The official Titan crowdfunding campaign thread

Thanks for the clarification, I didn’t think that the flexes had that inner sterilisation pouch!

ah yes they do… this is so the flex inside pouch can basically come out of the poly bag and sit and let all the liquid evaporate, which it does rather quickly… and then afterward still be safe to handle enough to get it opened over the sterile field for installation.

1 Like

Nice flexDF beta!

Titan Backer Coupon Details

We are about to send out a Titan Backer Coupon email update to backers! When it comes to use of the coupon, here’s how it will work;

Applying the coupon
You can do this on the cart or checkout screen. The most common method would be to apply it to the cart just before checkout.

Email address on the checkout screen
You must use the same email address during checkout that you received the coupon code with.

Failure to use the same email address
If you do not supply the same email address as was used to receive the coupon, all associated discounts will be removed from your total.

Happy shopping backers!

16 Likes

I notice that the titan is listed on the list for discounts, is that a reference to those that bought several and got the discount, or is it implying that they might be for sale again within the next year?

3 Likes

Haha Michelle was just running down the product sku list and I think she overlooked that. Nothing implied here just a mistake.

To be fair I also looked over the list and also missed it.

2 Likes

There’s also a white xSIID…

1 Like

Teeny tiny little Titan update

Welding
All units are being welded now. Finishing happens after with a final machine process and polish. Should have an update toward the end of the month with shipping ETA to us… then we do all kinds of accelerated testing.

Laser
A few days ago I received the CO2 laser… a Glowforge basic model.

Sadly, it was DOA. The horizontal print head control is non-functional. I am waiting for support to reply.

7 Likes

yeah… soon to be in inventory with the next batch shipment from the factory :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Any update on the purple one?

2 Likes

It’s purple :purple_circle:
You’re welcome :blush:

3 Likes

Clearly this is the kind of top notch content that has made @Pilgrimsmaster a true leader of this community. Much appreciated. Thank you for your service to the community

8 Likes

purple not yet an option… sorry my dudes.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, looks like I’ll buy a blue one instead!

Would it be silly idea to cover a white LED with a coloured layer of plastic to give the light a ‘tint’?
Some eastern countries used to manufacture car stereos and whatnot with a plastic cot put on a BB LED to make the screen or buttons to glow in blue.
Blue was the hype thing in the early 2000s where I lived, some hacked their phone inserting blue acetate behind the keyboard.
Real buttons…I know :rofl:

Can’t think of a reason why it would not work, mainly because I don’t know a lot about silicone. I’m sure some could list a few reasons. :nerd_face: Teach me!

1 Like

So one big issue with that is that it tints the light by blocking some wavelengths of light and letting the wavelengths of the desired colour through. The side effect of this is that, depending on what colour it is and how deep you want it, it is much much dimmer and far less efficient.

As to actual feasibility… I’ll let Amal or someone else deal with that side of it!

1 Like

I don’t think it’s silly… but it might not have the exact effect you were hoping for… LEDs release a lot of light from a very small point inside the LED’s casing, and it is not well diffused only a fraction of a millimeter away from this source point and the outer casing of the LED itself. This light intensity tends to “push through” tinting, specially when the layer of tint is very thin… so ultimately you will probably not get the desired result… not really… and at best you might get a bright spot of off-color and the surrounding area properly tinted in the color mix you want.

Also there are some odd things happening with certain colors of LEDs… some do not actually emit the color you are seeing but a collection of wavelengths which mix in your eye / brain to produce the color you think you are seeing… so adding tint over top of this will create a color mix for each wavelength emitted that will probably not result in the ultimate color you want to see. I like this guy;

Light is weird.

1 Like

Indeed! :upside_down_face:
The reason I asked this, because I came along with a similar challenge with a photo project.

The light that my DIY torch casts varies from looking into the LED directly. So the result could be at least questionable.
On the other hand I am almost certain there would be some Beta testers volunteering to try different shades.
…I would risk to presume: prototyping it would not be too expensive.
I can’t tell how time consuming it is though.

Diffusing the light source even if small is also possible. Frensel (frenel) lens would be slightly more effective, compared to a diffuesr.
Are they available in SMD?? Wouldn’t be surprised.

Maybe you can tell if it actually worth investigating this topic, or just get a purple LED sourced. ¯_( ツ )_/¯

1 Like

Actually: You might want to play with your laser<( ╹ڡ╹)> _/, once it’s up and running.

1 Like

To build on this,
The side effect of blocking some of the wavelengths is that the energy from them has to go somewhere, and if it’s not out of your hand as light then it’s into your hand as heat.
How much heat? No idea. But it’ll be heat none the less.

In a previous post of mine I eluded to this effect. When using a white flashlight the flesh only transmits the red wavelengths, everything else is converted to heat. It got hot enough that I could only hold my hand on it for around 3 seconds.
Conversely, when using a red flashlight, because nearly all of the light is transmitted with very little absorption, I was able to hold my hand on it almost indefinitely.

I suppose though that the difference is my white flashlight was ~3800 lumens, while the implants are significantly less than that :wink:

2 Likes