The antišŸš«-derailmentšŸšƒ & threadšŸ§µ hijackingšŸ”« threadšŸ§µ ā‰

If Oregon is anything like western Washington then the rain will hardly ever be like it is over thereā€¦ here itā€™s rather tame ā€¦ just a lot in terms likeā€¦ you might get 2 weeks of straight mild cloudy rainy days whereas over there it tends to all just come down like crazy all at once.

Climate change is kicking in thoughā€¦ summers are way drier nowā€¦ wildfires burning down whole statesā€¦ people moving up from Cali and Oregon to Washington because the desert that used to be Southern California is now encroaching on mid and north Oregon in partsā€¦

Why not go for a drive and check the place out. You can crash on my fold out if you get up this way.

1 Like

@Zwack is currently an Oregonian, he may have some local knowledge for youā€¦

But we havenā€™t seen him for a while :sob:

3 Likes

I wonā€™t tell you about the disaster at work the other day then. We have too many projects with very short deadlines right now, and after working until Midnight on Tuesday and 7am to midnight on Wednesday, on Thursday I made two mistakes and brought down a non production instance.

As for Gold Beach. I have been through Gold Beach itā€™s about 200 miles south of me, near the California border.

I believe that Gold Beach and Brookings have a micro climate so they are warmer than the surrounding coastal areas. That area is known as the Banana belt.

Sorry I canā€™t really answer any questions about it specifically.

3 Likes

The rain varies from constant drizzle to drenching downpours, it also goes from vertical to horizontal just depending on the weather.

I have no real experience of Gold Beach though.

2 Likes

A classy offer for sure, especially given how I snore, but itā€™s a 36hr straight through drive. I figure in real world time thatā€™s a 4 day trip, one way. Then a day to recover, a day to look around, and 4 days back. Thatā€™s a 10 day trip to get to look around one day.

Amtrack doesnā€™t stop there, and itā€™d take even longer.

I guess I could fly, but Iā€™ve never done that before (really), and Iā€™d be car-lesss when I arrived. Nothing money wonā€™t overcome, butā€¦ Money IS a problem.

I guess Iā€™m just at the remote research stage. Itā€™s gonna be the same problem I had when I moved to Arkansas. I canā€™t go until I get a job, and I canā€™t get a job until I go.

Last time I solved the problem by selling everything I owned and buying a class A RV, and just drove down with everything I had left (cat and clothes).

1 Like

Fly over to Seattleā€¦ Iā€™ll pick you up and weā€™ll go for a drive :slight_smile: Iā€™ve not seen Gold Beach with, and we can swing by Astoria where Goonies was filmed!

9 Likes

4 Likes

Yes but how many cakes?

Looks like we got ourselves a foreigner fellas :slight_smile:

4 Likes

5 Likes

Cool article I came across today about attaching gold wires to individual cells.

3 Likes
1 Like

4XEN (1)

3 Likes

Actually no, itā€™s much less noticeable IRL and Iā€™ve come to realize that in a conversation you donā€™t see the back of peopleā€™s hands that much, let alone well-lit and still.
In 2-3 years I must probably got the question ~10 times and almost always while sitting around a table and being very exposed. 50% think itā€™s medical, the rest are just like ā€œwhatā€™s that?ā€.

1 Like

How many people do yoi think notice it, but dont ask?

Are there many / any that you over hear talking about it?

What about kids? They usually dont filter so much

Not that many I would say but obviously I canā€™t know. Even in public transportation with my hand holding on the bar people seem to completely ignore it. Everyone is completely captivated by their phones these days.

Maybe once? Iā€™m either bad at noticing it or they just donā€™t care that much.

I generally avoid them like the plague soā€¦ I dunno. Iā€™ve had to hangout with peopleā€™s children sometimes but I canā€™t remember getting any questions. And when itā€™s brought up they just stare timidly and then go back to shouting and being creepy or whatever :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Exactly what I was referencing! Sorry for my tirade, I passed a few tests today and celebrated without eating anything today which was a bad idea. But still, check the porta potty next time, seriously! That freaked me out today!

2 Likes

I think itā€™s similar to people with a missing finger. It takes quite some time to notice. Your brain assumes normality until the circumstances make it that your eyes rest on that place for a few seconds. You usually fixate on oneā€™s face.

2 Likes

Should be a dangerous things sticker

4 Likes

:pbjtime:

2 Likes