchy mannersā€¦ and not sure I wanna play that game

Yes there are wired versionsā€¦ but I went out of my way to get a wireless 3D mouseā€¦ so I can quickly move it back and forth from a drawer seems stupid to them bolt on a corded accessory

Any suggestions?